Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:56 pm 
anonymaus

From 20jazzfunkgreats website. I won't keep sending these but I was kind of excited to see two good reviews :). mamamaus

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:13 am
Flying through heaven and hell with you

‘Sorcery and sanctity’ said Ambrose, ‘these are the only realities. Each is an Ecstasy, a withdrawal from the common life’.

Arthur Machen is the man.

Last Friday’s Upset the Rhythm shindig was fantastic, all the bands were in a hyper-celebratory mood and the outcome was an uplifting Christmasy celebration featuring a good-vibes stage invasion during the banging No Age set, Gay Against You reaching a verbal agreement with the audience (’trust gig’!) and showing us how to wear a hoodie (and black leotards), and a high-five merry-go-round organised by the one and only Dan Deacon, massive kudos, as always, to Chris and Claire for pushing things forward, outwards and inwards so they become ever so touching, as some drunk gal told Scottish Andy and me while we were smoking a cigarette outside, ‘this scene is so different from the indie stuff I used to be into, you know, the Libertines and all of that, I was there in Candem at the beginning but now I’m fed up with it’, we didn’t know what to say, gosh, she must feel like one of these people who, after a plane crash in some derelict area, has to fight with other survivors for the right to feed on the corpses of those who died, after which ordeal is rescued by a helicopter and comes back to civilisation with renewed faith in mankind, to try again, you know, like a scene version of Mr. Scrooge or something.

Anyway, the lovely London Dome had a Christmas grotto on one side and that’s where Haunted Graffiti & Panda Bear associate John Maus spread his arms in the darkness like some sort of skeletal bird carrying Ian Curtis eternal soul, and twitched to the strangely danceable melodies of his absolutely gobsmacking new album, ‘Love is Real’ (best artwork of the year by the way), now, really, you have to check this guy out, he sounds like an oddball Gothic version of Stephen Merrit totally overdosed on Wendy Carlos and early Jarre and I’m only starting to scratch the surface of the colossal sonic cathedral he’s built, roam its halls and enjoy the glorious interplay of light and shadows reverberating through the stained glass windows, while an eerily beautiful funereal march made for people who die in love pounds mighty, that’s where it’s at, Love is Real indeed, and we’re feeling it.

Probably the last addition to our albums of the year collection kids, get on with it and get it, UTR rule.

John Maus- My Whole World is Coming Apart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:06 pm 

here's a little last.fm review for the dec 5 london show:
theneonfever wrote:
I was way too uncool to have known who John Maus was pre-gig, but his performance under the eaves of Santa's grotto lit only by a string of Woolworth's best Xmas lights was otherworldly - where that world exists in a cavernous black club in North London, with only lo-fi electronics and an echoing vocal narrative to keep you warm. I do like that one of his tags is sounds even better when drunk 'cause OK I took my chances at the bar during his set.
http://www.last.fm/user/theneonfever/jo ... 10/595188/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:02 pm 
john everymaus

jessi wrote:
mamamaus wrote:
“At that point though some of the ceiling came down just as he was unleashing this beast of a scream and all that was left was a massive plume of dust and a bunch of rubble on the ground.
|:o
Oh wow!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:51 am 
anonymaus

that's really fantastic. i want to see him so badly :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:55 am 
mausketeer

Same!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 pm 
anonymaus

omg, lol @ the ceiling coming down during the scream!!!! That scream always gives me a start when I'm listening to the album on headphones, I can only imagine what it does to a ceiling in real life. Haha!

mama, please tell john to come to new york too! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:18 pm 
mausterious

Oooh! I found two people commenting on his Blackpool show. These guys didn't know anything of John Maus until he agreed to play in Blackpool.

First review is hilarious.
Quote:
JOHN MAUS is the famous guy from the US who topped the bill here really, although his set came midway. I'd heard his music online and thought this is the worst shit I've ever heard, some kind of vile mix of synthesiser pop and prog rock with New Age lyrics! Then live it makes huge sense to see him jumping about and the music at ENORMOUS distorted volume (my ears still ringing) - people cracking up continually as it was basically very odd and funny in a kind of creepy way...his fans mouthing along to every word at the front were even stranger. I guess it reminded me a lot of Andrew WK's attitude - a kind of wilful, obtuse, grating approach - but by the last song (a catchy thing about 'taking someone's hand in the cold dark city' I think) you are into it with no irony, punching the air along with him...what a performer!
Quote:
It was a massively enjoyable night, and hard to fault anyone that played, particular highlights for me were moments of Ray Speedway, where things sounded like tape loops of random noise/samples, John Maus' strange, muffled, echoing vocals over some seriously catchy and well produced electronic tracks & his groundshakingly flailing/spasming dance moves, and the Hobs truly coming into their stride on a track with the lyrics "explosion in a dustbin factory" in it, a brilliant track that seemed to make everything before and after it make sense, strangely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 pm 
anonymaus

What a brilliant gig & what lovely chap! I hope we get to see him play again one day :dancparty: Was a real shame the sound lady thought there wasn't enough time for an encore :headslap:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the CD yet as Clancy (the birthday girl) stole it off me before I'd even managed to open it & have a look :silly:

my party pics http://flickr.com/photos/cazfisher/

a few more http://flickr.com/photos/sparkles/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 pm 
mausterious

Another message I received!
Quote:
John Maus - what can I say?! The man is a one-off and I'd definitely see him again when I get the chance. I really didn't know what to expect from his live shows - at first I thought the humour of his stuff was just me being weird after listening to him on the net. But his show just blew me away - a very unique and unusual performance.
Big in Blackpool :silly:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:10 pm 
mausketeer

Awesome! I'm glad things were so successful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 pm 
anonymaus

dean wrote:
Another message I received!
Quote:
John Maus - what can I say?! The man is a one-off and I'd definitely see him again when I get the chance. I really didn't know what to expect from his live shows - at first I thought the humour of his stuff was just me being weird after listening to him on the net. But his show just blew me away - a very unique and unusual performance.
Big in Blackpool :silly:
Who sent that one Deany? Seems almost everybody really loved the Maus! I've only heard of one person who said 'it wasn't their cup of tea' which is hardly a critism :dancparty:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 pm 
mausterious

That was from Kate :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 am 
anonymaus

Another review from the Blackpool gig 8D
Quote:
Thank you very much for getting him! He seems to convert people during the live shows, honestly his music didn't make sense to me til I saw him live...now I love it. One of the more interesting acts ever to visit Blackpool for sure.
:float:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:31 am 
john everymaus

found some more pics on flickr. not sure which show these are from
http://flickr.com/photos/musicstripper/tags/johnmaus/
i love this one:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:40 pm 
mausterious

Caz wrote:
Another review from the Blackpool gig 8D
Quote:
Thank you very much for getting him! He seems to convert people during the live shows, honestly his music didn't make sense to me til I saw him live...now I love it. One of the more interesting acts ever to visit Blackpool for sure.
:float:
Who said that?