songs with multiple versions

Discuss all things Ariel Pink related here.

songs with multiple versions

Postby masmango » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 pm

can we get a comprehensive list of the ariel pink songs with multiple versions/ recordings? as i'm sure most of you know, some versions are sped up, slowed down, mono vs stereo, or extended. i don't have any way myself of compiling such a list (i've been away from my pink collection for a while), so i need some help. any info on the songs would be appreciated too, such as which versions came first, what the differences are, etc.

here are a few i know of off the top of my head:
l'estat - there are at least 3 versions of this that i know of; there's the new studio recording on Before Today, then there's the version from Oddities and Sodomies, and there's the version from yas dudette with the different guitar parts.
young pilot astray: the version on the doldrums is really quiet and muddy, there's another version that's a whole lot cleaner, i can't remember what it was on, though
before today/dazed in dreams - isn't part of this song a cover? i've heard multiple renditions of this.
crying: one version has a lot of vocal effects
facts of destiny: the stereo version from scared famous has harmonized vocals and has a slightly slower tempo
ballad of bobby pyn: same story as young pilot astray
howling at the moon: there's a slowed down version somewhere
can't hear my eyes
(r)evolution's a lie
beverly kills
deathcrush 99
witchhunt suite: i personally like the live recording better.
fantasm
masmango
mausketeer

Re: songs with multiple versions

Postby PinkHead99 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Fast Forward Vinyl Version has a few songs that are different. Kitchen Club has an extended ending and the vocals seems different. There's also the song, the title evades me, "Do the words gold mean anything to you" You guys can help me out! Anyway, the vocals are like an octave higher.
PinkHead99
anonymaus

Postby MausterofDisguise » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 pm

"Inmates of Heartache"!
I don't think it's a whole octave higher, just a bit sped up. Voices change drastically with speed changes I think.
However "Crying" does sound like a different vocal take an octave lower on Oddities Sodomies
MausterofDisguise
city maus

Postby stephan1423 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:24 pm

ha a whole octave is a little much, what albumis the fast version of inmates on im guessing fast forward or scared famous but i have wierd versions of them so im not sure :sherlock: :creep: :headscratch:
stephan1423
anonymaus

Postby masmango » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:55 am

this doesn't really count, but the guitar riff from "he's good" (oddities and sodomies) was used for "butthouse blondies"... i always wished "he's good" had gone beyond unfinished status, but i'll take butthouse blondies anyway. i just loved the lyrics to "he's good"...

also, i read a while back that "make room for harry" has another alternate version out there somewhere... i can't remember what it's on, but i've never heard it. can anyone verify that for me?
masmango
mausketeer

Postby lockedinsidethekey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:03 pm

there are so many i think it would need its own site. the slowed down version of howling at the moon is on DUH.
really, there are so many. gopacapulco on scared famous is has less paned things than the version
on scared famous/ff>>. and the song "scared famous" on scared famous/ff>> has an added (/subtracted)
guitar through-out it. also on scared famous/ff>>, theres a version of baby comes around that is slower (i think). why can't i be me is also different on the scared famous/ff>> version.
theres among dreams on The doldrums and among dreams on demonstration bootleg, which
has a phaser effect on the guitar. demonstration bootleg also has clearer louder versions of crying, dont think
twice love, young pilot astray, a slow verison of the bottom, and a really tape-phasey version of every night i die at miagis. also a slower verison of something in your eye.
gox 2 is everywhere. same deal with b42day/iatetheafternoon. the ballad of bobby pin on DUH is slower than the
doldrums version. the DUH verison of bogalusa is way better. way clearer. same with lets build a campfire there.
theres a slower verison of r. stevies brain on "papergutz." liquid sun on the light dead sea, volume 1 comp is better
than the live verison on welcome to our world. i like those live versions of young pilot astray and until the night dies
a lot. another version of omen is on light dead sea and its way clearer.
theres more. like stereo and mono verisons. and other shit. theres a lot though
cheye
lockedinsidethekey
anonymaus

Postby pluckypurcell » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:17 pm

there are at least two versions of moya around too.

edit: theres also a difft version of privacy
pluckypurcell
little maus on the prairie

Postby meewillis » Sun May 22, 2011 5:34 am

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just got back from a parallel universe. The only difference between this universe and ours is the outro of Somewhere In Europe transitions smoothly into Hotpink. Here is the Isolated result: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22067649/Hotpin ... sition.mp3
meewillis
anonymaus

Postby j0rdan » Sun May 22, 2011 11:42 am

weird, where did you get that?
j0rdan
mausketeer

Postby masmango » Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 pm

sounds like the radio fuzz bit was just snipped out. funky.
masmango
mausketeer

Postby meewillis » Sun May 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Every time I listen to somewhere in europe I feel like this should happen, but it doesn't. I just hacked it together in audacity.
meewillis
anonymaus

Postby meewillis » Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Also, there's a part in dungion mystica/mtv n' d&d with an early version of the opening strains of round and round (about 0:46).
meewillis
anonymaus

Postby joe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 pm

It's cool that you guys know about all these. I thought I was a big fan but most of this info is new to me.

I definitely wish "He's Good" was finished as well. The lyrics sounded a lot better than on "Butt House Blondies" and it would have just been cool to hear it produced in the style of his older music rather than with the full band.

"Doggne, Shegone" on Lover Boy sounds kind of slowed down compared to the version on YAS Dudette, and it's almost impossible to make out the lyrics. Both versions sound pretty cool though in their own ways, one of my fave A. Pink songs. I'm pretty sure "Little Wig" on Before Today is an old song too, like "Beverly Kills" and "L'estat"
joe
anonymaus

Postby pluckypurcell » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:50 pm

yah there are versions on both DUH and oddities sodomies
pluckypurcell
little maus on the prairie

Postby yoghurtt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 am

this topic is complicated sometimes !
I'd like to hear the older version of beverly kills... someone find on which album is it ?
yoghurtt
anonymaus

Next

Return to Talk