first ariel pink experience

Discuss all things Ariel Pink related here.

Re: first ariel pink experience

Postby PinkHead99 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 pm

the fast friends upside-down bat seatshirt

I got that one too, in red.
PinkHead99
anonymaus

Postby mgubia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 am

´
Last edited by mgubia on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgubia
anonymaus

Postby ScienceFriction » Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 am

Well, this is my first time posting here and I hope this is an okay thread to pick. I first got into Ariel Pink through Mexican Summer with the Can't Hear My Eyes 7" towards the end of 2008, pretty late in the game sadly. From that point on I did all the catching up I could and I've been hooked since. The single version of Can't Hear My Eyes is still my favorite Ariel Pink song. I love way he recalls older music styles, most of which I grew up on. I don't really know much about how other people feel about his music, but there is something about it which draws me in, but makes me feel uneasy at the same time. I suppose it's part of the charm of his work, and I never had that feeling listening to music before.
ScienceFriction
anonymaus

Postby j0rdan » Wed May 19, 2010 3:10 am

ScienceFriction wrote:Well, this is my first time posting here and I hope this is an okay thread to pick. I first got into Ariel Pink through Mexican Summer with the Can't Hear My Eyes 7" towards the end of 2008, pretty late in the game sadly. From that point on I did all the catching up I could and I've been hooked since. The single version of Can't Hear My Eyes is still my favorite Ariel Pink song. I love way he recalls older music styles, most of which I grew up on. I don't really know much about how other people feel about his music, but there is something about it which draws me in, but makes me feel uneasy at the same time. I suppose it's part of the charm of his work, and I never had that feeling listening to music before.

welcome to the boards!

I've only been listening to him maybe 1-2 years longer than you, but I know exactly what you mean. I remember reading an article describing ariel's music as "nostalgic pop songs from a time that never was" or something like that, and I thought it summed up his music perfectly.
j0rdan
little maus on the prairie

Postby ScienceFriction » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 am

j0rdan wrote:welcome to the boards!

I've only been listening to him maybe 1-2 years longer than you, but I know exactly what you mean. I remember reading an article describing ariel's music as "nostalgic pop songs from a time that never was" or something like that, and I thought it summed up his music perfectly.

Thank you! I'm always nervous joining a forum.

Definitely, and I think that may be part of the why his music makes me feel weird, it tricks your mind by making you think it's both old and new. It's great because not only is Ariel's music great, but it you feel comfortable and excited at the same time. I can't think of much music that does that for me.
ScienceFriction
anonymaus

Postby pat dry » Thu May 27, 2010 11:08 pm

a roommate of mine had the Doldrums LP and was playing side A on repeat in his room (a walk-in closet), and the rest of us heard it playing through the door. It was blowing my mind (through the door) and I knew I had to hear more. I bought the CD version and listened to it over and over again. It was like hearing music inside someone's head (Ariel's); music made not with instruments, but imagined: made of thought. No other music has had such a magical effect on me.
I have worshipped at the altar of Ariel Pink ever since.
I don't buy a lot of music anymore, but I feel this music is valuable art worth paying for.
pat dry
anonymaus

Postby tenenbaum » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:15 pm

between 2002-2006 I lived/worked between Alaska and Far East Russia, somewhat isolated and deprived of new music and concerts. While visiting Toronto in 2004, my friend picks me up from the airport. In the car's cd player was a copy of the House Arrest/Loverboy double cdr release. I forget what song it was but it immediately caught my attention and left an indelible impression on my mind.

Returning to AK, I ordered Doldrums off Paw Tracks. Listening to that album with headphones that first night in my dark/cold Alaskan cocoon blew my mind and myself away! Among Dreams, followed by For Kate I Wait, was the icing on the psychedelic cake that left me completely hooked!
Last edited by tenenbaum on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenenbaum
anonymaus

Postby pinkspoons » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:39 am

tenenbaum wrote:Returning to AK, I ordered Doldrums off Paw Tracks. Listening to that album with headphones that first night in my dark/cold Alaskan cocoon blew my mind and myself away! Among Dreams, followed by For Kate I Wait, was the icing on the psychedelic cake that left me completely hooked!

there is something about this album that screams isolation. the first time ever delved into the doldrums i was living in NY. surrounded by millions i never felt more alone. this album expresses that feeling flawlessly.

:truluv:
pinkspoons
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby cubbykat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 am

Mine was through the Human Ear website - after they first signed up Gary Wilson for the CD he eventually did with them, I was curious to check out some of the other artists on the label - not sure what the first one I downloaded was, but the Doldrums was the one that stuck, and it was the start of a several month journey to get my hands on as much as possible.
cubbykat
anonymaus

Postby j0rdan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:00 am

cubbykat wrote:Mine was through the Human Ear website - after they first signed up Gary Wilson for the CD he eventually did with them, I was curious to check out some of the other artists on the label - not sure what the first one I downloaded was, but the Doldrums was the one that stuck, and it was the start of a several month journey to get my hands on as much as possible.

two whole years lurking... how could you resist the urge to talk about his music? aha
j0rdan

Postby pinkspoons » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 am

just gave the owner of my local record shop his first ariel experience... he loves it btw...
pinkspoons
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby pluckypurcell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 pm

yes, a coworker of mine finally relented and bought the new album after hearing me talk nonstop about him since i took the job in like march-ish and then reading some review. she's into it i think, and i'm bringing her doldrums and house arrest tomorrow. feels good man.

let's spread like the plague
pluckypurcell

Postby j0rdan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

unfortunately anyone I've ever played ariel pink for doesn't like it. especially my girlfriend, she DESPISES it haha
j0rdan

Postby pinkspoons » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:44 pm

j0rdan wrote:unfortunately anyone I've ever played ariel pink for doesn't like it. especially my girlfriend, she DESPISES it haha

time to kick her to the curb!!! :lol:
pinkspoons
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby masmango » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 am

i was one of those people who hadn't even heard of ariel until the doldrums came out in 2005 (or was it 2004?). but at that point in time i was becoming very disillusioned with modern music almost across the board. i got so tired of the egoism of the underground and felt that music had suffered greatly from it.
so anyway, my roommate told me i had to listen to the doldrums, so i did, but with a completely skeptical set of ears. out of that first listen, i really only liked "among dreams", mainly because of how simplified and classic it was in it's approach. it was like a song out of the 50's that had slowly disintegrated through the years and might have been dipped in acid at some point. three years later, while watching some of R. Stevie Moore's brilliant VHS recordings on youtube, i stumbled across ariel's video for "politely declined." it was then that i found out about ariel's DIY, reel-to-reel habits of recording, that he'd spent years cooped up listening to good records, constantly recording on tape. at that time ariel was having a lot of trouble touring and that a lot of people weren't getting the music at all. he still hadn't formed the band as we know it, and he sure as hell hadn't made any big waves in music yet, but i respected him immensely for doing what he was doing.
needless to say, i was totally hooked, and i sat there that day until i'd listened through Worn Copy, House Arrest, Scared Famous/FF>>, Odds and Sods, and Underground (only taking bathroom breaks), picking out my favorites along the way and listening to them over and over and over. i couldn't believe he was managing to make music like that. no one else was doing it with the same amount of lucidity. no one else had the guts to make those sorts of sounds. now it's been another three years, and ariel is finally getting some recognition. i just hope he rubs off on everybody. the music scene (at least as it is here) could really use more of him in it. maybe it would snap the monotony.
masmango
mausketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk