Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:11 pm 
anonymaus

How are the shows? Good? Not so good? Please post reviews. How is my boy doing? Mamamaus needs to know. :roll: Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:43 pm 
mausterious

I know that a few people have been to see the shows. I won't see him until the 15th, but there are some pictures and videos if you haven't seen...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97793800@N ... /johnmaus/ - Pictures from the London dates on the 5th and 7th

http://www.youtube.com/user/adra - Videos from the show on the 5th. I believe Adri will be putting up videos from the 7th too.

I'll let the people who've seen him say how it was!! :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 pm 
anonymaus

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:22 pm 

i think adri and coquiotes and liam really enjoyed the shows ! :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:36 pm 
john everymaus

YES! The shows are EXCELLENT and John is very nice. Coki and I were only going to see him twice, but we just changed our flight to be able to see him a third time in Blackpool.
:victory: :victory: :victory: :victory: :victory:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:26 pm 
anonymaus

Not only was he very sweet (well done, Mamamaus! :wave: ), he seemed to put a lot of energy into his performance, and even took requests! The people around us were also dancing & having a great time. The shirts were just magical. I hope he's enjoyed touring so far.

Coki :float:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:55 pm 
anonymaus

I'm sure he is enjoying himself if you are! Thanks for letting me know. And about those receipts (another thread) -I'll bet he has to keep them for anything he sells to turn in to UTR but you will have to ask him if it has a deeper meaning when you speak with him. You all are the BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:03 pm 
little maus on the prairie

will you get him to play in la so i can review him PLEASE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:49 am 
anonymaus

I'll tell him at Christmas!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 am 

ok!
you're the best mamamaus 8D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 am 

also ask him not make it on a school night :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:19 am 
mausterious

hahaha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:29 am 

I really enjoyed the gig on the 5th, it was so enjoyable hearing the music coming across so loudly and clearly and seeing all these people dancing to it and seeing JM perform so passionately. My only regret was that I was pretty drunk by the time he came on :mixedemotions: Which made me more susceptible to dancing and singing along, which is fun, but I wish I'd been a bit clearer-headed and so could have appreciated it all more. My plan for the 15th definitely involves pacing myself better this time

From a technical point of view I liked the combination of backing tracks with live voice, I thought it worked well, though the downside was that when he started having some trouble with the machine there didn't seem to be much he could do and that seemed to get him pretty frustrated

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 pm 
anonymaus

Drowned in Sound Review of Sheffield show--whoops! I hope he gets his voice back for the show on the 15th. Maybe it was just the plaster dust? :lol:

John Maus takes the roof off Sheffield venue as he gears up for UTR Christmas show with Gowns8 votes ? by Kev Kharas Artists: John Maus, Gossamer Albatross, Gowns
Words: Kev Kharas "John Maus is a maniac on a bloody crusade; a tortured evangelist on a mercenary quest to rid our world of villainous defilers of The Gospel of True Love.”

Ariel Pink seems to have the inside line on band-mate and friend John Maus. Appearing recently in Sheffield, Maus did a let’s-not-go-there-again as his vicious howl, presumably the one lurking on recent album track ‘Too Much Money’, caused the venue's roof to cave in.

Maus’s feat at the Shakespeare was witnessed and is recalled below by DiS user Lewis Gordon, whose Gossamer Albatross were also on the bill along with Held By Hands:

“Basically his live show consisted of him dancing like an absolute nutjob and warbling into his mic that was put through a delay box. It was kinda creepy weird synth pop but really cool.

“Anyway at the end of his set he unleashed this monumental scream right in front of the first row of people. Geena, our cellist was quite frightened.

“At that point though some of the ceiling came down just as he was unleashing this beast of a scream and all that was left was a massive plume of dust and a bunch of rubble on the ground. Then the venue got arsey and he finished his set.

“It was fucking awesome. Oh, and he'd lost his voice.”

Maus, as well as fellow Upset the Rhythm cohorts Gowns, have tour dates outstanding in the lead-up to the ace-face label’s Christmas party at Gramaphone in London on Monday (17 Dec).

Get tickets for that show, which also features Brighton’s fantastic the Sticks, here for a fiver. Otherwise, there are dual itineraries - check below:

John Maus:
December
12 Manchester KRO Bar
13 Glasgow 13th Note
15 Blackpool Riff’s
16 Brighton Westhill Community Centre
17 London Gramaphone (UTR Xmas Party)

Gowns:
December
12 Leeds Common Place
13 Glasgow 13th Note
14 Brighton Greenhouse Effect
15 London Old Operating Theatre
17 London Gramaphone (UTR Xmas Party)

Read our recent review of Maus’s Love Is Real longplayer here. We put the question again - is John Maus a divine entity?

Got news? Email us at newsdesk@drownedinsound.com for back slaps and a credit... Subject:

Reply:

vote?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm 

mamamaus wrote:
“At that point though some of the ceiling came down just as he was unleashing this beast of a scream and all that was left was a massive plume of dust and a bunch of rubble on the ground.
|:o