Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:46 pm 
little maus on the prairie

I really like Pop music, but I also really love Metal! I assume that I’m not alone in that here?

I know that Metal often tends to be very ‘heavy handed,’ but I really think that both Pop/Rock and Metal have certain elements that could be used or borrowed from the other. Two examples that come to mind are: Gary War(Pop), and Metallica(Metal). Not necessarily borrowing from each other(obviously in Metallica’s case, since their classic albums were pre-GW), but from opposite genres. I think there are some great examples of a similar ‘violence’ in some of each of their works. Or like with Metallica and Madonna or something. Or like, when there were those few years when thrash bands like Metallica(I’m a huge fan), and the Glam Metal/Power Pop bands like Def Leppard(Im also a huge fan them, too) had very similar sounding production, like with lots of gated reverb, chorus effects, delay, etc. (GOD that was such a great sound!!!)

-- Does anyone else have any favorite Pop songs that have aspects of Metal(or similar influences to/influenced Metal)?? These are some of my favorites, I think that they each make great use of some of those classic characteristics

‘Humankind,’ The Ramones
‘Superlifer,’ Gary War
‘Pleading For Annihilation,’ Gary War
‘Eight Miles High,’ The Byrds
‘Butt House Blondies,’ Ariel Pink
‘She’s Just My Style,’ Gary Lewis and the Playboys
‘Tenebrae,’ John Maus

Also, what are some Metal albums that u guys think are really great??

For myself, I’ve humbly compiled my list in a relaxed, subjective, contextual order, like in the sense of where I hold them chronologically in my mind. (shamefully, some of these artists, i haven’t heard all of their presumably great discography, but anyways, these are the ones that really standout to me)

Black Sabbath ‘Paranoid’(1970)

Judas Priest ‘British Steel’(1980)

Venom ‘Welcome To Hell’(1981) & ‘Black Metal’(1982)

Bathory ‘Bathory’(1984) & ‘Under The Sign of The Black Mark’(1986)**This album is truly amazing, I don’t even know how to begin to describe it.. Beautiful???**

Metallica ‘Ride The Lightning’(1984)

Slayer ‘Haunting The Chapel’(1984)

Death ‘Scream Bloody Gore’(1987)

Mayhem ‘Deathcrush‘(1987) & ‘De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas’(1994)

Burzum ‘Burzum’(1992)

Satyricon (just the song, I can’t really dig the album yet)’Mother North’(1996)

Paramaecium ‘Within The Ancient Forest’(1996)

Extol ‘Burial’(1998)

Lengsel ‘The Kiss, The Hope’(2006)

Cynic ‘Trapped In Air’ (2008) (**although they were most-influential in the early 90’s, and while I do greatly appreciate Paul Masvidal’s experimental courage and historical importance at the time, I really dig this album much more than their early progressive explorations. I feel that with ‘Traced In Air,’ he subtracted some of what had (imho)convoluted the first legendary album, and created something very special and cohesive with this later effort, that is much more understandable for an uninformed/ignorant(?), ‘pop-minded’ listener like myself to engage with. -- I also list him here, as opposed to some other, older groups, for the continued influence of some of his contemporary work, and because I also feel that presently, he is very uniquely positioned to create something truly new and forward thinking. And lastly because he seems to be creating ‘better’ works as he gets older, which is musically still very rare for the time being -- p.s. ‘Kindly Bent to Free Us’(2014) was a little disappointing, but I still think that they could do something really awesome in the future, like if they adopted a more ‘pop’ approach, as in like: production values, no fretless bass, a more cohesive drumming approach, and maybe some more vocoders and synths?? idk)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:41 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I love metal too!
You should check these comps out if you haven't already:
[ img ]
[ img ]

andNorwegian Black Metal, oh hell yes
do you like Darkthrone? Their first three proper lps are knockouts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I like some drone and doom stuff. Hearing Sunn O))) and Kayo Dot a few years ago opened my eyes to a more experimental mode of metal than I knew existed. Other favorites are Boris and Harvey Milk. But I'm not really a metal guy in general. Though I did go to a Twisted Sister concert in '84. STAY HUNGRYYYYYYY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
anonymaus

