Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Any gigs lined up?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I am a medium! You're awesome LL :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I stayed with my friend in London while I saw The Space Lady. I slept on a lumpy air mattress (which I joked gave me something to cuddle at night) surrounded by toy pianos, cellos, and baby Orange amplifiers.
Before the show, we stopped in for pizza slices at Voodoo Ray's. We were ushered in with a chainsaw blast of Ramones eponymous LP, and I decided I simply HAD to have a slice named after the great Giorgio Moroder (and topped with goat's cheese, spinach and sun dried tomatoes).
Once we got to the venue, it quickly became clear this was an uber-sophisticated event with all of the art gallery pretentions (and none of the booze!). Neither of us felt like coffee and teacakes, so we hoboed it in the park with a bottle of wine and talked about the difficulties of composing music. With all of the presets and plugins available to you with software like Ableton, it is nearly impossible to know when to stop. He encouraged me to pick up a 17 quid piece of shit guitar (he threw paint all over his without even bothering to remove the strings) because it disciplines you.
We polished off our Tesco Value rose and headed back in to a hushed auditorium. A Swedish couple sat at opposite ends of a table and slowly twiddled knobs and dials. It sounded good, but I felt I was watching someone's reinterpreted dinner conversation. "So how was your day?" (Long, syncopated synth loop). "It was fine." (Blustery distortion).
Then they finished to polite applause and floodlights came on. Glorious John Maus music replaced them on the sound systems and I felt a swelling in my heart. I ambushed The Space Lady at her Space Station/merch table, but she had only four minutes until she went on. She apologised profusely, took up her pinball helmet, and told me we would talk at the end.
Her presence on stage was one of someone genuinely humbled and delighted to have reached such an audience (as a former subway performer). It was clear she felt blessed to be touring the world, and when she smiled her interplanetary smile, it was impossible not to feel blessed right along with her. She crooned and yelped and caressed warm, spacey rhythms out of her Casio Tone. She rightfully received a standing ovation. I was on my feet, clapping heartily, and she murmured gentle words of gratitude.
She closed out with her version of "Imagine," which was far more moving than the original with its added sense of sweet naivite and that unwavering belief in positive possibility (without the aggressive persona of John Lennon getting in the way). The Space Lady: (Inter)Stellar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:47 am 
little maus on the prairie

Going here Saturday:
[ img ]

Connan Mockasin in May.
Umm, I think that's it for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 pm 

This was just announced:
[ img ]
Bought my ticket already.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I just gigged New York style in London with 6 shows in 7 days. I saw Shannon & the Clams, Black Lips, Colleen Green (twice), POW!, Gary War, and Tijuana Panthers.
Here is a video I shot of Gary War's set at The Victoria:
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... re%3Dshare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I would love to see Sleep in August! They're playing in PHL
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:09 pm 

LadyLazarus wrote:
I just gigged New York style in London with 6 shows in 7 days. I saw Shannon & the Clams, Black Lips, Colleen Green (twice), POW!, Gary War, and Tijuana Panthers.
Here is a video I shot of Gary War's set at The Victoria:
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... re%3Dshare
Thx for the Vid! There are so few Gary War videos out there. -Why is that, btw? :sherlock: It seems suspect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:51 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I've just been to see Allah-Las from California. The bassist talked to me at the merch table and said he noticed all of my band/Burger Records buttons, but what struck him the most was my custom John Maus one. He said he'd seen him six years ago at a nowhere club and asked me what he was up to.
Never ceases to amaze me what seemingly tenuous musical links are forged with Maus-lore. This is a rock 'n' roll surf band and they didn't care about anything else on my jacket except John Maus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:36 am 
city maus

1 the pop group are in my neck of the woods in march 2015.

never thought i would get the opportunity to see them, and with the original line-up.

times are weird these days

2 ariel pink in melbourne at sugar mountain in january. also keen to check out bo ningen and maybe (gulp) swans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm 

I saw Connan Mockasin Saturday night and towards the end of the night Mac Demarco came out and kissed/groped Connan. Connan Moackasin shows are always interesting. Oh yeah Sexy Sax Man also played the flute for a few songs. That was weird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:28 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Recently I saw spunky Seattlites Tacocat play a show in Bristol. Myself and two Welsh guys were the only ones in the audience who knew their songs. A Scot who reeked of whisky kept harassing me to dance and then wiped out on top of the PAs, dragging the mic stand down nearly on top of me. That's some fancy footwork. Then I chatted with the guitarist Eric outside for ages and he invited my friend and I to his house any time we are in The Emerald City.

Next up is Ty Segall (this will be my third Ty show) and The Growlers the following night.
Then I am back in London next week for Ariel (with The Garden), Viet Cong and King Tuff. November has been a busy month for gigs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:47 am 

i saw Pharmakon perform a few nights ago. she set up all of her stuff on the ground in front of the stage and walked thru all of us that were circled around her, and she was crawling thru peoples legs and stuff. she also made extremely close eye contact w/ me for like 15 seconds while she was leaning up against me(very close) and screaming. it was kind of strange, because i was thinking, like, 'should i feel bad for being kind-of turned on by this?? because it seems like she is trying to convey a dark sense of absolute anguish and despair.' it was interesting. i will say though, it's hard for me to really engage w/ music (in the live setting) that has an ambiguous rhythm w/o anything resembling 'drums.' i feel like a caveman for saying that(we want the fucking beat!!), but what else are we supposed do in that setting but just 'watch,' and it makes me feel uncomfortable when i think about what the performer must be thinking, because i know how it can be frustrating, or maybe discouraging is a better word, when no one is really reciprocating your. . energy?? idk, u know what i mean

i also saw Slayer, last month. it might have been one of my favorite shows ever. there's just something w/ legendary metal groups that they are usually still really good at playing their music, and because of what the instrumentation demands, they just stand there and it's more about the music than it is entertainment or whatever. it was exactly like that when i saw Mayhem -- w/ THREE of the original/semi-original members !!!-- 2 years ago, it was the most visceral thing i have ever experienced at a 'show.' it seems like there is an expectation w/ these kinds of shows, that like, we, the enthusiasts, are all going to really engage w/ the music in a physical way, and in that sense it is a lot easier to be 'a part' of a show, as opposed to expecting to just stand there and watch ___ play their pop songs that we all love. also, especially w/ older well known metal groups there seems to be a lot less idiotic, intentional infliction of harm(the kind of stuff that is frightening to me in those settings), because the crowd energy tends to be directed more towards the stage. i would guess that it's like that because we want see our heroes there on the stage, to know that they actually exist and are right there in front of us or something, idk. -- i hope that we can eventually transform all of these 2 cool 4 school, cool band shows into something where we all expect to take part in it, like how Punk Rock used to be, but w/o assholes that don't care about the music just trying to fuck everyone up. i think that seeing John Maus perform was probably the closest thing to that, that i've personally experienced

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:32 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

gonna try to see Kraftwerk in Philadelphia, hopefully my bro gets tickets 8D

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:22 am 
mausketeer

If any bands in the NYC area could help my band out with getting some summer gigs or advice would be much appreciated

ohohecstasy.bandcamp.com

is this the wrong place to post this. if so im sorry!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:38 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I could ask my sister for you, hammy. She lives in BK and is constantly going to shows.

Was very excited to hear from the man himself that HARRY MERRY is returning in support of Ariel for his UK tour dates. Can't wait to see him again! Hopefully we'll be able to have a longer chat this time since the venue is a lot more in the DIY spirit than where I saw him last. To anyone in the UK area: he is not to be missed! Definitely make it a priority to turn up early for his set. He will blow your mind (and make you smile, too)!