Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bangs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 am 
mausketeer

Bangs is by far my favourite recent Australian musician. And I tend not to like local music because it's too trendy and always centred around some kind of inpenetrable scene.

Bangs is totally different.

He is a true original and has so much more to offer than his viral videos.

So far he has released three albums, all completely brilliant and unique pop rap, with the most honest rawk lyrics I have ever heard. Here is an example:
Quote:
"When my heart is crying in the middle of a smile, it means that I remember what I have done when I was young."
All his songs are about love, fucking, and the Internet.

"I'm Going to the Ghetto": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuI9zIPmghM
"Meet Me on Facebook": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchaAtrwkE4

He is a 'New Sincerity' artist whose best work is being ignored because he is too famous. He's Daniel Johnston or something, but not crazy.

Sadly, the Australian music press has virtually ignored him, so his non-viral music hasn't received much attention.

Also, a recent name change from Bangs to Ur Boy Bangs makes his new album slightly hard to find on iTunes (yep, Bangs is so underappreciated that the only way to find his music is through legitimate channels).

Bangs' music is the the most accurate personification of Melbourne, Australia I've ever come across. I really believe Bangs' lyrics should be made a text in the English syllabus in this country because kids don't relate to that bush poetry shit anymore. I don't even live in Melbourne. I just think Bangs represents that city more than any musician that's come out of it in the past, because he is so honest.

I highly recommend Ur Boy Bangs' new album Lookin' 4 Better Dayz.