Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Round and Round
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 pm 
hippopotamaus

-

Last edited by MausterofDisguise on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
anonymaus

Am I the only one in the whole world not in love with this track? I feel so alone...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

...maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:52 pm 
anonymaus

i'm trying to have an open mind and not dismiss round and round simply because it's "polished", but its hard in the case of ariel pink. for ariel, lo-fi wasn't a crutch. he's a great songwriter who knows how to single-handedly construct a song using only what is immediately available to him. the quality of his older recordings reflect the process of his creation. when you give him a full live band and a professional studio, you are left with simply a good songwriter, something respectable and admirable, but nothing that surprises me.

ariel pink's switchover to a major label leaves a large gap where the bridge between solid songwriting and experimental art used to be. round and round has a catchy chorus (that was written a long time ago) but that's all i can really say about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:26 pm 
anonymaus

hafta disagree... I'm really happy that Ariel's new stuff is "polished", I think it's a fine development. All of the new recordings with the band are excellent. And I don't think there's anything wrong with rerecording old chunes in this case, I'd actually love to her more Graffiti rerecordings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm 
little maus on the prairie

for me the new production quality is not such a big deal and even ultimately a good thing. especially with the new versions of older songs, it gives us the chance to say 'aha, so that's what it always was supposed to sound like' but at the same time it's still instantly recognizable as the same old ariel. it's nice to hear him as he would like to be heard.

and anyways, i don't think his production has ever really been as bad as people like to say -- on the released albums, at least; unreleased older stuff is a different matter -- so i don't always get it when people get hung up for good or bad on the 'lo fi' sound. regardless though, like BRN said, that sound was always more of a means than an end because he just made do with what he had. the new songs are maybe a little less intimate for us because everything is laid out there plain as day, no layers of strange sounds or indecipherable lyrics that you can make your own, but they are no less enjoyable than something like born into a hospital or he's good (just choosing two songs that come to mind with pretty rough quality).

tl;dr - new production is good. if anything we now have a better, cleaner picture of him as an artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm 
mausterious

Someone asked me if I'll stop listening to Ariel now he's "going to become popular"... I said I'll stop listening to the NEW STUFF if it is not great. I'll always have his back catalogue - and what a catalogue it is!

I'm on the fence, and so no you're not the only one BRN.

Hope the album blows me away, but I'll have The Doldrums on standby just in case!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 am 
anonymaus

I love the song, I think it has reset ariels whole sound and i cant wait to hear wot else he has for his album. An interesting note is that a lot of the music he made that we enjoy was made something around 10 years ago, so who knows wot has changed since then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm 
john everymaus

I wasn't feeling this one at all when I first heard it, but it's not bad and it still sounds like him.
I'm looking forward to the new album

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 pm 
mausterious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOp5rODXiiM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm 
mausketeer

wayne coyne from flaming lips recorded this pleasantly psychedelic video for Round and Round... it can be downloaded from the following page. everyone here deserves to have this. let the Pink legacy roll on...

http://www.vimeo.com/16979727

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm 
anonymaus

So ... Pitchfork voted Round And Round as their #1 track of 2010.
I must admit, I'm a bit surprised about that.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lis ... f-2010/10/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:49 pm 
mausketeer

from the pitchfork article above: "In 2010, Ariel Pink was the strange kid who fucked around all semester and developed a reputation as a hopeless loser who then proceeded to blow everyone's minds at the talent show."

aah, pitchfork, you naiive soulless entity...

what the writer meant to say was, "we totally labeled Ariel Pink as being a hopeless loser and then were forced to try and cover that up when people started listening to him a lot. but we always secretly knew he was awesome."

psh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm 
mausterious

That's horrible journalism. Was Ariel ever labeled as a "hopeless loser", or was that just invented for this little snippet of info prior to awarding him their best track of 2010?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am 
mausketeer

just take a look at their reviews of his albums besides Before Today.

it's pretty hilarious how offended they were by his music until Round and Round. are the pitchfork writers schizophrenic? or just going through an identity crisis?