Ariel in The Wire

Discuss all things Ariel Pink related here.

Re: Ariel in The Wire

Postby rudolphhat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 am

I'm only an AHOLIO when I'm disappointed, and on top of that, I was already feeling exasperated from work. SORRY.

but still, this is what i see:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/ ... tled-6.png

c'mon, i mean, when you scan something it automatically MAKES IT HUGE, so why bother wit it, uknow? This is also a pet peeve of mine in general with the internet. :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap:
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby MadamAnt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:43 am

Dude, you're getting something for nothing, because someone was nice enough to share (and the difficulties with the scanner were already explained, even though I thought the images looked okay)...Stop moaning, seriously. :festive:

People who always feel entitled to moan and take their personal stuff out on others is a major peeve of mine in general with the internet! Nobody on this forum wants to be somebody's punching bag after a stressful day at work (or do they?)... :sherlock:
Would it be such a bad idea to actually buy the magazine??? :delaware:
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby lenticular » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 am

Thank you for the scans!

I read the interview and I think its definitely the best one I have ever read with Ariel. Pretty much outlines whats important and what isn't. Does anyone else think that this interview gives us a much better glimpse of who he is as a person and artist than a lot of other interviews where he just fucks around. Kenny is his "hard drive", that is pretty sick that he knows 200 of Ariels songs. What would Ariel do with out his motha fuckin homeboys Kenny G and Tim Koh?

There is no need to complain about the quality of the scans, I think its good that its not good quality, should have bought it. I read it non the less, squinting my eyes, but that's what I get for not paying for it! The Wire has Ariel in their magazine is so people like you can buy it so they can sustain their livelihoods through your money. They kind of made this thing for you! People have to live.

I hope y'all buy Mature Themes.

Dedication.
lenticular
anonymaus

Ariel in The Wire

Postby dean » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 am

rudolphhat wrote:I'm only an AHOLIO when I'm disappointed, and on top of that, I was already feeling exasperated from work. SORRY.

but still, this is what i see:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/ ... tled-6.png

c'mon, i mean, when you scan something it automatically MAKES IT HUGE, so why bother wit it, uknow? This is also a pet peeve of mine in general with the internet. :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap: :headslap:

When you find out how to use the zoom functions then I think you'll be apologising.

Thanks for the scans!
dean
maus is missing

Postby rudolphhat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 am

I have every intention of buying it, as soon as $$$ Freyja $$$ comes around, which is why I was being an impatient JerkO. You're right, I shouldn't have said anything, I'm sorry.

Also, it was scanned at 200 DPI which is probably why it's so shitty. I totally understand the fold getting in the way, though.

:kiss: :kiss:
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:28 am

Well I'm glad SOME people enjoyed the interview at whatever DPI. I agree Ariel seemed perhaps more candidly honest than he has previously come across. I think it's a bit sad that he'd rather be idolised by fans than have Soundcloud links shared with him, however. Very good insight into how The Doldrums were recorded as a means of catharsis in a frantic time in his life. I've always heard that half-hidden, lurching sort of depression underneath the nostalgiac 60's sunpop rhythms. I also enjoyed the bit where Ariel mentioned being on a plane with Genesis P-Orridge and said he looks like his mother! Maybe be a bit harsh on his mum, but then I don't know. I haven't seen her.
My only criticism is that the interviewer is somewhat remiss calling him 'strictly a burger and chilli fries man'. Judging by his twitter account, he seems quite passionate about Chinese takeaway. :D
LadyLazarus
fingermaus

Postby pluckypurcell » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm

really interesting to read, thank you, ladylazarus...

whenever he does interviews there's always some little flaw in his personality that they are really keen to expose, in this case i guess it is the aloofness and barriers he would prefer to see between him and his fans. which is funny, because if anyone has had the pleasant experience of talking with him at a smaller venue show, he's really a pretty cool guy who will take the time to actually talk to you, not just a 'oh, hey, thanks you like the record' sort of thing. most of the time i don't get the same vibe from his interviews.
pluckypurcell
little maus on the prairie

Postby rudolphhat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:37 am

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/60647236/Ar ... Ariel-Pink)(Interview)

This is a partial interview from 2010 I just came across, and it's so curious as it's so striking and personal. Perhaps you guys & gals have already read this, though. From what I read, and from what I can read from the wire interview, and in regards to people being disappointed by his new record, his earlier years and musical experimentation was greatly inspired by his turbulent personal life. He put A LOT of himself into making music, as a means to an end, so obviously his earlier works are gonna be raw and full of magic. Perhaps now, he's more settled and has "grown-down" into the world, you know, "growing-up is not as half as fun as growing down". The term "growing-down" I picked up in a book by a psychologist james hillman in his book THE SOULS CODE. In one of the chapters he talks about the kabbalistic tree of life, and in that tradition your spiritual progress is in terms of growing-down into the world, establishing roots, etc. I immediately thought of STRANGE FIRES, and wondered about the strange coincidence of jewish mysticism and ariel being jewish, blah blah blah.

Yeah, so, in terms of expecting Ariel to make something that transcends his earlier works, is fucking crazy to me, because his earlier works are his blood and guts, a spontaneous epiphany of a human life trying to come to terms with its self and the world, a way to hang-on and ride out the storm, and not go on a murdering teenage rampage.

Maybe he has writers block because the storm is over? He said he hasn't written anything new in eight years, and i feel like that says a lot.

:666D: :delaware: :666D: :rage:
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby Jacob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Here's the full version:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ariel+park.-a0233713086
Jacob
country maus

Postby rudolphhat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Whoa, thanks Jacob! And wow, what an article. The John Maus part makes me think of THE HYMN TO HERMES, how he makes a sacrifice for himself, creates an image for his own reflection, a means to establish himself among the olympian gods, and in Pink's case the THE GODS OF ROCK 'N ROLL, BABY.
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby rudolphhat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 pm

HUH! i don't know why it says "the john maus part" I clearly wrote "the John Maus part" wwtff john maus conspiracy!
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby rudolphhat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 pm

HAHA! WHAAT! I CAN'T SAY A****OLOGY, IT TURNS INTO JOHN MAUS
rudolphhat
anonymaus

Postby ricky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 pm

I was really confused with your first post because I didn't remember reading anything about John Maus in there. :lol:
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Postby LadyLazarus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Apparently there's an ASTRO LOGY thread on the forums that renamed itself John Maus as well. Cosmic. :shock:

Had to edit my post because it turned 'that word' into John Maus again. What's going on?
LadyLazarus
fingermaus

Postby AppTrans » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 am

astrolo geewhiz...that was my thread :lol:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

PreviousNext

Return to Talk