Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:18 am 
country maus

Okay so this was discovered by my friend Johnny, in the comments of the YouTube upload of that Ariel Pink cassette tapes radio show from back in (jeeesus) 2016, he found a comment from someone saying that the first track was from "the niles pan tape".

Any of you think this could be legit? I feel like Nile Pan is too obscure for any "Friend of R Stevie" to know of it, and even if they did, I doubt they'd misspell it, in the pursuit of credibility.

[ img ]

Any thoughts on this whole thing in general?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am 
city maus

interesting, perhaps he owns the full tape? keep us updated, I'd reeeaally like more info!

Post subject: View first unread post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:24 am 
anonymaus

It agree, a remarkable piece

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm 
country maus

Alright TND viewers, I give The Nile Pan a light six, in some tracks like The Nile Pan and The Wind, you really see him coming together, but there's still way too much plunking around on random instruments like in tracks such as "Would You Ever" and "Sand" for me to consider it one of mr.rosenberg's better projects.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:00 pm 
country maus

I'm just messin around, it's great. Got it uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6LlwRi ... e=youtu.be

yep, Nile Pan has been found, boys and girls, and it is NUTS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:33 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

:victory:
F yeah! :dabbadeedabbadoo:

Thanks VB!

Enjoying this - Nice and weird.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:56 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

HOLY FUCK

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm 
anonymaus

:float:
This is insane. If I ever believed this actually existed, I figured it was some ragged cassette that had deteriorated under years of spilt beer and weed resin. This sounds like it was just pulled out of a time capsule! I have no idea who you are ViewBob, but you must be some kind of wizard. May Pan bless and keep you and your important work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 pm 
country maus

For anyone who wants to download, it's up on the drive! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-_bmc ... gDPDWgGftZ
If you want the full flac quality, shoot me a DM.

Maybe coming soon, but don't get your hopes up:
-BIANCA Demo
-Kids On Drugs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 pm 
country maus

yoyoyoyoy wrote: *
This is insane. If I ever believed this actually existed, I figured it was some ragged cassette that had deteriorated under years of spilt beer and weed resin. This sounds like it was just pulled out of a time capsule! I have no idea who you are ViewBob, but you must be some kind of wizard. May Pan bless and keep you and your important work!
It really surprised me too. I must say, for how disorganized he is, Ariel sure takes good care of his tapes. They're all without cases/artwork, and some even had the labels rubbed off, but audio-wise they're PRISTINE quality!! Granted, I've only seen pictures/videos/videocalls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 pm 
anonymaus

Viewbob wrote: *
It really surprised me too. I must say, for how disorganized he is, Ariel sure takes good care of his tapes. They're all without cases/artwork, and some even had the labels rubbed off, but audio-wise they're PRISTINE quality!! Granted, I've only seen pictures/videos/videocalls
Wow... did you get The Nile Pan directly from his tape archive? Is there any chance that familiar (already circulating) albums and tracks will be reuploaded from those tapes to youtube or elsewhere?

I'm liking the Mexican Summer reissues, but I've read they are remastering the originals to include cleaner sound, more separation etc, partly because of poor transfers that occurred in the early days and paw tracks releases.

It's cool that ariel is so involved in the remasters, but I would be much more excited to hear uploads of the pristine originals like this one, just as Ariel originally made them - pre transfer, pre paw tracks, pre remaster.

Anyway, I'm a very long time lurker and this find is so special that I finally had to register and make my first post. Thank you so much. It must have taken a lot of persistence to track this down.

The album is super beautiful. Very ariel yet very unexpected. Loving the moodiness and ethereality... anyone else catching deerhunter heart pangs on Sand?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:59 pm 
country maus

Yes! Ariel is extremely involved! It's been a wild ride, and I'm very excited for you all to see cycle 2 (cant disclose any info yet :'( ). Everything is a creative choice of Ariel's and/or Slugbug's here! As for reuploads to YouTube, probably! After the archives release however, as many of these remasters were made from said tapes, so uploading, aay my House Arrest/OdditySodomie2 tape would be akin to leaking the House Arrest remaster. I intend to eventually, tho!
Also yes, this is his personal copy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

For anyone who wants to download, it's up on the drive! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-_bmc ... gDPDWgGftZ
If you want the full flac quality, shoot me a DM.

Maybe coming soon, but don't get your hopes up:
-BIANCA Demo
-Kids On Drugs
thank you so much, brother!!! a gave up long ago at my search for this tape. i can't believe my ears!

we are in your debt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

diagonals wrote: *
Wow... did you get The Nile Pan directly from his tape archive? Is there any chance that familiar (already circulating) albums and tracks will be reuploaded from those tapes to youtube or elsewhere?

I'm liking the Mexican Summer reissues, but I've read they are remastering the originals to include cleaner sound, more separation etc, partly because of poor transfers that occurred in the early days and paw tracks releases.

It's cool that ariel is so involved in the remasters, but I would be much more excited to hear uploads of the pristine originals like this one, just as Ariel originally made them - pre transfer, pre paw tracks, pre remaster.

Anyway, I'm a very long time lurker and this find is so special that I finally had to register and make my first post. Thank you so much. It must have taken a lot of persistence to track this down.

The album is super beautiful. Very ariel yet very unexpected. Loving the moodiness and ethereality... anyone else catching deerhunter heart pangs on Sand?
welcome!

:kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:15 pm 
anonymaus

diagonals wrote: *

PDM here - this is my transfer of "Nile Pan" original mixdown C90 and nothing was done to it besides setting azimuth at the middle of the tape and setting the speed where man deemed "correct" (appeared the deck it was recorded on was running very fast)

The earlier stuff (Underground and before) tends to be considerably higher fidelity than the classic HG recordings because it was done either direct, sound on sound or 4-track, and was less deliberately overloaded at mixdown
This is known to be Ariel's first multitrack recording and was done on a Marantz PMD 720 or 740

I would like to take this opportunity to state that great care has been taken NOT to artificially improve the sound on the remasters coming out, beyond the necessary EQ to get the albums to sit together - the original transfers were really that bad.
You're hearing the stereo separation, noise and distortion levels etc as it was originally mixed [except the few we've redone due to missing tapes] There still isn't (and probably never will be) a way to "enhance" stuff like this in a way that won't set your ears on fire from screechy digital artifacts - I have a high-school level understanding of information theory and love screwed-up recordings too much to let something like that happen, so don't worry :creep: