Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:09 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

http://space15twenty.com/ariel_pinks_haunted_graffiti

this is coming out soon. yay. thanks again jessi for pointing this out and here is my input. you can stream "can't hear my eyes" on the link above.

it is really good! :victory:
i can't wait for this release!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

if anyone knows where i find this or evolution's a lie in mp3 format please pm me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 am 
anonymaus

that song cant hear my eyes is a fucking burner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:23 am 
anonymaus

also, do you think If I paypaled ariel like 15$ he would send me the 7" along with a CD-r of studio versions of the tracks on it? I love playing vinyl, but i fuggin hate the sound of vinyl rips

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 am 
country maus

ask him and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:51 pm 
mausketeer

maddrugergrind wrote:
also, do you think If I paypaled ariel like 15$ he would send me the 7" along with a CD-r of studio versions of the tracks on it? I love playing vinyl, but i fuggin hate the sound of vinyl rips
just rip the tracks off of the myspace?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 am 
anonymaus

Eazy-E wrote:
maddrugergrind wrote:
just rip the tracks off of the myspace?
myspace music is encoded so badly, i ripped stuff by my friends band and it was like 96 kbps mp3 which sucks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:14 pm 
mausterious

It's weird hearing the production so good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm 
mausterious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlu2PDMtTvk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:18 pm 
john everymaus

:dabbadeedabbadoo:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 pm 
anonymaus

well ariel didn't get back to me so I just bought the 7"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:03 am 
mausketeer

Am I the only person who doesn't like the new stuff? I kind of hate the recordings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 am 
anonymaus

Eazy-E wrote:
Am I the only person who doesn't like the new stuff? I kind of hate the recordings.
I think it's pretty good, not too far off from the ideas of "New Trumpet" production-wise

songs like "Helen" get ruined cause the quality sux so bad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
mausketeer

I think the recordings are what makes Ariel Pink interesting.

I mean, the songs are GOOD, but the way he records is what has always interested me. He has such an original style of recording and although they are extremely lo-fi, they're never really recorded or mixed poorly. the quality recordings just give a different shape to the different instruments and aesthetically give a really different feel to the songs. To me, its the only thing that really set Ariel apart from any other indie-pop group.

This new stuff is too clean it just sounds like... normal and boring. I guess I can just keep listening to the doldrums and house arrest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:58 am 
anonymaus

I beg to differ. They are recorded very poorly. It depends on how you define "poorly recorded", sure, but as far as this listener is concerned they are usually recorded pretty badly. The songs are great usually, (not all the time) but the recording quality does not help the listening experience in any way that i can discern. I like the edginess that recording on to magnetic tape provides compared to digital, but all that compression he uses squashes the instruments into a featureless mush most of the time, and the sloppy instrumental performances and stuff like that doesn't serve the songs in any beneficial way. I think he has much more going for him that would make him stand apart from other indie-pop groups as you say than just the way he records however. I don't hear any other indie group coming up with songs as good as Helen or Envelopes Another Day or Ghost Town, regardless of recording quality. Name them if you think you are right about that because I'm curious. I think it would be incredibly boring if he kept recording the same way for the rest of his career. Lo-fi is a bullshit rock critic term in my opinion that needs to die a grim death and fast. Terminology like that is designed to keep artists in a creative prison. Fuck lo-fi! Viva good songwriting and inventive production but low fidelity for it's own sake can go get fucked. It's a pretty contrived and self conscious move to record your ideas poorly all the time. Variety is the spice of life. And I'm into experimental art of all kinds so it's not like I'm anti noise or anything like that. I think if anything, Can't Hear My Eyes just isn't one of his best songs. The recording quality doesn't bother me at all but the song does a little. Too ironic and not heartfelt enough for my taste. He has some songs that could almost make me cry but not this one. It feels like an empty gesture to me.