Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:42 pm 
anonymaus

I'd like to make a cool bootleg tshirt of this pic...does anyone have it in a higher res?

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:09 am 
country maus

right here!

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:21 am 
anonymaus

thanks! i'll post pics of the coolest shirt ever once i get it made

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:15 am 

thread success

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 am 
anonymaus

im thinking of getting just that photo on a black tshirt (probably with a aphg logo lifted from something else), ill break out GIMPshop

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:08 am 
hippopotamaus

-

Last edited by MausterofDisguise on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:40 am 
mausketeer

Two things:
-I always thought it was a zebra print rug in this pick, not polaroid weirdness.
-I was under the impression that ariel used a yamaha mt8x 8 track, but this picture clearly shows a tascam 488 Mk II.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm 
mausketeer

meewillis wrote:
-I was under the impression that ariel used a yamaha mt8x 8 track, but this picture clearly shows a tascam 488 Mk II.
i seem to remember some of his cds listing both the yamaha and the tascam (written "tascam 8") on the back cover. at the moment i can only find this information on the wikipedia page for underground, but I'm sure I've read it elsewhere.

there is an interesting comment on mutant sounds identifying some of the instruments ariel has used on his recordings:
Quote:
http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2008/ ... isurf.html
Anonymous said...

Here's what I've been able to determine from things I've seen,read and heard---
He's definitely uses the Digitech space station on his guitar, a Casio CZ-5000 appears on most of his tracks (the bass line on the first track of Underground is the factory bass preset). Some of the hazy atmosphere on stuff, such as West Coast Calamities, is his mouth. A Suzuki Omnichord, most visible near the end of "Gettin High in the mornin'". A microkorg, which has a built in vocoder, and a lot of weird (great) analog clone sounds. I've seen him play a ric and a tele. The only thing that kills me about his sound is that he gets killer reverb and echo, sounding off a phil spector record, and I'm baffled. This is the most interesting part of his atmosphere and Its a whole lot more than a memory man and tape sludge, how does he do it??

sincerely -
gear addict.
that space station is a highly sought-after discontinued pedal-- check it out on youtube! digitech made another pedal called the ex-7 which, alongside other expression sounds, was supposed to fill the small niche created by the ss. however, they left off a tonne of cool presets and kind of blew it.

also, don't forget that ariel wasn't poor; I'm sure his parents could afford to buy him both multitrack recorders and plenty more... if he really did own a suzuki omnichord, which from what I've read is kind of a novel instrument, then that just about tells you everything you need to know about his gear, i.e. he had pretty much everything. this ain't lou barlow...

in that picture it looks like he his sitting on his records?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 am 
mausketeer

My friend found an omnichord on ebay for $20 about three years ago, before either of us had even heard of pink. Very good for taking to parks/caves. Apparently it was designed for old people with arthritis, but it works very well as a songwriting tool and the harp-strip thing is just heavenly. It was great hearing ariel using it to great effect in songs like shes my girl/flying circles/The Notice. The Omnichord might have been fishbeck's? Here's a picture of him playing one(two?) in a parking lot: http://www.veryholyshit.com/badhabitat.html

I have a tascam 488 (the gray one) that I found last year for $38, which a small fraction of what I've seen them go for usually(very lucky I suppose). By the way, the fidelity on 488 is really incredible, for cramming 8 tracks onto one cassette. Ariel clearly had to work pretty hard to make his recordings sound so bad/good. I get hiss, distortion and flutter but only through cheap effects pedals or post-processing.

My uncle gave gave me a CZ-101 last summer (he had 2 in his basement for some reason) which has become my main synth thing, and I don't think ariel used anything other than factory presets. The synth bass in shaven is the same voice as the prominent one in howling at the moon/make room for harry/look after my boys/. In his defense, the CZ's are a real pain to program, but you can still get really great stuff out of them if you put in the time.