first ariel pink experience

Discuss all things Ariel Pink related here.

first ariel pink experience

Postby pluckypurcell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm

so i sometimes wonder how other people managed to stumble upon haunted graffiti before he earned the 'godfather of chillwave' moniker.

how did you all first get into ariel?

i'll start, i guess: i was in college and on break with some friends from home. the doldrums had just dropped, as they say, and one of my friends had it with them. we took a pot-smoking car ride into the countryside, he put it in, and i was hooked before the end of among dreams. it was the start of an obsession, i guess you could say.

now it's your turn. was it a friend that clued you in? find it on your own on the internet? maybe even knew about him before the doldrums (which if so, hook us up with some unrelesead shit)?
pluckypurcell
little maus on the prairie

Re: first ariel pink experience

Postby j0rdan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm

a couple years ago a skateboard company called krooked released a video called naughty which featured a few ariel pink tracks. the song which really caught my attention was "everynight I die at miyagi's."

not long after that, I downloaded house arrest. I couldn't really get into it at first, but for the next few weeks I became fascinated with it. I couldn't stop listening to it. now everytime I listen to that album it reminds me of that time of my life, it's weird how music does that.

I think the next album I listened to was loverboy. at that point I was hooked and had to get my hands on everything available on the internet :666D:
j0rdan
mausketeer

Postby drpatrick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

A musician friend of mine who used to live in LA was talking to me on the phone one day and told me about another musician guy he was friends with named Ariel Pink and how he was going to see him live that evening. He told me about his music and right away I was incredibly intrigued. This was in 2005 just after Worn Copy was re-issued through Paw Tracks. I went onto the Paw Tracks website and listened to a free mp3 of "Jules Lost His Jules" and have been hooked ever since.
drpatrick
anonymaus

Postby daveh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 pm

i heard him several times in 2006 after getting into animal collective, and seeing him on paw tracks because of ac... then hearing deakin gush about his music, i checked it out...and it never really hit me as genius til a long road-trip to a joanna newsom concert... lol. my brother burned a disc, i believe it was house arrest, and i was hooked.

edit- check that. i think it was 2007 that i really got into him... it was either a joanna newsom roadtrip in 07 or a sonic youth roadtrip in 06... can't remember
Last edited by daveh on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveh
anonymaus

Postby pinkspoons » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 pm

while in film school, right after doldrums came out, i stumbled on his stuff because it had graffiti in the title and i am obsessed with street art. i listened to strange fires first. i liked it ok but it wasn't until a 2 years or so later when i moved up to new york that i really delved into his work. i found doldrums, house arrest, and worn copy all in the used section at kims. they were 7 dollars each and for 21 dollars i became a lifer. ever since i have been completely obsessed with getting every bit of his material. :truluv:
pinkspoons
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby dean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 pm

daveh wrote:i heard him several times in 2006 after getting into animal collective, and seeing him on paw tracks because of ac... then hearing deakin gush about his music, i checked it out...and it never really hit me as genius til a long road-trip to a joanna newsom concert... lol. my brother burned a disc, i believe it was house arrest, and i was hooked.

edit- check that. i think it was 2007 that i really got into him... it was either a joanna newsom roadtrip in 07 or a sonic youth roadtrip in 06... can't remember

Similar story. Was into Animal Collective, whenever Sung Tongs was - I remember looking at similar related artists, and via the Paw tracks stumbled across him... thought wtf is this nonsense, and didn't listen to him for a couple of months. A few days after he played the Netherlands I thought I'd give him more of a listen, and I was totally blown away. Missed him on that tour, but caught him since.

*edit* date wise - the gig happened on May 30th 2006, so prior to that I wasn't a fan, then *it happened*
dean
maus is missing

Postby wool » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 pm

this was the first time i saw him/heard him in 2005 in st. louis, mo: http://vimeo.com/8980813 i was there by happenstance really (having only previously heard for kate i wait), but now i consider it fate or something. i was 16 and immediately hooked (and still am, will forever be).

i purposely extended my trip home from studying abroad in denmark last may so i could catch him in brighton. this is one of the photos i took there: Image

the doldrums is the first album that made me think differently about him and a lot of other things. i am constantly searching for any/all vinyl. my only "collector" piece is the witchhunt suite for ww3 12", and i will never part with it.
wool
anonymaus

Postby wool » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:35 pm

j0rdan wrote:a couple years ago a skateboard company called krooked released a video called naughty which featured a few ariel pink tracks. the song which really caught my attention was "everynight I die at miyagi's."

