Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3719 posts ]  Go to page « 1244 245 246 247 248 »
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm 
anonymaus

very sick mrnashville

who are some of your favorite local bands in nashville? i have lived here for about a year now but am very bad at seeking out live shows. saw chelsea lovitt at the five spot last night, who was great. unfortunately she does not have very good recordings yet or I would post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:56 pm 
anonymaus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgx3clk8HfY

DAM - paranoid of blondes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

europeanoilz wrote: *
very sick mrnashville

who are some of your favorite local bands in nashville? i have lived here for about a year now but am very bad at seeking out live shows. saw chelsea lovitt at the five spot last night, who was great. unfortunately she does not have very good recordings yet or I would post
I’m not from Nashville but there’s one band I love from there - Savoy Motel. I saw them open for the Lemon Twigs a few years ago in Atlanta and bought their album (sadly, they still only have one). I still play the hell out of that album. I hope they eventually do something else. I think they still play occasional local gigs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:01 am 
anonymaus

thanks RG! digging the song writing, a lot.i dont think there are any bad bands with songs called Jennifer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:12 pm 
mausketeer

very sick mrnashville

I don't think there are as many great local bands here as there was 10-20 years ago. A lot of people like Lambchop, William Tyler (who I think actually moved to Cali), Dave Berman - who was also back and forth between Nashville and other places. Those guys have been around for a while though. Sadly, it seems that most of the local music I come across in Nashville these days are bands or solo artists really trying to “make it” with commercial success. There are a few of the Pitchfork sensations like Soccer Mommy (who wasn’t really my cup of tea) and Margo Price. Honestly not sure why I listed all of these bands that I don’t really listen to! I know a lot of other people here locally enjoy them so maybe you will?

There is a lady named Cortney Tidwell that I used to play with a while back. She’s no longer playing shows, but I would love to recommend her albums “Don’t Let Stars Keep Us Tangled Up” and “Boys”. I think she will get back at it one of these days. She’s one of the best underground acts to come out of Nashville imo. She also did a country album with Kurt Wagner from Lambchop. A few years ago, we did a cover of R Stevie’s “I Go Into Your Mind” that maybe you would enjoy. He used to come by their basement and I’ve had the honor of jamming with him a few times. I guess I’ll also plug myself and mention my album https://acthompson.bandcamp.com/releases

There really used to be a great local scene here. Maybe there still is but I’m just not hip to the new stuff? Most of the bands I’m seeing here these days are from out of town. I’m also older and have a kid so I’m not out there in the middle of it like I used to be!

Last edited by mrnashville on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:59 pm 
mausketeer

Every once in a while, R. Stevie will come out of hibernation and play a show in Nashville. I've seen him 4 times here and it's always a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:27 pm 
mausketeer

RareGoat wrote: *
very sick mrnashville

I’m not from Nashville but there’s one band I love from there - Savoy Motel. I saw them open for the Lemon Twigs a few years ago in Atlanta and bought their album (sadly, they still only have one). I still play the hell out of that album. I hope they eventually do something else. I think they still play occasional local gigs.
I’m going to check Savoy Motel out ASAP. I love the Twigs!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:09 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

mrnashville wrote: *
Every once in a while, R. Stevie will come out of hibernation and play a show in Nashville. I've seen him 4 times here and it's always a lot of fun.
I actually met and talked to RSM at the aforementioned Lemon Twigs/Savoy Motel show. One of the main reasons I went was because he was going to be there. He even went on stage to perform one song.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm 
john everymaus

RareGoat wrote: *
possiblegrenade wrote: *
Started listening to the birthday party and my mind is blown

[ img ]
Ooh The Friend Catcher is a favorite from this one.
same. now that I've gone through the birthday party, I'l be starting the bad seeds. Never listened.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 am 
anonymaus

very sick mrnashville

I don't think there are as many great local bands here as there was 10-20 years ago. A lot of people like Lambchop, William Tyler (who I think actually moved to Cali), Dave Berman - who was also back and forth between Nashville and other places. Those guys have been around for a while though. Sadly, it seems that most of the local music I come across in Nashville these days are bands or solo artists really trying to “make it” with commercial success. There are a few of the Pitchfork sensations like Soccer Mommy (who wasn’t really my cup of tea) and Margo Price. Honestly not sure why I listed all of these bands that I don’t really listen to! I know a lot of other people here locally enjoy them so maybe you will?

There is a lady named Cortney Tidwell that I used to play with a while back. She’s no longer playing shows, but I would love to recommend her albums “Don’t Let Stars Keep Us Tangled Up” and “Boys”. I think she will get back at it one of these days. She’s one of the best underground acts to come out of Nashville imo. She also did a country album with Kurt Wagner from Lambchop. A few years ago, we did a cover of R Stevie’s “I Go Into Your Mind” that maybe you would enjoy. He used to come by their basement and I’ve had the honor of jamming with him a few times. I guess I’ll also plug myself and mention my album https://acthompson.bandcamp.com/releases

There really used to be a great local scene here. Maybe there still is but I’m just not hip to the new stuff? Most of the bands I’m seeing here these days are from out of town. I’m also older and have a kid so I’m not out there in the middle of it like I used to be!
Thanks for this. I reflect your sentiment albeit with a smaller sample size. IMO no one born after 1980 can sing for $hit. i'm born 91...

savoy motel tho, who RG recommended, are playing a lot of house type shows and according to IG working on a new record

Your R Stevie cover is cool, and its cool that he posted it on his bandcamp.

RIP david. for anyone who is a pavement fan and hasn't heard Starlite Walker, that's the second best pavement album ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:11 am 
anonymaus

listening to mausspace's own joshua cotterino

this one song pop shop is an obvious but unprecedented synth pop ramones. would be a classic if he would JUST REPEAT THE CHORUS :arms: :silly:

https://soundcloud.com/joshuajcotterino ... 4-pop-shop

https://soundcloud.com/joshuajcotterino ... urden-down

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 pm 
mausketeer

very sick mrnashville

Thanks for this. I reflect your sentiment albeit with a smaller sample size. IMO no one born after 1980 can sing for $hit. i'm born 91...

savoy motel tho, who RG recommended, are playing a lot of house type shows and according to IG working on a new record

Your R Stevie cover is cool, and its cool that he posted it on his bandcamp.

RIP david. for anyone who is a pavement fan and hasn't heard Starlite Walker, that's the second best pavement album ;)
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 pm 
anonymaus

"Cpt Sensible's Backing Band"....Dolly MIxture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIzu5AXErRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjqbC5UzYg

Rough Trade just reissued their demo double lp and a new comp today on colored vinyl. NYC store is sold out

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:17 pm 
anonymaus

another from Dolly....1981......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OOYIlaBjk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:20 pm 
john everymaus

pinkspoons wrote: *
possiblegrenade wrote: *
pinkspoons wrote: *
[ img ]

good stuff here!

a lot of stuff is coming out that is just blowing me away. i can't help but point out that most of it (the hecks, omni, corridor, etc.) sounds inspired by one of the best bands to exist in the last decade: Women.

this hecks record is something special and deserves it's own praise but yeah. RIP women. :sadluvparty:
Started listening to all the bands you named here... thank you!! Think I enjoyed the hecks the most, love the tension in that record.
nice! you should check out crack cloud and N0V3L
Another band along these lines, (who cover Bennington!!!) is the band Deeper. Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned them here recently.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3719 posts ]  Go to page « 1244 245 246 247 248 »