Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 am 
city maus

Hey there, I haven't been around this neck of the woods for awhile.

I was playing around with my DAW recently to see whether I could attempt to improve sound quality on one of Ariel's tracks. I choose one of my favorite's from Before Today, L'Estat (acc. to the widow's maid). There's more clarity and detail added which seems to me to have lifted the aural equivalent of a blanket off the sound. Though, that was perhaps intentional at this stage in Ariel's output where he was shifting away from recording on cassettes to more modern recording techniques, while trying to retain the former's murkiness of sound. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting experiment to hear what it would sound like if the track had a bit more sheen to it. I reccommend listening the original release and the remastered one in that order, back to back for comparison's sake. You may think it sounds too polished.
Enjoy, and let me know your thoughts.

L'Estat (acc. to the widow's maid)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:31 am 
hippopotamaus

I just listened to it over my stupidphone speakers, so I can’t really judge, but the added high frequencies seem to make a difference. I’m gonna listen again in the morning on my drive to work and compare.

Post subject: View first unread post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm 
anonymaus

My experience has been that its a bit difficult to see Don from the front center even near the aisle, but every venue is different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 pm 
city maus

wow you can really hear the difference, presents the track in a whole different light. I also forgot how good l'estat is as a song. seems just like yesterday before today dropped.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am 
anonymaus

you want share the love there Blakey, how bout dinner on you . Did you actually work today or was it too wet to play with wires again .