Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Your demo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:57 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

AppTrans wrote:
RG I really like your band, I can hear Pere Ubu/Melvins vocals going on in the first song which is rockin
I'll have to go through your entire soundcloud page
do you have an album out?
Awww thanks App. 8D That means a lot to me.
We're still working on our first album but I'm using my soundcloud to put up songs in progress so I can share and get feedback. I hope that we finish it by the end of the year. We get together one night a week and we've really been focusing on recording since we don't have any live gigs in the immediate future. We're probably about 2/3 done, there are 11 songs, 3 of which I wrote.

My soundcloud also includes older recordings I did with an old friend of mine as the Blue Sign Factory - more improvisational and rough. (i.e. made up on the spot).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:47 pm 
little maus on the prairie

Hi everyone! Here’s a link to some of my music: http://www.joshuacotterino.bandcamp.com

I know i’ve got like such a long way to go, but do you think that it shows any kind of potential to you at all??

-- I’m really excited to check out these projects!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:43 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Great work, Josh! Reminded me of classic minimal synth like The Units, Experimental Products, et al. "Down the Streets" was probably my favorite track. I am a sucker for hand-clapping beats.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:46 pm 
city maus

just downloaded your album josh. will check it out during the week. i quite like what i've heard so far..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:53 pm 

LadyLazarus wrote:
Great work, Josh! Reminded me of classic minimal synth like The Units, Experimental Products, et al. "Down the Streets" was probably my favorite track. I am a sucker for hand-clapping beats.
Thanks LL! Experimental Products really have been a great inspiration to me. I'm not familiar with The Units, but I bet I'll like them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:02 am 

Harry wrote:
just downloaded your album josh. will check it out during the week. i quite like what i've heard so far..
Harry, where do you suggest I start with your discography?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

This is soooo good fieldmouse :victory:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm 

AppTrans wrote:
This is soooo good fieldmouse :victory:
How encouraging, thank you!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:00 am 
city maus

fieldmaus wrote:
Hi everyone! Here’s a link to some of my music: http://www.joshuacotterino.bandcamp.com

I know i’ve got like such a long way to go, but do you think that it shows any kind of potential to you at all??
hey man, great stuff! very tricky sounding sequencing going on there. something i'm still trying to wrap my head around.
there is a lot of potential there mate, no doubt about it. keep at it.
fieldmaus wrote:

Harry, where do you suggest I start with your discography?
i am working on a sampler download at the moment so i'll keep ya posted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:21 am 
city maus

as of the last post, i am now a "mausketeer".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm 
mausketeer

hey yall,

im lovin these demos on the thread. heres some of my music, the newest single i "released" was for halloween
http://ohohecstasy.bandcamp.com/album/g ... ill-single

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am 
city maus

this isn't a demo.

it's my latest recording. it like sounds like what they often label as "prog" to me.

the track is called "australia day" because that's roughly when i brought this to fruition. inspired title.. :|

please folks, lend me your ears.. i'm beggin ya

https://soundcloud.com/one-eyed-man-1/australia-day

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I like! It gets a little crazy near the end which always helps trippy pieces like this along. Modern but with a trace of NEU in there. :dancparty:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm 

Harry wrote:
this isn't a demo.

it's my latest recording. it like sounds like what they often label as "prog" to me.

the track is called "australia day" because that's roughly when i brought this to fruition. inspired title.. :|

please folks, lend me your ears.. i'm beggin ya

https://soundcloud.com/one-eyed-man-1/australia-day
GREAT sounds and tones Harry!

Modern Prog isn't really something that I listen to very often, and I'm realizing that my suggestions would basically make this a Kraut Rock song, (maybe prog isn't about any of these things, idk!) so this feedback might be totally useless/discouraging, and if so plz forgive me! -- You didn't want to add any drums and vocals?? Also, maybe you could add a little more tape hiss/texture to the tracks? And maybe some more dynamics? I think the tambourines help with that, but maybe you could make a quiet section?

But again, AWESOME sounds, man!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 am 
city maus

thanks for the feed back fellas! to be honest, i don't even listen to prog very much myself - it's just the way this came out probably due to the rhythm machine i used to create the track. ok fieldmaus, i will reveal my weakness which is vocals. i could probably hold a note if i had to but i just ain't that good and i'm a terrible lyricist. any songs i do have that have any vocals in them are either terribly basic or convoluted and confused. i remember ariel saying once that lyrics were a necessary evil for for him so that his music didn't sound like muzak. well, i find it to be an excruciating hurdle for me which actually takes the fun out of creating music. i dislike sitting there dreaming up scenarios to paste over the top of my music. everyone's their own worst critic and for some reason, lyrics are what can drive me crazy because i will never be happy with what i come up with. i wish could just relax about it, but just can't seem to be content with them. this is why i think i need a collaborator to take care of this aspect. i know someone who writes good stuff but he's generally fairly busy most of the time. so for this reason, my music is usually going to sound muzaky. this is fine though as i don't have any big aspirations - just to have people say that the chune is nice or that it is something that warms their ears. i agree though that adding vocals does lift a composition into another level that most folks will be able to appreciate more. i have several creations that lyrics have been added to that are unfinished and will probably remain that way unless i can reconcile my dilemma.