mark gonzales + ariel pink = bliss
wool
anonymaus

Postby MausterofDisguise » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 am

I heard clips of his paw tracks releases via itunes and several 30-second snippets of songs were stuck in my head. I had no money, but shortly after I got an itunes gift card for a birthday present and immediately bought house arrest and the doldrums. After maybe one minute into "hardcore pops are fun", it felt like my brain "melted" and my taste in music collapsed. Now I'm always looking for that first high, like what they say about meth addicts. Ha!
MausterofDisguise
city maus

Postby MausterofDisguise » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 am

pluckypurcell wrote:so i sometimes wonder how other people managed to stumble upon haunted graffiti before he earned the 'godfather of chillwave' moniker.

Chillwave, what a dumb name! It seems offensive that aphg is grouped with a new trend, especially since he's been making music since at least college. it's great that his career is finally coming up and he's getting respect from other artists. Now if only RSM would gain some real credit!
And fuck pitchfork too!
MausterofDisguise
city maus

Postby dean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah fuck chillwave! AMEN BROTHER
dean
maus is missing

Postby rudolphhat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 am

my first exposure was the photograph featured on the MY MOLLY EP. I stumbled upon it on the internet one night back in 2006 on his angelfire website and just stared at it, lost in curiosity. my local record store carried some of his stuff. i remember seeing ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI among the CDs and I would remember that photograph and my imagination grew, but I was so nervous of the building intuitive hype I was feeling to buy a CD, I didn't want to be let down. A couple months later I was browsing livejournal and this girl posted THE DOLDRUMS & the demonstration bootleg SCARED FAMOUS / LOVERBOY & MY MOLLY EP on rapidshare and immediately downloaded them. It was perfect timing because I was just fired from delivering pizzas at marcos and I was living in this 100 year old building that was once a catholic nunnery and in the 80's was turned into an artist residency by the city. So this room I'm renting, is already lost in time and I'm staying up late drawing and smoking grass and I start listening to SCARED FAMOUS and I'm immediately disorientated into a blissful reverie as these sounds I'm hearing seem so familiar yet totally new and absolutely delightful and quirky and it's bringing back memories of weird cartoons and puppet movies I would rent from the library when I was younger and songs like summer breeze by seals and croft etc. I listened to those CDs nonstop and luckily was able to see him in Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Seattle.

I also LOVE the second side of UNDERGROUND. I hardly ever listen to the first side.
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby PinkHead99 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:09 pm

I got a bunch of music from my friend at UMass, including Worn Copy in 2006. I was playing Halo 2 and listened to it. My aunt called and I couldn't focus on a fucking word she was saying because the music was so distracting. Basically I thought it was strange. About a year later, I reached a wall with music. Nothing I listened to seemed good anymore, no nostalgia whatsoever. So, I decided to burn a physical copy of Worn Copy. It was a nice sunny day and Trepenated Earth was TOO good! A few months later I got The Doldrums from the same buddy and was in awe. As if I just made the cross-over into this other unfamiliar realm of music, simply beautiful. Since then I got everything I could. Shit from Mutant Sounds, vinyl Underground and Odditities Soddomies, the Jason Yates' "head of Ariel T-Shirt", and Yas Dudettes handmade cover. This guy became the pinnacle of my life, even inspiring me to record myself and be who I was through my music. I saw HG in Montreal in summer of 2008 and witnessed the falling out of the old drummer Jimmy Hey. There was literally an on-stage argument during the song "The Drummer", ironic right. So last winter he was in Detroit with the new crew. As I'm walking through the door with my friends, Aaron Sperske invites all four of us backstage to smoke. After chattin and chillin with the band, I'm smoking a joint with Ariel Pink, so fuckin rad! Most people don't get to hangout on an intimate level with their beloved icon. After that nite, I was fulfilled. I'll be listening to HG when I'm in my eighties!
PinkHead99
anonymaus

Postby pluckypurcell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:09 pm

PinkHead99 wrote:"head of Ariel T-Shirt"

fuuuuuuuuuck, i want that shirt so bad, and the fast friends upside-down bat seatshirt

PinkHead99 wrote:smoking a joint with Ariel Pink
:victory:

i only ever got to smoke a cig with them :headslap: . but tim shared some of the band's pizza with us at a show, which was very nice.
pluckypurcell
little maus on the prairie

Postby dean » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I was backstage with Ariel and Harry Merry on their last Euro tour. We talked about Mausspace :D
dean
maus is missing

Next

Return to Talk