Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Least Favorite Album?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:35 pm 
country maus

Post your least favorite Ariel album, and why. For me, I'd have to say before today, because it's not really anything like Ariel's other albums, it's so bland, and really doesn't have much of Ariel's previous sense of humor. Also, don't crucify me, but I'm not the biggest fan of Round and Round.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 am 
anonymaus

It's really hard for me to say personally, because I pretty much thoroughly enjoy every Ariel Pink album. I can put on any (and all) of his records and get completely sucked in. If I had to choose my least favorite album of his though, then I would have to go with Mature Themes. I do like this record a lot, but I feel like he is not as colorful on this record as he is on his other records. I mean sure, he is playful on this record (Schnitzel Boogie, Is This the Best Spot?, Pink Slime, etc.), but to an extent in my opinion. I do love this album though, especially songs like Pink Slime, Kinski Assassin, Only in My Dreams, and Symphony of the Nymph.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:37 pm 
anonymaus

before today and mature themes are interesting because I was stoked about them at the time, sort of the jump start of his "second phase" with 4AD and just being more cognizant of the fact that he had an audience.

I understand viewbob's criticisms of before today. it's always baffled me how so many critics think it's his best. i'll take not enough violence and time to live over round and round any day. it IS a pretty good entry point record though, and the transitions between songs are pretty impeccable (butthouse blondies/little wig in particular). for those reasons, i think it still holds up.

mature themes is my answer. i love half of it but a lot of the more tongue in cheek songs are disposable, more restrained than usual, and have just become less and less interesting to me over time.

pom pom and DTBJ are returns to form imo and the former is as good house arrest, doldrums, worn copy, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm 
mausketeer

im prob the only one that will ever say this, but pom pom is prob my least listened to of all of them. i still like it, but def the least of all his releases

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Somewhat before today because of it sounding so "safe" but mostly mature themes. I still love both of these records and I am glad they exist. Mature themes just doesn't have the amount of highlights that other albums provide.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:57 pm 
country maus

Viewbob wrote: *
Post your least favorite Ariel album, and why. For me, I'd have to say before today, because it's not really anything like Ariel's other albums, it's so bland, and really doesn't have much of Ariel's previous sense of humor.
Ah, to be young again...

I pretty much agree with you, PS, and I believe that's what 14 year-old me was trying to say. Also no further crucifiction is required, as I've come to like Round & Round more, lately. :float:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm 
anonymaus

How are we not all saying Thrash n’ Burn? Is that just assumed?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:21 am 
city maus

hammywhammy wrote: *
im prob the only one that will ever say this, but pom pom is prob my least listened to of all of them. i still like it, but def the least of all his releases
you're not alone, my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm 
anonymaus

Probably Underground.

or Thrash & Burn, or the KKGlam w Stevie if those count.

Love all his 4AD stuff (Before Today being my least fav), Mature Themes is so underrated, it's prob in my top 5 AP albums (despite not rly caring for Driftwood)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 am 
city maus

Pipin wrote: *
Probably Underground.

Love all his 4AD stuff (Before Today being my least fav), Mature Themes is so underrated, it's prob in my top 5 AP albums (despite not rly caring for Driftwood)
Aside from maybe like 2 tracks, Ku Klux Glam really is a terrible "album," if you wanna call it that. An Ariel Pink/R. Stevie Moore collab album could have been groundbreaking but instead we got... that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm 
hippopotamaus

My sleeves are both rolled up—I’m ready to throw down :arms:
I’ll go with Mature Themes despite it being his funniest album.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

j0rdan wrote: *
Probably Underground.

Aside from maybe like 2 tracks, Ku Klux Glam really is a terrible "album," if you wanna call it that. An Ariel Pink/R. Stevie Moore collab album could have been groundbreaking but instead we got... that.
yeah, unfortunately. i honestly like thrash n burn and find it to easily out-class KKGlam. underground on the other hand is top tier and i completely disagree with pipin on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:52 am 
country maus

Ohhhhh man I love me some Papermasche!

...not cause it's like good music or anything. I really think most of the tracks are (apart from a few songs) just as unlistenable as Ariel intended. But like, something about the thick atmosphere that Papermasche creates, the feeling of it, something I can't quite verbalize, oh man it makes me hope for a Papermasche... Plethora? line of reissues sometime soon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 pm 
anonymaus

pinkspoons wrote: *
Probably Underground.

yeah, unfortunately. i honestly like thrash n burn and find it to easily out-class KKGlam. underground on the other hand is top tier and i completely disagree with pipin on that one.

don't get me wrong, i still love Underground. All of his major albums i love.

this would b my rankings personally

1. Pom Pom
2. House Arrest
3. Scared Famous (2007)
4. Doldrums
5. Mature Themes
6. Worn Copy
7. Dedicated to Bobby
8. Odd Sod Vol 1
9. Loverboy
10. Before Today
11. FF
12. Underground
13. Stranded at Two Harbors

feel like the first 8 or 9 are all near ties for me lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

pinkspoons wrote: *
Probably Underground.

don't get me wrong, i still love Underground. All of his major albums i love.

this would b my rankings personally

1. Pom Pom
2. House Arrest
3. Scared Famous (2007)
4. Doldrums
5. Mature Themes
6. Worn Copy
7. Dedicated to Bobby
8. Odd Sod Vol 1
9. Loverboy
10. Before Today
11. FF
12. Underground
13. Stranded at Two Harbors

feel like the first 8 or 9 are all near ties for me lol
i was about to attempt to rank them myself but it is just too difficult for me. :delaware: