Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
 Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41 am 
little maus on the prairie

AppTrans wrote:
hey good choices FM
i just finished The Stranger, it is SO good. it's very thoughtful, but also very stylish writing. -all of the others have been very good and interesting too, so far

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Have you read The Fall? Really makes you feel a bit disillusioned with humanity, but I guess it's all about the inhumanity in people.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:58 am 
little maus on the prairie

no, i haven't read that but i'll certainly add it to my list, LL. it sounds really interesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:12 am 
hippopotamaus

_

Last edited by MausterofDisguise on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
try this one out
it's very relevant :|

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:31 am 
anonymaus

I've been reading Don Dellilo's 'Underworld'. It's one of the better books I've read in a while. My next book on the chopping block is William James' 'Varieties of Religious Experience'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:28 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

LadyLazarus wrote:
Reading an outrageous French book called The Tutu that was banned and lost for 100 years. With scarcely a chapter's breath in-between, there has been a woman suckling her pet garter snakes from her own tits; a tavern tramp devouring a maggot-riddled dead cat with ghoulish zeal; a foul sea of vomit and shit; a ménage a trois between the protagonist and a pair of sickly conjoined twins who are decorated with red rashes and weeping pustules; a woman who picks her nose, kneads the snot into fine pellets and eats them; and a young, foul-mouthed Lothario as God who takes delight in destroying humanity. Recommended.
I think I'll read this one, is it easy to obtain or is it rarer? I'll have to do some research

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:58 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I found it easy to get ahold of on amazon and eBay since it has recently been reprinted by Atlas Press. There is a link to buy the hardcover here: http://www.atlaspress.co.uk/index.cgi?a ... &number=19

I have a more complete synopsis of this book I wrote a few weeks ago:
Quote:
The Tutu by Leon Genonceaux is quite possibly the vilest book I have ever read. Each character delights in the other's misfortunes, reveling in amorality, debauchery, blasphemy, cannibalism, incest, exhibitionism, infanticide and shitting. Brain, barf and booger-eating, sputum-sucking, motherfucking, skin-flaying: it's all in there. There is a lactating man. A two-headed prostitute who begets a four-headed progeny. A tree that grows people, some of them headless. The tree is watered by getting ritualistically pissed on at the roots. There is even a scene where the clergy is made decelibate and a few centimeters of an adulterer's penis is guillotined in a church brothel.
I read it mostly as novelty: this curiosity purported to be the strangest book penned in the 19th century (or indeed EVER). It did not disappoint. I voraciously devoured it much in the same spirit the protagonists ate their own vomit.
Perhaps I would have gleaned more from it had I been a French historian or Nietzschean scholar, mulling over the satirical indictment of the era's decadence and ministerial impunity.
For me, it was more of a freak show with dashes of disarmingly sincere poetry.
Obviously, this is the highest endorsement ever coming from me.

Speaking of rare book curiosities, does anyone have any leads on where I might find a copy of Luigi Serafini's Codex Seraphinianus for under £60?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 pm 
city maus

just finished reading this..

[ img ]

i've been a big star fan for ages, but was unfamiliar with much of his solo work.
it has inspired me to investigate his back catalog.
what a strange musical career this man has had.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:26 am 
anonymaus

A couple months ago I finished the manuscript for a novel that I variously would call a satirical geopolitical thriller, a 21st century proletarian novel with afrofuturist elements, or something else. I call it Raving Radicals Bathed in Blax. It's about a group of left-wing radicals who enjoy free party raves and become embroiled in a transnational revolutionary struggle. I pitched the story to some publishers but got no takers, though I 'm fairly certain the writing's pretty dece. Anyway, maybe the subject matter is too taboo or just not seen as "marketable", so I am planning to release it for free on the internet in installments on my wordpress website. You can read more about the book here: https://danielkbuntovnik.wordpress.com/ ... d-in-blax/. I have a facebook page and twitter as well that you can find links to on my wordpress. I'm hoping to build up a bit of an audience before I post the first chapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm reading the Kim Gordon book and it's a really quick read, one of those books you go through in two or three hours, it's enjoyable
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:57 pm 
anonymaus

Just wanted to let people know that I've started posting chapters of my book on my blog. I'm up to 9 chapters now (Out of 49!). Take a look and see what you think (link two posts up).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:16 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Just picked this up today and will dive in once I've finished Carson McCullers' The Ballad of the Sad Café.[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:06 am 
hippopotamaus

_

Last edited by MausterofDisguise on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »