Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 am 
anonymaus

Hey dudes!

I came across this sweet article in this mag where Ariel talks about the songs on Before Today..

http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010 ... riel-pink/

Discuss.. it is pretty cool I think.

What struck me was when he said he wrote "Can't Hear My Eyes" when he was 8yrs old. What's up with that? How does he write songs and melodies when he can't play an instrument? :sherlock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:17 am 
anonymaus

tnx that was pretty cool!cool site too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 pm 
mausketeer

he mentioned joining 4AD primarily to support the whole band going on tour and to gain some notoriety, but that he's looking forward to being a free agent again. does this mean we'll be seeing another 4AD album or two before he leaves the label?
i also really want to hear the 8-track cut of "can't hear my eyes" he mentioned. and more from the "revolutions a lie" period he called "the best shit nobody's heard."

very good article. thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 am 
anonymaus

I am glad to read ariel pink needed 4AD just for money...
Because when I first heard Before Today last year I tought that it wasn't the Ariel Pink I expected to listen and the one I used to... I am so sad that I've never seen him/them live before this album.
Okay some guys would tell me that an artist must evolute(sorry for the word) his music and bla bla bla... but Ariel Pink 's Haunted Graffiti didn't need it... all the more they should have keep John Maus as keyboard because Loverboy is so perfect (haha im joking)... well I think I am to subjective and that my feelings would change nothing because ARIEL PINK is still the BEST .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 am 
mausketeer

ariel has definitely changed his sound, but only as far as who plays the instruments. as he said in the interview, he is still writing all the music, but he's basically giving the instrumental side of things over to the band. but it seems to me that he feels a lot of personal freedom in the writing process now that he doesn't have to figure out how to play everything.
i really like that ariel is still bringing old songs out of the vault and breathing new life into them (can't hear my eyes... written when he was 8!!) until before today came out i'd always wondered what songs like l'estat would sound like if they'd had a studio behind them, so Before Today didn't get me down. and i'd love to hear what he'd do with a second studio album. every haunted graffiti album has it's own unique sound, and before today is no exception. imagine what else he can do in a studio that we haven't heard yet. and i'm sure more 8-track recordings will eventually surface.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am 
anonymaus

masmango wrote:
he's basically giving the instrumental side of things over to the band
Damn I missed it in the interview... now I understand why BT is different , anyway is a good album and as you said Ariel Pink can do miracle with a studio and he's still this genius we love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm 
anonymaus

masmango wrote:
but it seems to me that he feels a lot of personal freedom in the writing process now that he doesn't have to figure out how to play everything.
i still find this notion of making music without playing instruments baffling.. :P