Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 am 
hippopotamaus

If your cassette recorder has more than one input, you can make a stereo mix from your computer to tape. It depends on the outputs of your computer and the inputs of the cassette recorder. You could also avoid that hassle by mixing/mastering with your DAW. That reminds me of Pitiless Censors - it sounds like JM used artificial tape hiss on some of the songs (And the Rain, Keep Pushing On) which didn't seem to help, but they're still good songs. Going from computer to cassette seems kinda weird to me, like fetishizing the cassette medium. In my opinion it doesn't really help the music. But if you think it helps, that's cool too. Artist's intentions and all.
Regarding mono vs stereo: i think stereo usually sounds better. Mono sounds cramped to me, makes it harder to distinguish the instruments/voices, but i don't think it will destroy a song. I wish more of AP's songs on The Doldrums, HA/LB were in stereo but I love those songs all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 pm 
little maus on the prairie

woahhh dude, u are totally right, i am panning the shit out of these instrument tracks. . holy shit this is like a whole new world!! thx so much for this obvious tip!! i can't believe that i hadn't figured this out already!

a thousand thank u's 2 u MausterofDisguise :float:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 am 
hippopotamaus

Yeahnoproblem glad to help. Wait a second...!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 am 
anonymaus

I kinda forgot about this thread... oops :headslap: :wave:

When I originally posted this thread, I was very intrigued by the sound of a lot of Ariel's older recordings. I still am, but ultimately Ariel's songs were geniusly crafted, and I think the mixes only add a certain charm to them. They don't actually "make" the songs. Btw, since posting I've come to the conclusion that using an old tape in a multitrack gives you a murkier sound (kind of a no brainer haha). I have a box of old TDK blanks from the 70s and 80s. This is something I've done recently with my 8 track. Drums were done with an MPC recorded by hand at a slow speed, then sped up to the original pitch position.

https://soundcloud.com/wolvesinwisconsi ... he-hilltop

I think the whole DBX on during recording, off during playback really helps create that weird vibe (did that for the drums and the last bit of guitar that comes in midway). Also I've found abruptly cutting off tracks helps add to the aesthetic. So like, if the reverb trails off, instead of having that naturally fade, just hit the record button on that track and punch in something else over that. So in a nutshell, just use a bad tape and punch in crudely.

And in response to the whole computer + cassette thing, I think cassette tape helps add a certain texture to sounds. It colors the sound in a unique way. I've recorded songs on the computer before where I then stemmed out each individual track to cassette, then painstakingly brought them back in on the timeline just because I wanted everything to sound fuzzy and punchy (I thank Bibio for that tip). Either way, it just comes down to having fun.