Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Ariel no longer on 4AD?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:26 pm 
mausketeer

I read one of Ariel's recent tweets in reply to a question about his current activity, I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of "new label, new music coming but no tour plans so far" I'm guessing his 4AD contract has run out or has he left of his own accord? It seems likely they would have given him a 3 album contract so I guess after 'pom pom' that was it. Any other opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:06 pm 
the great maus detective

I guess another possibility is that he has a side deal with a smaller label (or started his own) to release more low-profile, experimental releases to complement the "main" albums on 4AD. Like Paw Tracks was for Animal Collective, or like when Beck put out those weird lo-fi records on that small label while making it big with Mellow Gold and Odelay on the major label,....or something like that. Well, at least that's what I hope it means. :)

If it is an entirely new label, it'll be interesting to see which one it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:48 pm 
john everymaus

Stoked about new music!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:19 pm 
anonymaus

Sounds like a new song to me, or maybe a pom pom outtake? The drums sound really similar to not enough violence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Ogw8aRtJs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

:sherlock:

that recording is a bit potato quality.

excited to hear new stuff nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:24 am 
anonymaus

pinkspoons wrote:

Already seems to be stuck in my head though 'TIME TO LIVE, TIME FOR LIFE' or something like that :victory:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:24 am 
anonymaus

if he really if off of 4AD i hope that means he might be returning to more experimental works

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:56 pm 
anonymaus

This has a little bit of info about Ariel's response to Bowie's passing. Also tells you where to find his previously unreleased cover of Saviour Machine:

http://amadeusmag.com/blog/band-wages-m ... s-free-ep/

Says that he doesn't want to comment publicly about the details re: 4AD, but the article does include a bit about him being "frustrated by delays." Maybe they wanted some space between Pom Pom and his next release?

piper111 wrote:
pinkspoons wrote:

Already seems to be stuck in my head though 'TIME TO LIVE, TIME FOR LIFE' or something like that :victory:
I think it's "time to live, time to die." He also "played" a version of Nighttime Is Great, but this was mainly just him plunking around on his guitar to an iPhone recording. Really strange set, the vast majority of the crowd left well before he finished.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:23 pm 
little maus on the prairie

wmbogart wrote:
I think it's "time to live, time to die." He also "played" a version of Nighttime Is Great, but this was mainly just him plunking around on his guitar to an iPhone recording. Really strange set, the vast majority of the crowd left well before he finished.
Hahaha sounds like a great time. were there any other songs we know?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:17 am 
country maus

zachostedt wrote:
if he really if off of 4AD i hope that means he might be returning to more experimental works
We'd all love the old Ariel back, but I think it's gonna be in the opposite direction... electronic pop music. Like the other music he's been producing recently (ie. Cellars' "phases," etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 am 
anonymaus

Viewbob wrote:
wmbogart wrote:
Hahaha sounds like a great time. were there any other songs we know?
I think it was just Nighttime Is Great (which I love) and the "time to live, time to die" one. The rest of the set was Ariel trying to play guitar while Doctor Cantaloupe messed around with some analog effects. Ariel abruptly picked up his phone and played both songs straight from it out of nowhere. I would say MAYBE 25% of people made it through the set.

He was practicing guitar off by himself for a couple hours before the set, I had been kinda hoping for something along the lines of the Helen solo excerpt on the Eric Andre show. Always surprised at his inability to play guitar live at all, considering how genius those early guitar-based albums are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:52 am 
little maus on the prairie

wmbogart wrote:
I think it was just Nighttime Is Great (which I love)
Well, for now, all we have is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOcNLSRtpbQ