Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Mature Themes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 am 
mausketeer

Mature Themes is good. I like it better than Before Today.

Old-ish Ariel song-writing, new Ariel recording style.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

My instant favorites upon first few listens are Only in My Dreams, Symphony of the Nymph (how can anyone resist a lyric about a nympho at a discoteque?), Live It Up, and Baby (You're so BABY!). Pure seduction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm 
john everymaus

I totally agree LL! I like mature themes a lot also!!

definitiely Ariel's sexiest album......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:18 am 
country maus

I really don't know what to think of the new album. Is this really what he was so proud of? I don't want to criticize him personally, but it's just not what I expected. The music itself is so predictable, and is lacking the charm of his old recordings. I know he's moved on from his old 4-track stuff, but this album just sounds so forced. The lyrics are also so bland that they make me sick. Compare "the warmest color of the dead, the blackest white you've ever red" to shit like "my name is ariel, and I'm a nympho" or "that isn't me, north korea is me."

To be honest the album isn't as horrible as I'm making it out to be. it just isn't THAT good. and it just bums me out that I've listened to his back catalog so much, literally listening to available song a dozen times, and expected him to completely blow me away when he ends up working with high quality, modern equipment. I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:51 am 
hippopotamaus

Last edited by MausterofDisguise on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 am 
anonymaus

j0rdan wrote:
I really don't know what to think of the new album. Is this really what he was so proud of? I don't want to criticize him personally, but it's just not what I expected. The music itself is so predictable, and is lacking the charm of his old recordings. I know he's moved on from his old 4-track stuff, but this album just sounds so forced. The lyrics are also so bland that they make me sick. Compare "the warmest color of the dead, the blackest white you've ever red" to shit like "my name is ariel, and I'm a nympho" or "that isn't me, north korea is me."

To be honest the album isn't as horrible as I'm making it out to be. it just isn't THAT good. and it just bums me out that I've listened to his back catalog so much, literally listening to available song a dozen times, and expected him to completely blow me away when he ends up working with high quality, modern equipment. I don't know.
yeah you described my feelings about this with words, very accurately. thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:00 am 
john everymaus

Jacob wrote:
I just hope there's another release along the lines of Oddities Sodomies.
I was looking back at this today: http://www.self-titledmag.com/2010/07/1 ... riel-pink/ and it made me think, will all the tracks not on Before Today ever turn up? He says he wanted to have an epic, lengthy album. That means there were a lot of songs unused.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:04 pm 
mausketeer

j0rdan wrote:

I have to agree with everything you've said. I've given it about 10 listens so far and it's doing nothing for me. What has surprised me most about the songs is their distinct lack of melody and emotion, two things that in the past Ariel has always done so well. The new songs just sound to me like a bunch of aimless half assed B sides. Definitely his weakest album to date.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

http://www.uncut.co.uk/ariel-pinks-haun ... s_20120807

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:54 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

he still doesn't need NME |:o
http://twitter.com/NME/status/232831893 ... 85/photo/1
mausspacers in the UK, check 'er out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

http://www.the-fly.co.uk/feature/interv ... el-pink-2/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:23 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

http://www.list.co.uk/article/44329-ari ... re-themes/
fuck this review

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:54 pm 
john everymaus

I think this album suffers most in terms of lyrics. I know he's experiencing writer's block and I'm glad that he's actually writing again, but I expected better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

AppTrans wrote:
Hard, with the aid of painful foreign objects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
anonymaus

this album has grown on me a lot since i first listened. it's also made me listen to all the old records again!