Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Your demo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:24 am 
hippopotamaus

Some of the sounds especially at the beginning reminded me of the first section of Foilly Foibles/ Gold. I'm curious as to how you got those sounds. A synth or software instruments? Its fun to know the nerdy details. But i dont understand the prog label its been given. Progressive, regressive, stagnant, circular? Or is it a krautrock/German prog influence? Anyway it was a good listen. And fieldmaus, i liked that live video of your "Promise". Does anybody remember that mausspacer Red Hook? He was pretty good too. Theres a few more whove shared their music outside this thread. Excuse the dwindling post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 am 
city maus

ok i just listened to foilly foibles/gold so i could understand the comparison. (thanks for listening/commenting too!)
with this track, i tried something i hadn't done before as an experiment. i always wondered how ariel achieved such a wide array tonal variations with what i am assuming are cheap instruments. this always fascinated me because i am very much into the idea of creating great sounding and interesting pieces using budget equipment. i think r. stevie's fearless, 'use anything you've got' approach was the beginning of this impetus.
so i found myself a yamaha pss-460 at an op shop for $40 recently and tried to see what i could get out of this thing. my main instrument is guitar, so i don't really know how to play keyboards except for feeling my way around for chords or finding the scale and noodling.

i was exposed to the band 'egg' with their first album many, many moons ago and their unorthodox line-up of bass, drums and keyboards (for the early seventies at least when everyone else was mainly playing guitar driven hard rock). anyway, the interesting thing i noticed was how the organist was using what sounded like a wah pedal in his setup, creating these interesting swelling sounds for an effect i usually equated being used for electric guitar.
many years later when listened to ariel's albums obsessively for nigh on two years, i figured that maybe that was what he was doing with his keyboards as well as employing an array of other effects to his sound.

so to get to the point, i inserted the output of the yamaha into my boss multi-fx unit, switched on the rhythm machine and dialed in some stereo delay and 'played' it with the wah. then i did pretty much the same thing with the guitar but with random effects being used throughout the track.
i'm pleased with the results and will employ this approach to future recordings as long as i don't start to sound like i'm repeating myself.

as for the prog label, i dunno. maybe i was still thinking about 'egg' at the time.

btw, what's the url for fieldmaus' video? i wouldn't mind checking it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 am 
little maus on the prairie

Yea? Thx Jacob!!!

And, i agree! foiley foibles was my first thought too! Thx for sharing how you got that sound, Harry, I was also very curious about that, I can't wait to try it!

Quote:
btw, what's the url for fieldmaus' video? i wouldn't mind checking it out.
--Oh jeez. Well, since u asked for it:
http://m-jc.tumblr.com/post/70140759114 ... s-year-the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

The new Rare Goat album is out! This is our first collection of original material. I wrote and sing 1/3 of it (Holocaust Walnut Bowl, Watch Your Diction, and Watching You).

I'd appreciate yinz giving it a listen and telling me how much u like it. :kiss:

http://raregoat.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm excited to listen to your songs! Thanks RG :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:50 am 
anonymaus

https://soundcloud.com/ibrahim-terzic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:17 pm 
john everymaus

Instead of a final exam, my rock n roll history professor asked for a final composition. My friend Josh, somebody who is very musically talented, did 100% of the instrumentation (this is his soundcloud). I wrote the lyrics and did vocals. Here it is: "Bob's."

https://soundcloud.com/josh-zimmerer/bobs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 pm 
hippopotamaus

PG, that was great!

...how the hell did you get BEST NEW TRACK status from Pitchfork?! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 am 
john everymaus

ha! thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:31 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Another long-time musical project of mine has recently released an album of lo fi drugged out space music. The Blue Sign Factory is me and my old college friend Rob, and we've been recording stuff every time we get together for the last 20 years or so, though it's been much less frequent in the last 10 since he moved out to Seattle. So this was recorded during my recent trip out there a few months ago. I took some basic live recordings and edited them and added overdubs and effects later. Rob plays a real Fender Rhodes electric piano and I play a real electric guitar, and we both use whatever weird effects we can.

I mentioned a while back in another thread that some young guy I met on another forum had the privilege of releasing an R. Stevie Moore EP specially prepared for his fledgling bandcamp "label", as RSM happened upon some of the stuff he'd released so far and liked it. I decided to release this Blue Sign Factory thing on that label too. It's been "out" about 3 weeks and I haven't heard a peep. I actually haven't even really told anyone I released it, so maybe that's why. It's kind of a weird project, I don't expect a lot of people to like it.

How's that for a soft sell ..... that takes two long paragraphs.

http://ithoughtyouwereamarxistrecords.b ... mping-trip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:31 am 
city maus

^i like it!!

i can hear the ghost of michael karoli in some of your guitar playing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:01 am 
anonymaus

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, so forgive me. I'm Alex, and I make a lot of different music.

I found this forum by accident a while back. I was looking something up on Ariel Pink, and came across this place. I figure this could be a nice community to get involved with. Though I'm not much into John Maus' albums, I'm really into a lot of what Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti has done. Not sure if that's a no-no haha.

Anyway, this is a song I recorded under my project, Relief Squad. It's something heavily influenced by bands like Duster and Flying Saucer Attack (if you're not familiar with either band, look up Duster's album Stratosphere and FSA's s/t album).

Relief Squad - Hours Away

I'm also selling some CD-Rs of some stuff I've done on my Yamaha MT4X, but I'm not here to try and sell anybody anything.

Relief Squad - Seismic Velocity

I also make electronic music, as shown here...

Caves - Driftphase Internal

This was done in Logic, and then mixed onto my 4 track, then blasted through my Tascam 103 cassette deck with the dolby trick.

But I also make much more polished music too...

Bearhead - Lately (ft. Tape Sounds)

I also like to mess around with shoegaze textures with guitars...

tape 1 - side a - track 10

I don't mean to spam, but I feel like this is a good introduction, and music is really the only thing I'm good at talking about haha. Plus, I don't want to get my music pigeonholed into any specifics since I make different types of music. That isn't everything, but I think that's more than good enough. :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:05 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Cool Alex, thanks for the new stuff to listen to. I'm gonna check it all out in a bit. Hope you stick around!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm 
anonymaus

RareGoat wrote:
Cool Alex, thanks for the new stuff to listen to. I'm gonna check it all out in a bit. Hope you stick around!
I certainly will. It'd be nice to see what other people do in their home studios.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:48 am 
city maus

promo for my latest albums, fata morgana I & II.
links to my bandcamp page are contained within the youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtRzdfeIjRY

it's drone/experimental with an emphasis on the mental part which is an aquired taste so i'm not expecting too much interest for pop fans.
but what the heck, i thought i'd post it here anyway.