FYF

Discuss previous and upcoming shows here.

FYF

Postby ricky » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:47 am

John is playing at FYF Fest. I purchased my ticket earlier. :float:
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Re: FYF

Postby MadamAnt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:52 am

It's TODAY!! Looking forward to updates on here. :dancparty:
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby LadyLazarus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am

Have a great time, Ricky! :dancparty:
LadyLazarus
mausterious

Postby Joey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:59 am

Is he still doing it as a one man show? I remember reading that he was considering putting a band together.
Joey
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 am

From the pics I saw it was just him. Does anyone else feel like they'd be a little disappointed if he ever did get a band? I worry it would detract from the intimacy of the 'being with' that his shows are all about. I fail to see how superfluous people on the stage with him could improve the experience in any way (also, who would even be looking at them alongside the sheer schizophrenic energy of John and his 'intense claw'?).
LadyLazarus
mausterious

Postby Joey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 am

It's hard to say not having experienced it, but I think a live band would only make it better. A lot of music really comes to life when performed live.
Joey
anonymaus

Postby AppTrans » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 am

LadyLazarus wrote:I worry it would detract from the intimacy of the 'being with' that his shows are all about. I fail to see how superfluous people on the stage with him could improve the experience in any way (also, who would even be looking at them alongside the sheer schizophrenic energy of John and his 'intense claw'?).

I agree with this.
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby MadamAnt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 am

Joey wrote:It's hard to say not having experienced it, but I think a live band would only make it better. A lot of music really comes to life when performed live.

I think it's a unique enough event with John on his own, to be honest, what he's communicating just feels more immediate and direct. I'd be inclined to agree with you about live performances otherwise but the John Maus experience is something entirely different, so the idea of a traditional backing band seems almost dull. The reality could be very different, of course! Will have to see what happens further down the line.
MadamAnt
country maus

FYF

Postby dean » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 am

I'd hate if he went that route. It seems so fitting what he does already.
dean
maus is missing

Postby palmsvoice » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm

A report from Pitchfork, with a couple of spiteful comments about John: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8939-fyf-2012

I guess they thought it was time to turn off the love there. And to be honest, I think John's live show is getting just a little bit old. But I also have absolutely no idea what he might do to change things without losing a big chunk of the awesomeness. Maybe he could change his style of clothing? Change his haircut? I dunno, it seems superficial, but I think things could be done in the superficial department to great effect. Maybe it's just a question of hearing the same songs too many times.
palmsvoice
anonymaus

Postby MadamAnt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Without trying to leap to the defensive, I thought the Pitchfork blurb was just very cynical in general, mainly taking swipes at his academia - seems being smart is never going to be 'cool' in the 'pop scene'.
I've only seen him live once but can't really imagine the experience losing it's appeal...For me it was just totally invigorating, it didn't matter that he was singing along to a backing track or whatever, it was pure performance in the broadest sense of the word - transcendent, inspirational, and unforgettable.
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby palmsvoice » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 pm

MadamAnt wrote:For me it was just totally invigorating, it didn't matter that he was singing along to a backing track or whatever, it was pure performance in the broadest sense of the word - transcendent, inspirational, and unforgettable.

Don't get me wrong, I think his live concept is genius, EXACTLY for basically being 'a karaoke show', but a very special one at that. It's just that it sort of wore out. Maybe it ain't cool to say, but over the years it has become clear to me that you can become bored even with the most amazing things. There's actually nothing strange about that. Anyway, I'm not making a particular point here, just discussing.
palmsvoice
anonymaus

Postby ricky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 am

I've seen him 6 times now and I don't think his performance is dull. Seeing him at FYF was completely different because the stage is so big and you just aren't close enough to him. John Maus' performance demands intimacy and you can't get it at a festival setting. When compared to M83 or some of the other big band, John Maus can't compete with a well orchestrated light show and I feel that Pitchfork article was comparing acts against each other too much.
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Postby LadyLazarus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 am

palmsvoice wrote:
MadamAnt wrote:For me it was just totally invigorating, it didn't matter that he was singing along to a backing track or whatever, it was pure performance in the broadest sense of the word - transcendent, inspirational, and unforgettable.

Don't get me wrong, I think his live concept is genius, EXACTLY for basically being 'a karaoke show', but a very special one at that. It's just that it sort of wore out. Maybe it ain't cool to say, but over the years it has become clear to me that you can become bored even with the most amazing things. There's actually nothing strange about that. Anyway, I'm not making a particular point here, just discussing.

I guess we differ here in that I am the sort of person who will play my favourite song on repeat over 20 times in one hour and never grow tired of it. I will stare at the same spectacular view out a window and be dazzled by it every time (even if I wake up to it every single day). I will watch the same horror flick once daily for an entire week if I'm really into it. When something is good I just crave more.
LadyLazarus
mausterious

Postby possiblegrenade » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:48 am

That Pitchfork thing was frustrating. Fuck that noise.

The live performance of John Maus in an intimate venue is one that I could experience a million times. I love it. These larger shows and festivals that he's been doing are indeed a problem, though, and if I was there and toward the back... it wouldn't even be worth it. I think that there are things he could do differently, however, to improve the situation. For one thing, I liked that at the Pier show he jumped down from the stage. When you're further separated by the crowd due to larger space, breaking the fourth wall (literally) is a great way to enhance the experience.

I think that he should start crowdsurfing. That's being done a lot more recently with big indie acts such as St. Vincent, Sleigh Bells, and Crystal Castles. Luckily for John, he is not an attractive female and probably wouldn't have as much trouble as they do. During one of his more intense (as wells as crowd pleasing) songs, such as Rights For Gays, would be great. Any other ideas of good choices of song to crowdsurf to? Castles In the Grave would probly work too.

Finally, if he continues to do fests he should probably get some kind of other stuff on stage with him, like interesting lights, fog machines, screens behind him. I know that glamorizing it is probably against what he's going for, but it's just not the same experience at these big events. I also don't like that he has to do fests in the daytime. Meh. I don't really like these solutions myself.

Crowd surfing though. Something to consider.
possiblegrenade
country maus

Next

Return to Shows