Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: viet cong
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:04 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

women fans will enjoy this one.

new record coming out in 2015.

the leak is out there and it is brilliant. sonically pristine.

everyone here should check this out. it will not disappoint!

:sneaky:

Post subject: Re: viet cong
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Just thought I would put this here, too.
LadyLazarus wrote:
I just saw Viet Cong in London. They were amazing (and surprisingly funny!). Here is a video I shot at their show:
http://youtu.be/1AR5Rq2jIAU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

ooooh

:happy:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:14 am 
city maus

i must check out women.

i think i might like women.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:25 pm 
anonymaus

the self titled is amazing. whole different beast to the cassette (which is almost as good. just as good, but different?). was gonna see them in london but im poor as shit right now so gonna see them in brighton in feb instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:11 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

heh I'm a late comer, I am familiar with the first Women album, so I think I'll dig this

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Saw this band live last night. Nowadays, of course, they're known as Preoccupations (a crappy name for a band, but whatever), but I still think of them as The Band Formerly Known as Viet Cong (or TBFKAVC, which just rolls off the tongue).

They focused on the new album, which I don't enjoy as much as the 2015 album, but it's still solid. They closed with "Death", the lengthy closer from their 2015 album, and that was worth the whole night all by itself.

I got the tickets for free several weeks ago, when I bought the new album at my local store and learned that the band had offered free tickets to the first X number of people who bought their album there. I don't generally go out to shows all that much or seek out shows to attend, so it's likely I would have never gone otherwise.

They played at an Atlanta venue called The Masquerade, an ancient and hallowed place that has been kind of the go-to place for the punk and goth crowd over the years. Sadly, the building is getting demolished and is being moved to the Underground Atlanta area, but I was lucky to get to attend one last show in this old haunted house of a place, even though parts of it seem to be falling apart already.

Some pics:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:32 pm 
city maus

hey raregoat, i would love to see this band. i had given music a break for awhile and decided to break the drought by listening to the preoccupations album yesterday. when i heard it when it first came out, the songs did nothing for me so i thought nothing of them. upon hearing the album the second time, i was amazed that i didn't appreciate them as much as i should have originally. i think the album is brilliant! that's the way it goes with some music, sometimes it takes a couple of listens before it begins to click. i agree with you about the band's name, viet cong is a better moniker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:00 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I got to see them as Viet Cong in some dank basement in London. They played just a few inches away from my nose. Funny guys.
Apparently I've already bragged about it in this very thread. I'll tell my Viet Cong story a few more times down the line I'm sure.
Hate the name Preoccupations, too. It's silly, but it really stopped me getting into their new stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am 
anonymaus

I wish to point out that there is another ex-member of Women who is still recording music. It's Pat Flegel, the former singer of Women. Though I do like Viet Cong and Preoccupations I think that Pat Flegels music exactly goes on from where Women left. I missed that sound a lot and Preoccupations - as good as they are - don't have it.

First there was a 7" under the name Androgynous Mind (300). Long gone but I am confident you will find it on eBay or Discogs soon. It's a bit noisy at the start but when it comes to "knock on my door" you will have a mindblowingly beautiful song.

After that he recorded as "Cindy Lee" and self released two tapes (100 each?) and one LP (300). All limited and all gone. But all of it gets reissued on Vinyl at the moment both in North America and Europe. I got mine from Maple Death in Italy. The label owner stated that there will be new music too which will make four LPs. In my opinion "Act of Tenderness" is the best release of them all; an uttlerly beautiful album that I believe anybody into John Maus is supposed to love.

It took me a few years after Women disbanded to find this.