Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Tour setlist?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:31 pm 
mausketeer

I know he's only done one date of the tour so far but I'm very curious what the set list looks like so far. It also looks like from pics a very diff lineup than the Pom Pom tour. Don is only singing and not playing drums it looks like, Charles is singing backup, Kenny on bass, Joe on keys, and a mystery guitar player. Anyway, looks like they're doing some songs I didn't think they would like "do yourself a favor". Wondering if death patrol is on the list.... and what old songs they will be playing. Asking for a friend

Post subject: Re: Tour setlist?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm 
anonymaus

hammywhammy wrote: *
I know he's only done one date of the tour so far but I'm very curious what the set list looks like so far. It also looks like from pics a very diff lineup than the Pom Pom tour. Don is only singing and not playing drums it looks like, Charles is singing backup, Kenny on bass, Joe on keys, and a mystery guitar player. Anyway, looks like they're doing some songs I didn't think they would like "do yourself a favor". Wondering if death patrol is on the list.... and what old songs they will be playing. Asking for a friend
I was at the show last night. Huge fan, but he (Ariel) was drunk out of his mind. It took well over an hour for him to come out, to the point where the venue cut the music and lights and John Maus had to pull him on stage. He had a champagne(?) bottle with him the whole set, even after falling into the crowd within the first song. Charles was on stage for the first few songs, but Ariel kept messing with her to the point where she left and didn't come back. There was a point where he pinned her down on the ground during a song, until she got up and said something about it being inappropriate. I don't remember if she left right after that, or at another point when he held her leg to where she couldn't stand. Hopefully she's okay, he kept rambling about how they'd fought earlier, and asked a few times if they were breaking up. Lots of other talk in between songs about John not getting the reception he wanted and "not having a voice," Ariel "not being a misogynst," and how much he doesn't care about anything. Of course he called the sound guy a fucking idiot between songs, but that's expected at an AP show.

But for the actual questions:

Don is only singing, that's right. Kenny is on bass, Joe played keys and guitar, Charles sang for the first few songs. The guitarist and drummer were both new to me. Ariel "played" guitar for a couple songs, but he could never really play guitar live. Mainly he just moved chords around trying to catch up to the song. The band had a weird chemistry where half of them didn't really interact with Ariel at all.

He did open with Death Patrol. Other songs from DtBJ: Time to Meet Your God, Feels Like Heaven, Time to Live, Another Weekend, I Wanna Be Young, Dreamdate Narcissist, Kitchen Witch.

Other 4AD-era: White Freckles, Lipstick, Put Your Number in My Phone, One Summer Night, Kinski Assassin, Baby, Menopause Man

Lo-fi Haunted Graffiti: Thespian City, Jagged Carnival Tours, Ghosts, Alisa, In a Tomb All Your Own

Great setlist, but a lot of people walked out over how he was treating Charles and/or his rambling in between songs. The band did sound good, and Ariel's vocals were manic in a good way. Hopefully he gets it together and makes it through this tour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am 
country maus

Glad to see he hasn't changed! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm 
mausketeer

This is from Charles regarding that "incident"

"Hey this is charlotte ariels girlfriend. Damn. I'm so bummed out by this. Not as much as ariel though. We were just playing around and feeling rambunctious. No one was injured. All he did was straddle me for Peet's sake. Too "theatrical" I guess.
ariel is such a lamb. And I own his ass. No one needs to be worried. We just love each other and got "a little wild". Maybe I looked uncomfortable because it's only my second time playing aNd don't know how to "act" about "shit. Again sorry for wigging people out have a good night"y'all"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm 
anonymaus

As someone who was at the both the Saturday & Sunday shows, that response seems a little disingenuous. On Saturday night I was in the second row and saw the whole thing, she looked extremely uncomfortable and walked off stage, sitting on the side and looking visibly upset the rest of the night. On Sunday, she didn't even start with them, only coming out for Kitchen With and Feels Like Heaven...Ariel also made really poor "jokes(?" if you can call them that, saying stuff like "I was just wrestling with my 18 year old girlfriend" which Don said was "cool" (the whole thing was mega creepy...). When she came out to sing Kitchen Witch, she said people were too easily offended by their display of affection, but for me AP pinning her down didn't seem affectionate at all. Also, I understand if she's ok with that kind of affection (if that's actually the case...), but these shows are all ages and I think that's a pretty poor message to convey to the younger folks in the crowd. At this point, both of their comments seem a little insincere, AP was clearly gone the night before and tried to defend himself on Sunday, he didn't seem the slightest bit guilty; Charles is on one hand saying she didn't mean to wig anyone out and everything is fine, but also only stays on stage for two songs and says people (again, there are KIDS in the audience) are too easily offended. Not buying it :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 am 
anonymaus

sadsadsad wrote: *
Charles is on one hand saying she didn't mean to wig anyone out and everything is fine, but also only stays on stage for two songs and says people (again, there are KIDS in the audience) are too easily offended. Not buying it
Oh no, KIDS?

Musicians shouldn't have alcohol on stage either, think of the children! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm 
john everymaus

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the tour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 pm 
city maus

rock and roll lives!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm 
anonymaus

WantIt2BTru wrote: *
sadsadsad wrote: *
Charles is on one hand saying she didn't mean to wig anyone out and everything is fine, but also only stays on stage for two songs and says people (again, there are KIDS in the audience) are too easily offended. Not buying it
Oh no, KIDS?

Musicians shouldn't have alcohol on stage either, think of the children! :roll:
C'mon. You don't think this is a good argument.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 pm 
country maus

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think there are many children at an Ariel Pink show, And it's not like it would be clean and family friendly otherwise! I mean he is playing;
Kinski Assassin, I Wanna Be Young, Thespian City, Alisa, Menopause Man, Jagged Carnival Tours, Time To Live, Dreamdate Narcissist and Lipstick.
So in other words, wholesome family-oriented content, aye?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 am 
anonymaus

Viewbob wrote: *
Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think there are many children at an Ariel Pink show, And it's not like it would be clean and family friendly otherwise! I mean he is playing;
Kinski Assassin, I Wanna Be Young, Thespian City, Alisa, Menopause Man, Jagged Carnival Tours, Time To Live, Dreamdate Narcissist and Lipstick.
So in other words, wholesome family-oriented content, aye?
Hey, don't know what to tell you here, but yeah, it was an all ages show, and kids/teenagers were there.

I'd hope we can all see the difference between hearing the song Kinski Assassin and watching someone drunkenly pin his girlfriend down on stage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

R-Rated lyrics vs feigned drunken rape
gonna go w/ R-Rated lyrics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 pm 
little maus on the prairie

AppTrans wrote: *
R-Rated lyrics vs feigned drunken rape
gonna go w/ R-Rated lyrics
What does that even mean?