Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:47 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

That's precisely why I was certain I'd remember Just Wait Till Next Year: it's one of my absolute favorites. I am 100% sure he played Do Your Best, however, as I tried to video it and it didn't come out (aggh)!
Someone planning to put a pair of Air Maus shoes on eBay, probably. :limpyroll: That's a bit embarrassing for the rest of the fans. He wasn't in stocking feet in the street so he must have got them back in the end. Good thing, too, because I don't think the shops would have been open!
Hope you like the review when you get to it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 am 
anonymaus

Here's a review of the Oya Festival show in Oslo from The Quietus, pretty much stating that John Maus was the best thing, ever. Nice headline photo, too!

http://thequietus.com/articles/09826-oy ... tone-roses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:21 pm 
anonymaus

LadyLazarus wrote:
Well here it is on blogspot: http://blowinginthemind1.blogspot.co.uk ... iever.html

Hope you like! :dancparty:
Oh I really love your review LL, yessssssssss!! :nod: (sorry, i just got round to reading it)

I was there and I loved it so so much, to the extent that I'm not sure it has really sunk in until even now...what a time. I was in a bit of daze during and after also, but I am fairly certain he didn't play 'Head for the Country', that he did play 'Do Your Best' and that I would have noticed if 'Just Wait til Next Year' had happened cos I love it so much - or maybe I'm just trying to be retrospectively unbummed that I don't remember it by lying to myself? And I loved that he played All Aboard!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:14 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Glad you liked the review! It's a shame I didn't know there were other mausspacers in the house: I would have bought you a drink! I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the most thrilling event of my life. Getting to meet John and chat to him a little bit just took it over the top. I'm not sure if he did "Head for the Country" or not now (can't find an official setlist anywhere, either), but like you I'm certain of "Do Your Best" and I would have remembered "Just Wait Til Next Year" for the same reason! I was so excited I can hear myself screaming in my own videos haha. I keep saying this, but I desperately wish there had been more than one UK gig. I missed out last year when he had three gigs in just London. It torments me! I sincerely hope John doesn't disappear off the map now for several years. I could console myself if I knew he was working on new music, but I'm selfish and don't want to lose him to academia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:35 pm 
anonymaus

Yeah, it is such a shame, my fault really for not checking mausspace properly before London. I also missed him play 3 times in 2011 when he played EXACTLY where I was then living or visiting family or going for a conference, and each time I missed him by a DAY :headslap: and I still sometimes think of that, those dates are going on my first time-machine test-drive list, for sure. Needless to say next time anything happens in the UK, we just go go go. Although I do also get this weird feeling in my stomach that there will be some sort of long silence - I'm doubly selfish in that I am of this wretched academia and I don't want to lose him on either front, ever, he is badly needed. I'm right there with you, I've got nothing really to compare that night to, apart from maybe the other time I saw him a few days before at wastelands (but I totally failed there, long story). Still. There's the thrill and then there's the chill, a 'wtf' over everything afterward. Things changed, man. Things changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
john everymaus

http://pitchfork.com/features/guest-lis ... rownstein/

Scroll to "Last Great Concert I Saw."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
little maus on the prairie

Awesome.

"It was brand new to me and it gave me the feeling that people can still make great things-- it gave me faith in people who put on shows."

That's exactly how I feel about his shows and music.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 am 
john everymaus

Considering they're also fans of Ariel Pink (I saw a list in which Fred Armisen put Mature Themes as one of his favorites of this year's releases) I'd say it isn't ridiculous that Ariel or John could end up on Portlandia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:35 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

That would be great for publicity. I finally watched an episode of it and wasn't impressed. They could make it funnier :arms:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 pm 
john everymaus

The skits are pretty hit or miss.