Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Most Annoying Song Ever?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:57 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Recently an attempt was made to poll the most undesirable elements in music and create a monstrous mash up, which can be heard here:
http://www.wired.com/listening_post/200 ... ntific-at/

In light of this, I am interested to know: what is everyone's most hated musical convention (or un-convention)? Generally my tolerance for holiday chunes is fairly low (unless I'm in the spirit). It's the shameless gimmickry I can't stand. Otherwise certain harmonica solos can get under my skin (not in a good way). I like to think I have an open mind, however, and most of these elements can be put to meaningful use in the right hands!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:19 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I heard the new Lady Gaga song and can't get it out of my head, it's annoying & catchy
haha, sometimes annoying is good, sometimes not
I hate that Sweetest Thing song by U2...hmm a lot of songs by Van Morrison too
and that Grimes song i have no idea what it's called, but it should be called "preset sprite defecates"
and all these chillwave bands that sound so lazy and soulless, that annoys me along with the bah bah bah indie anthem commercials...it does represent our times I suppose
speaking of which, I vote "Like a Rolling Stone" as the most annoying song ever
It's part of the American vernacular, but the vernacular means nothing to me
I can't explain why certain music annoys me...what I like probably annoys others x2,3,4,5,6, I know that for a fact, so naturally it's relative :arms:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

i agree about the harmonica solo too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5YSIiMNqY
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
john everymaus

I can dig a harmonica solo every now and then.

My most hated popular band is Maroon 5. Can't stand the dude's vocals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am 
little maus on the prairie

Mumford & Sons style songs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 pm 
city maus

off the top of my head it's "benny & the jets"

sorry elton fans.

if i thought more about it, probably something else.

in time, those revised thoughts of what you reckon are annoying songs posted here will keep this thread alive!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 am 
john everymaus

ricky wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:32 am 
anonymaus

ricky wrote:
The entire "folk/blue grass craze" that's appeared in recent years, I'm not a fan.
Fun. They are trying to be Queen. I hate it. I really don't see the appeal.
Adele. I want her to go away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:07 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I think my biggest pet hate is an act like The Dave Matthews Band: insufferably bland compositions, deathly boring musicians, criminal mediocrity. I don't understand how this formula seems generally pleasing to so many. It's almost like a sinister manipulation to me, subliminal messages sicked on an unsuspecting public like some frothing Cujo. The infuriating averageness of it all would be soporific if it didn't make me want to claw my own eyeballs out of my head.
Thankfully, they seem to have been more of a 90's phenomenon. Don't get me started on the 90's...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 am 
city maus

LadyLazarus wrote:
Don't get me started on the 90's...
please do..

what do you have against the 90s? is it grunge?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 am 
anonymaus

I just listened to the entire most annoying song, it was pretty good. For part of it a µ-Ziq album had somehow starting playing in my itunes, not a bad mix actually.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:31 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Harry wrote:
LadyLazarus wrote:
Don't get me started on the 90's...
please do..

what do you have against the 90s? is it grunge?
Hmm where do I begin?

The flannel shirts.
The complete lack of regard for real composition and imagination.
The emergence of soulless music videos as a relentless advertising regime.
These people with no personality and no style catering to the complacent, entitled MTV generation with their gain-guzzling guitars or their whiny aggro rock brand of pathetic misogyny. Alternatively, brainless, hollow carcasses of pop songs purported by prepubescent aliens. This was an era where it seemed to me the main objective was to sell records rather than make music, doing whatever possible to achieve these ends, whether it be taking their shirts off, wearing gimmicky masks or growing stupid hair on their faces.
I can break it down further:
Sugar Ray
Hootie and the Blowfish
Nickelback
Spin Doctors
Aqua
Kid Rock
Limp Bizkit
Creed

Fuck the '90's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I like some 90s music, but none of the bands you mentioned! I think there is shit in every decade, the shit gets weeded out as the decades go on. But I do like bands like Pulp, Blur, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Pixies, stoner metal, early 90s black metal and so on...but most of them started in the 80s, well except for Pulp, technically the late 70s. Now here's something pretty disturbing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever:_ ... ulture_Box
So what's on the 00's box...hmm :headscratch:
I agree about all things listed above about annoying stuff
does anyone remember that Train song that was on commercials, that might take the cake too

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:50 pm 
city maus

yeah, like the pokemauster said i think there is shit in every decade but it is up to you to discern what is good and bad.
as an example, i loved fugazi in the 90s. i saw them in 1993 and their show was simply amazing - one of the best live bands i've ever seen.
they certainly weren't into being chest beating macho beasts and they had a strong ethical stance in their overall approach into reaching an audience without a desire to just make money.
things have changed a lot since then too, obviously with the advent of the internet where the listener has an unprecedented instant access to music that simply was not available back in the 90s. back then, you definitely had to work harder to find good music.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:02 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Of course my denunciation of that entire decade was a gross generalisation, although it does volunteer itself for ridicule fairly readily. I take massive exceptions to my 'fuck the '90's' statement, however, with those bands you mentioned in particular, App. Certainly there is a special place in my heart for Pulp, whose efficacy as a pop band extends to leader Jarvis Cocker inadvertently turning me on to Maus. He was kind of responsible for me hearing "Do Your Best" for the first time (My sister saw Pulp at Radio City Music Hall and he played it over the PAs between sets. Further investigation revealed Maus-heavy playlists from Jarvis for Spilt Milk, etc). My esteem for Nirvana pretty much goes without saying, although I was shocked to see them get a spot in a poll for Most Hated 90's Bands in Rolling Stone magazine recently (the latter blatantly told its readers they were wrong for this submission).

Anyway, back to the hate: Coldplay. :rage: