Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 pm 
anonymaus

So given that Ariel will be remastering some haunted graffiti albums and be releasing a new album possibly this fall, does anyone think that they will be sold in a box set from Mexican Summer, and if so how much do you think the box set would be? I'm very curious in case anyone has any insider information.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

yeah, i would also like to throw fist-fulls of cash at them asap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:45 pm 
city maus

I want new artwork... not necessarily NEW, but as close to the original releases as possible, eg. the original doldrums cover with the extra words, etc. and new song outtakes/alternate versions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:18 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

i'm hoping for lyrics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 pm 
anonymaus

https://music.apple.com/au/album/odditt ... 1473484588

TRACKLIST:

1. Something About Michael Landon 2:36
2. Stray Here with You 3:46
3. Bolivian Soldier 3:33
4. Gates of Xiong 3:32
5. Unwritten Law 4:05
6. House of Yesterday 4:52
7. The World is Yours 4:28
8. This Night Has Opened My Eyes 3:09
9. Go Go X2 2:08
10. Chart-Beep 4:08
11. The Law 1:13
12. Driving to the Grave 4:04
13. Party Zone World 3:03

released Oct 25. Stray Here comes out tmrw.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 pm 
anonymaus

im guessing there will be 2 bonus tracks or something to match the "15 tracks" post from the other thread.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:26 pm 
anonymaus

So the series has been announced, and it's vinyl only. I joined the Kitchen Club, as $20 a title (especially as some are doubles) is pretty good value. I'm really hoping they deliver decent pressings — since the colored vinyl is limited, it's possible for there to be a bad run such that you can't get a good replacement.

I'm interested to find out what the "new collection of Ariel Pink’s singles and tour-only CD-Rs released in the last decade" will be. The wording is ambiguous as to whether it would actually collect a bunch of CD-R releases or just select tracks from them, not to mention whether this is more vinyl or if CD is involved. Also, people who've been fans longer than I would know, but I didn't think he did a lot of tour-only CD-Rs in the last ten years. What would those be?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:00 pm 
anonymaus

Still working out exactly what we're getting, or not getting, in this series. The ten titles are:

Oddities Sodomies 1
Oddities Sodomies 2
Oddities Sodomies 3
Underground
Loverboy
Worn Copy
House Arrest
Doldrums
Scared Famous
Stranded at Two Harbors

FF>> isn't included, which puzzles me. Depending on the edition there's some overlap with Scared Famous, but between the two these are at least three, probably four LPs of material. No Vital Pink either, though I know much if not all of that material appeared on CDs/CD-Rs of the other releases (notably Doldrums).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm 
anonymaus

eatandoph wrote: *
I'm interested to find out what the "new collection of Ariel Pink’s singles and tour-only CD-Rs released in the last decade" will be. The wording is ambiguous as to whether it would actually collect a bunch of CD-R releases or just select tracks from them, not to mention whether this is more vinyl or if CD is involved. Also, people who've been fans longer than I would know, but I didn't think he did a lot of tour-only CD-Rs in the last ten years. What would those be?
Okay, I checked the [ur;=https://shop.mexicansummer.com/product/ ... -1/Mexican Summer press release[/url], which makes a clearer statement: "There will also be a new standalone collection drawn from Ariel Pink’s non-album singles and CD-Rs."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 pm 
anonymaus

eatandoph wrote: *
Still working out exactly what we're getting, or not getting, in this series. The ten titles are:

Oddities Sodomies 1
Oddities Sodomies 2
Oddities Sodomies 3
Underground
Loverboy
Worn Copy
House Arrest
Doldrums
Scared Famous
Stranded at Two Harbors

FF>> isn't included, which puzzles me. Depending on the edition there's some overlap with Scared Famous, but between the two these are at least three, probably four LPs of material. No Vital Pink either, though I know much if not all of that material appeared on CDs/CD-Rs of the other releases (notably Doldrums).

I hope he puts FF on Scared Famous, and Vital Pink on The Doldrums.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 am 
anonymaus

Sorry, but I am big time fucking disappointed these aren't going to be issued in CD. I can't count the number of times I've ordered vinyl and received warped/damaged pressings either through faulty pressings or simply the carrier fucking things up. Being able to rip from disc to FLAC securely is a big part of why I purchase CDs over vinyl. Even if it's for some poorly recorded chunes like this - i would rather have it digitally backed up in lossless. I'll gladly spend the necessary amount on the MP3s, but I would have been more than willing to spend $500 on a box set with vinyl, cd, and mp3 or whatever the fuck combination through mexican summer. Ariel can keep bankrolling his meth habit from Cameo, he ain't getting $200 bucks from me for this kitchen club bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:33 pm 
anonymaus

There have been reissues recently where they were only going to do vinyl and then enough people complained that a CD version did come out — Yazoo is the example I'm thinking of.

I'm not really sure what they'd have to lose from running a couple of hundred CD box sets — maybe just the time invested in designing them? CD manufacturing is really cheap. It's possible that if the series did well on vinyl they would then do a CD version, but I don't know... Mexican Summer is still selling the limited deluxe vinyl Bobby Jameson package on their website. It seems like the audience is really pretty small, though I'd like to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

HalfMachineLipsMove wrote: *
Sorry, but I am big time fucking disappointed these aren't going to be issued in CD. I can't count the number of times I've ordered vinyl and received warped/damaged pressings either through faulty pressings or simply the carrier fucking things up. Being able to rip from disc to FLAC securely is a big part of why I purchase CDs over vinyl. Even if it's for some poorly recorded chunes like this - i would rather have it digitally backed up in lossless. I'll gladly spend the necessary amount on the MP3s, but I would have been more than willing to spend $500 on a box set with vinyl, cd, and mp3 or whatever the fuck combination through mexican summer. Ariel can keep bankrolling his meth habit from Cameo, he ain't getting $200 bucks from me for this kitchen club bullshit.
what a nerd :'(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:44 am 
anonymaus

AppTrans wrote: *
HalfMachineLipsMove wrote: *
what a nerd :'(
Says the person who I presume is willing to spend $200 on an obsolete medium being peddled by whoever wants to capitalize on hipster/boomer nostalgia?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 am 
hippopotamaus

[ img ]