Honeydrum

Discuss all things Ariel Pink related here.

Honeydrum

Postby dean » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:22 am

Wow, have you come across any more blatant copies of what Ariel is doing at present?

http://lessdata.tumblr.com/post/2453207 ... er-calls-7
dean
maus is missing

Re: Honeydrum

Postby batmania » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 am

Outer Limits Recordings is probably the most shameless Ariel copyist I've heard. He even does the beat box drums and ocean sounds.
batmania
mausketeer

Postby batmania » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:49 am

Wow, I just listened to that song. :headslap:

You know Mark E. Smith of The Fall sometimes says in interviews that he believes copying a style is plagiarism. In one interview he agreed that Pete Doherty plagiarised The Fall, but not their music, just Smith's public persona. It would be great if music critics were like that, 'cause it seems like, at least with rock music, it's only copying if the vocal melody or guitar riff is the same. But then you change genre to hip hop and people eat it up, the more references the better.
batmania
mausketeer

Postby AppTrans » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 am

Beyond embarrassing...makes me feel nauseated :festive:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby batmania » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 am

It would be good if it was a parody.
batmania
mausketeer

Postby pinkspoons » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 am

its just not a good song. blatant copy or no.
pinkspoons
mausterious

Postby j0rdan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 am

pinkspoons wrote:its just not a good song. blatant copy or no.

I actually really liked that song.... :'(
j0rdan
mausketeer

Postby AppTrans » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Ariel could construct such a song in his sleep and make it far more interesting
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby possiblegrenade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 pm

j0rdan wrote:
pinkspoons wrote:its just not a good song. blatant copy or no.

I actually really liked that song.... :'(

I actually do kind of enjoy it myself.

And look back to this thread... http://mausspace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=726
I'm not really that upset. Ariel himself has pulled from the past in creating his music. Do I still think his is more interesting? Of course. Just sayin, though.
possiblegrenade
country maus

Postby AppTrans » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, it's common knowledge (to us) that Ariel pulled from the past, no doubt... but he surely did his own homework...and there's much to be said for that. I'm certain that Ariel would openly recognize the artists who influenced the sculpting of his sound. I won't give laudative remarks to something devoid of personality. IMO, I see this as copying homework.
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby batmania » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm

AppTrans wrote:Yeah, it's common knowledge (to us) that Ariel pulled from the past, no doubt... but he surely did his own homework...and there's much to be said for that. I'm certain that Ariel would openly recognize the artists who influenced the sculpting of his sound. I won't give laudative remarks to something devoid of personality. IMO, I see this as copying homework.

yes, ariel was rock historian, piecing together own very personal version of rock history through biased rock magazines + the accepted canon of rock writers & biographers (lester bangs, richie unterberger, irwin chusid, david toop, etc). add art school snobbery and he can find words to justify recording hard into the red every time... also hatred of rock and roll through learning about jaded misanthropes like mark e smith.

his music is a tribute to his own version of pre-internet rock fandom. there's so much 60's garage rock influence because that what rock nerds used to obsess over before internet. his music just tribute to this obsession.

also, i don't get the 1980s thing? how is ariel the forefather of all that? because he has microkorg??
batmania
mausketeer

Postby batmania » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm

also the experimental thing... i think when he made his early music, when he was just out of high school, he wasn't that deep into yet beyond the usual kraut suspects. not as much as now. at least judging from this doodle:

i really think he gets a kick out of calling his music experimental to tease journalists who haven't done homework..

also the outer limits guy admitted in an interview that he basically copied ariel pink.

i wonder if ariel was referring to the video game Mega Man? and very good kraftwerk choice, ah he had fine taste in the early days and what an artist..

he is so much like kurt cobain, don't you think (not just looks)? except kurt was poor :(
batmania
mausketeer

Postby AppTrans » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I hear more from the 60s and 70s than the 80s...maybe deliberately neo psych 80s akin to XTC (Dukes) and Cleaners. Both bands I love.
Did you finish Retromania? I gotta finish up some other books before I go for that throat
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby possiblegrenade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 pm

AppTrans wrote:Yeah, it's common knowledge (to us) that Ariel pulled from the past, no doubt... but he surely did his own homework...and there's much to be said for that. I'm certain that Ariel would openly recognize the artists who influenced the sculpting of his sound. I won't give laudative remarks to something devoid of personality. IMO, I see this as copying homework.

A very good point.
possiblegrenade
country maus

Postby AppTrans » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 pm

btw, that ain't a blast at you, PG! i respect everyone's taste on this forum :happy:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Next

Return to Talk