RareGoat wrote:
I like some drone and doom stuff. Hearing Sunn O))) and Kayo Dot a few years ago opened my eyes to a more experimental mode of metal than I knew existed. Other favorites are Boris and Harvey Milk. But I'm not really a metal guy in general. Though I did go to a Twisted Sister concert in '84. STAY HUNGRYYYYYYY
Same here. Sunn O))) and Earth are good, and you should check out The Angelic Process (especially their last album "Weighing Souls With Sand"), if you haven't already. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:03 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

alceste wrote:
RareGoat wrote:
Same here. Sunn O))) and Earth are good, and you should check out The Angelic Process (especially their last album "Weighing Souls With Sand"), if you haven't already. :)
I do have that :D
Very strange and cool.
While I'm thinking of it, Adrift For Days (on bandcamp) are also a great, "epic" (an overused word, but I mean it literally here, meaning they write epic-length stuff) doom band. Not particularly experimental, but fairly psychedelic sounding.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:52 pm 

RareGoat wrote:
I saw Sunn O))) a few years back and they were incredible. Also saw Boris perform Flood in NYC last year, and I really enjoyed that.

Shortly after high school I really got into metal. Mostly death metal, goregrind, black metal, and a lot of other things. There was a venue near my house that always had really great punk and metal shows, but when that place shutdown (rip Showcase), I kind of went away from metal and started getting into other genres.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 pm 

AppTrans wrote:
I love metal too!
You should check these comps out if you haven't already:
[ img ]
[ img ]

andNorwegian Black Metal, oh hell yes
do you like Darkthrone? Their first three proper lps are knockouts
Ooh, these compilations look good.

-Well, the only Darkthrone album that I've heard is 'A Blaze In the Northern Sky.' I listened to it this past year, but I just couldn't get into what sounded to me like an unsuccessful mix of styles. I just remember thinking that the music felt cumbersome or something(the drums especially so), but from what im reading, they were still in the middle of switching styles from death to black metal, which makes sense now --Not that I'm at all opposed to mixing death and black metal, because I'm not, but idk, I just couldn't get into it at the time. Having said that, I'm VERY intrigued to check out their next two albums like you recommended, app('Under a Funeral Moon' and 'Transylvanian Hunger')! Supposedly they have a more focused black metal style?

Btw, do u listen to Emperor at all? They were another group that I thought I would really like, one of those groups you're supposed to like, but i had a hard time with their first album(In the nightshade eclipse (1994)) too. -but again, supposedly they hadn't necessarily found their sound yet at that point, so I plan to go through their second and third album also.

ricky wrote:
Shortly after high school I really got into metal. Mostly death metal, goregrind, black metal, and a lot of other things. There was a venue near my house that always had really great punk and metal shows, but when that place shutdown (rip Showcase), I kind of went away from metal and started getting into other genres.
Yea, I had a kind of similar experience, except I was really into Metal in hs, and then a year later I heard 'Your Own Personal Jesus' for the first time and was SO blown away, so I decided that Pop was pretty cool too. -I only just recently started listening to Metal again in 2013, after like, idk, a 5 year break or something

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:02 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Transilvanian Hunger is Darkthrone's best in my opinion
btw I never listened to Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:04 am 
city maus

not a fan of it generally, but there are exceptions.
i think mainly it's the vocals that are off-putting for me.
i like to hear a vocalist enunciate their words and not shriek, growl, scream, etc.
although having said that, those approaches have their place, but i don't like it when it becomes an emphasis.

someone recently turned me onto a band called voivod though, and i'm enjoying their album "nothingface".

[ img ]

they're influenced by early pink floyd and there is a cover of astronomy domine on the album, but generally they don't actually sound much like the floyd.
if i were to compare them to another band, they sound a little bit like 'mx-80 sound' especially in the guitars department but that's where the comparison ends.
in general it's metal with a sci-fi future dystopian theme lyrically, and intelligible vocals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:15 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Fieldmaus, do you listen to UIver?
If I ever want my ears to be ringing for days (and I do, a lot of the time) I listen to this:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:13 pm 

oh my god, this is amazing, App!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:27 am 

this has been one of my favorite metal songs for a few years now:
http://youtu.be/AE_HIGVoojs?list=FLXy3n ... FOU6V9z4Zw :rage: :truluv: :rage: :truluv:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:34 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Fieldmaus, if you want some extreme, quasi-inept, mind-melting metal, this is a group from Brazil called Sarcófago:

[ img ]

maybe you've heard it before but here's the entire lp, this is my cup of spiked tea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_27DRSCB6M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

what about watain?

[ img ]

complete with real animal blood and corpses. lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 pm 

AppTrans wrote:
Fieldmaus, if you want some extreme, quasi-inept, mind-melting metal, this is a group from Brazil called Sarcófago:

[ img ]

maybe you've heard it before but here's the entire lp, this is my cup of spiked tea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_27DRSCB6M

oh my. . . :truluv: first Ulver, now this?!

App,
[ img ]