Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: FYF
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 pm 
john everymaus

It's music journalism, these people who reviewed Ariel Pink's old albums, the people who criticized John for his FYF performance... they're just people with opinions, like us. When you really break it down. The difference, of course, is that Pitchfork is an institution that has transcended music journalism. They guide cultural trends (as well as follow them, in cases of Nirvana). That's where things get obnoxious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I find it hard to swallow that the views expressed there are genuinely informed personal opinions. I think these journos always have some not-so-secret agenda to be fashionable, only building up an artist when it's 'cool' to do so and then tearing them down for the same reasons they were 'cool' the week before. That's why I stick to music fanzines: for music fans, by music fans. Also generally far better written without all the genre hair-splitting gobledegook.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:20 pm 
anonymaus

Hey: here's a recap of the FYF festival from Redefine magazine -- no recap about John Maus' performance, but two nice photos. Click below and scroll down some:

http://www.redefinemag.com/2012/fyf-fes ... o-gallery/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:27 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Bit of a snub there, but can't complain much when there are two new photos. Thanks again, P&M!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am 
country maus

The last Pitchfork sponsored event I went to had free booze and a roof top after party with a view of the glittering city skyline...So decadent for me! I can forget their sometimes sub-par writing style and trendy school of criticism if I can have more free nights out like that. :silly:

Great new photos of John in that recap!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:47 pm 
john everymaus

Still think crowdsurfing is a great option for future shows. I mean hear me out. Yes, John is trying to appear as just a man, but this would not be a "worship me I do rock and roll" stage dive out of School of Rock. He tries to exemplify the hysterical body, and I think by rushing out into the crowd during one of his more intense songs and musical moments could add to that. He wouldn't be outstretching his arms like "YEAH HERE I AM AMONGST MY FOLLOWERS!" but perhaps writhing, contorting, and screaming. Picture it. I think it works. He has said that he doesn't like all the politics of the stage, and what I like about crowd surfing is that the fourth wall, between the artist and the audience, is physically broken. Whether you agree or not, can you say where I'm coming from?

The only thing I'd be worried about is, obviously, him getting hurt. The guy already hurts himself with the live performance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:23 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Although I do see your point, I think John succeeds in presenting 'the hysterical body' without the gimmicks. I still tend to view crowd surfing as a cliched rock 'n' roll hard on thing to do. To me, it smacks of a vile sort of insincerity, especially within the context of John's music. John Maus is not Iggy Pop. I go to see him for a different experience. If he started crowd surfing, would he start doing shout-outs, too? HELLO LONDON, ARE YOU READY TO RAWK?! I hate that shit.
Also in London, some 'fans' almost stole his shoes off the stage. I can't think this would be a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:40 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I can't imagine John crowdsurfing. He is too much like the Jolly Green Giant for people to support him; people's arms would literally give.
However, I can imagine him rolling out a translucent toilet, sitting on it and reading R.L. Stine books while his music is playing for 28 minutes. He doesn't even have to sing over his own songs now. It'll be the Toilet Time Meditation Tour, guaranteed to have JM's autograph if you bring your own Goosebumps book. That'd be, like, a powerful statement laced with profundity.
:silly:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm 
john everymaus

LadyLazarus wrote:
Although I do see your point, I think John succeeds in presenting 'the hysterical body' without the gimmicks. I still tend to view crowd surfing as a cliched rock 'n' roll hard on thing to do. To me, it smacks of a vile sort of insincerity, especially within the context of John's music. John Maus is not Iggy Pop. I go to see him for a different experience. If he started crowd surfing, would he start doing shout-outs, too? HELLO LONDON, ARE YOU READY TO RAWK?! I hate that shit.
Also in London, some 'fans' almost stole his shoes off the stage. I can't think this would be a good idea.
Fair enough. I just wanted a proper refutation before I dismissed it.
AppTrans wrote:
I can't imagine John crowdsurfing. He is too much like the Jolly Green Giant for people to support him; people's arms would literally give.
However, I can imagine him rolling out a translucent toilet, sitting on it and reading R.L. Stine books while his music is playing for 28 minutes. He doesn't even have to sing over his own songs now. It'll be the Toilet Time Meditation Tour, guaranteed to have JM's autograph if you bring your own Goosebumps book. That'd be, like, a powerful statement laced with profundity.
:silly:
He could, like, go on stage with a fold out poker table and do a jigsaw puzzle while his music plays in reverse, and this video plays mutely in the background http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJl36w_yKw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:09 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I want to see him do magic tricks that inevitably go awry. He's supposed to pull a rabbit out of the hat but instead it's this guy:
[ img ]
then we find out the opossum is a cyborg and has information in its tail that gives us secrets about other dimensions.
so you can take off the tail and plug it into an amp. and you hear hisses from spirits, and the march that has no tempo