Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Went straight back to work after Mausfest 2017, so haven't been able to provide a complete recap with pics and video. Will just summarize for the moment. 3S and Baby's were truly magic nights with good crowds, electric atmosphere and thrilling positive energy (I even got to meet Puro Piper and Skylar briefly who were right next to me for the duration of the Baby's show) and a BSDM who insisted Cop Killer was her jam when she was torturing people! She also regaled me with tales of propositioning Johnny Jewel for punishment, but apparently he wasn't into it. One of Gary Wilson's Blind Dates was in the audience, too, and he remembered me from Gary's show in Bristol, UK (where we had chatted and nerded out about Maus before), so that was cool.
MoMa was a huge disappointment through no fault of John's. Terrible atmosphere, mean crowd. Repulsive fidget spinner inflatable at center stage (looked amusingly to me like a finger up a butthole being twirled around). I excused myself as polite as could be to get through the maelstrom to find my sister and heard people behind me calling me a bitch! When I finally found my sister, the girls next to us would not let us be together and instead took selfies in front of us while John was playing.The set was over in the blink of an eye and it was so tough to connect just by virtue of being so completely alienated by everyone surrounding us. Not all bad, though. I saw a Henry Darger picture inside somewhere. I saw a couple with matching MDE shirts and a guy gave me a Gene Simmons copyrighted 'rock on' gesture when he saw my Joan Cornella shirt, showed me his phone background which was a hilariously gruesome Cornella comic strip. That was a highlight for sure.

Looking forward to Cambridge next. The Middle East seems like a more genuine place and I always enjoy the shows they host. Anyone coming for that should stay the extra night for Violet Nox at the Jeanie Johnston! My buddy Kris and Gary War play together and it's gonna be great.
And the show is free!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 am 
anonymaus

Thanks for the reviews. Shame about Moma huh? Only once been to a gig at a art gallery, everybody too self conscious to enjoy themselves it seems, most stayed away from the band at the other end of the space eating cheese and crackers and talking. Rock and Roll it werent. Let alone Punk. Nor Pop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
anonymaus

Anyone here going to the show in Cleveland this weekend? I can't wait!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:31 pm 
john everymaus

:666D: :666D: :666D: :666D: :666D:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm 
the great maus detective

re: LL's MoMa experience

I've been noticing more and more these days how so many people turn into total assholes when they go to concerts. I've been to a lot of concerts in my life, and sure, there's always been the occasional belligerent dickhole, but now it seems like every other show I go to is ruined or at least adversely affected by some schmuck (or pack of schmucks, collectively known as a "gaggle" according to Nat Geographic) who apparently have no awareness of how to act in a crowd situation. I blame the internet. Why? Cuz I'm old and we always blame the internet. Internet and millennials. Get off my lawn! :rage:

So that MoMa story unfortunately rings true for me too. Sounds even more extreme than what I've seen though. Damn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 pm 
anonymaus

RareGoat wrote: *
re: LL's MoMa experience

I've been noticing more and more these days how so many people turn into total assholes when they go to concerts. I've been to a lot of concerts in my life, and sure, there's always been the occasional belligerent dickhole, but now it seems like every other show I go to is ruined or at least adversely affected by some schmuck (or pack of schmucks, collectively known as a "gaggle" according to Nat Geographic) who apparently have no awareness of how to act in a crowd situation. I blame the internet. Why? Cuz I'm old and we always blame the internet. Internet and millennials. Get off my lawn! :rage:

So that MoMa story unfortunately rings true for me too. Sounds even more extreme than what I've seen though. Damn.
I think the internet is deleting my brain.

Last edited by Poe on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 am 
the great maus detective

Tis so . :sadparty:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 am 
anonymaus

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I went to see Depeche Mode and Mew in the last couple months, and there they are the friendliest concert goers you'll ever meet
only got into one fight at a concert in my life
also got beer spilled on me in high school when I saw some group, I think The Who

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 pm 
john everymaus

Had a very good time at the Cleveland show. The young folks up front were wild and moshing but no dickholes ruined anything for me. The sound was a little wonky at times, and I couldn't tell if it was a venue thing, or if the group was still working on making the band set up sound good. Anyone else who goes to shows this tour, post how the sound was for you. I'm def curious. Setlist was near perfect. Castles in the grave, quantum leap, and the rain, rights for gays, missiles in flight, the crucifix, the streetlight, Time to die, maniac, through the skies for you, cop killer, pets, touchdown. And then after all that an encore! Do your best, and believer. I can't imagine what John's body must have felt like after all that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm 
anonymaus

I was at the Cleveland show, it was great! My roommate and I were at the very front for the entire set-- he even moved a piece of broken glass out of John's way. I probably really embarrassed myself but that's okay, it was really fun. Before the show, AND after the show, we got to meet John and speak with him. His drummer also spoke to us for a while-- he gave my roommate a cigarette! Both of them were really kind, and I met a lot of other nice people as well, other fans and whatnot. I almost felt like kind of a phony-- this one woman was speaking to us about how she'd been waiting six years to see him. I've only been a fan for like a year! Plus I'm not really in city areas ever so it was a really really surreal and unique experience. We took a selfie with John and he signed our shirts! He also signed my Heaven Is Real book.

also had my first uber experience... a very nice man named Vladimir drove us to our hotel after the show
possiblegrenade wrote: *
Had a very good time at the Cleveland show. The young folks up front were wild and moshing but no dickholes ruined anything for me. The sound was a little wonky at times, and I couldn't tell if it was a venue thing, or if the group was still working on making the band set up sound good. Anyone else who goes to shows this tour, post how the sound was for you. I'm def curious. Setlist was near perfect. Castles in the grave, quantum leap, and the rain, rights for gays, missiles in flight, the crucifix, the streetlight, Time to die, maniac, through the skies for you, cop killer, pets, touchdown. And then after all that an encore! Do your best, and believer. I can't imagine what John's body must have felt like after all that.
I didn't notice any issues with the sound, but my roommate said he thought the bass sounded kind of out of chune, specifically on Quantum Leap. It didn't sound off at all to me, but there's a good chance I was excited to the point of delirium.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:38 pm 
anonymaus

quick question, hate me if it's already been stated: is he playing matter of fact? for such a relaxed song it seems like it'd be so fun to mosh to

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:30 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I don't think I've ever heard this played live!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm 
anonymaus

I'm just curious how long the sets have been on this tour? The last solo European shows were pretty intense