Reviews

Discuss previous and upcoming shows here.

Re: Reviews

Postby palmsvoice » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 pm

MadamAnt wrote:
palmsvoice wrote:(I think that's the intro to Castles in the Grave at the end there, is that the first live performance of the song? :))

He opened the Hudson River Park show in NYC earlier in July with Castles In the Grave. :)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151107449798000

You can also watch some other clips of mine in the videos thread!

Great videos! John looks so funny in that Castles in the Grave video, it's like he's a bit confused and intimidated by the size of the crowd and of the space, like he's worried that he can't handle it. But I've read nothing but positive reviews of the show. :) Though that Believer video had me worried, it's almost as he's on the verge of having a heart attack, I wonder if he would agree to do a show with medical monitors attached to him, I'm sure the results would be interesting. I really think he's pushing himself too far sometimes, he just gets me worried. Also, there's this video of ...And The Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUZBZBJmbA He complains about something in the beginning, and ends with "This is work, man!" I don't know what was that about, maybe he felt like he couldn't pull it off?

Thanks LL, I'll be anticipating your review. :D
palmsvoice
anonymaus

Postby MadamAnt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Ooh, thanks for that - there were gaps in my memory and I was wondering if he had played "And the Rain" or not! I know he wasn't really comfortable doing a big show like that on such a vertiginous stage and probably found it frustrating trying to gauge whether he was connecting with people in the way that he wanted. Loved it when he climbed down and hopped along in front of the barriers for that reason!
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby FawkesDebord » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

At the show in Norway last Thursday he didn't say much. He just went on stage, did his thing and went off 28 minutes or so later.
The audience seemed divided. Especially the ones who were standing in the back of the crowd seemed to not like it. There were a bunch of people in the front (including me) who got very involved. Many negative Twitterers, but most reviews I've read were very positive.
And I only got to take pictures with phone before it died, and they're both ruined by the photographers who were blocking my view.

LadyLazarus wrote:Although I felt in a complete daze when the set finished, like waking up from a very vivid, violently exuberating dream.

This describes exactly what I felt like afterwards too.
FawkesDebord
anonymaus

Postby MadamAnt » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 am

The Scala show has now been reviewed in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/au ... aus-review

I think they have far too much concern for the subtext over the actual experience in the write-up, but at least they liked it! A lot of it seems to be recycled quotations from the earlier Guardian piece on JM, with a brief couple of lines at the end about the gig.

EDIT: Also - again they say it was a 45 minute set?
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby LadyLazarus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm

New review of The Scala show. I love the story about the ceiling collapsing at Sheffield 2007. There was a similar 'hardcore' moment in London where a crazed fan rushed the stage (after many attempts from the rest of the audience to restrain her!) and John didn't even appear to notice, just kept his head down until finally she dove off the front.
http://poppycockburn.tumblr.com/post/29511460054/john-maus-live-the-scala-14-08-12
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby LadyLazarus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Just had a reply from Chris via Upset the Rhythm on Facebook and he gives the Scala setlist as this:
Whole World Is Coming Apart
Castles In the Grave
Maniac
Rights For Gays
Keep Pushing On
And The Rain
Head For The Country
Crucifix
All Aboard
Just Wait Til Next Year
Streetlight
Believer

Although he definitely did Do Your Best and I'm not so sure about Just Wait Til Next Year.
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby pelleasetmelisande » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Wait, he played "Head for the Country?" Has he ever played that one live before, or does he usually? I feel like I've never seen that one done. Am I hallucinating?
pelleasetmelisande
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

pelleasetmelisande wrote:Wait, he played "Head for the Country?" Has he ever played that one live before, or does he usually? I feel like I've never seen that one done. Am I hallucinating?

You may be right there, P&M. When I talked to him before the show he said: "I'm gonna try something different this time. I hope you like it!" :D
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby LadyLazarus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:16 am

Got my (very long) review all written up. Now I'm just struggling to blog it properly as I am a tumblr and blogspot newbie and have no idea how to format anything. :shock:
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby LadyLazarus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 am

LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby AppTrans » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 pm

I loved your review LL! You're such a committed fan and a great friend to this community. :happy:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby LadyLazarus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 pm

:kiss:
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby possiblegrenade » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 am

pelleasetmelisande wrote:Wait, he played "Head for the Country?" Has he ever played that one live before, or does he usually? I feel like I've never seen that one done. Am I hallucinating?

Was thinking the same thing. I really want to see that one live, the climax of that song is incredible.
possiblegrenade
country maus

Postby IrisSala » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 pm

LadyLazarus wrote:Just had a reply from Chris via Upset the Rhythm on Facebook and he gives the Scala setlist as this:
Whole World Is Coming Apart
Castles In the Grave
Maniac
Rights For Gays
Keep Pushing On
And The Rain
Head For The Country
Crucifix
All Aboard
Just Wait Til Next Year
Streetlight
Believer

Although he definitely did Do Your Best and I'm not so sure about Just Wait Til Next Year.

Thanks for the set list - I'm fairly certain he played Just Wait Til Next Year because it's one of my favourites - I don't remember Head For The Country, but then my brain was in a different gear and afterwards I couldn't remember half of what I'd actually heard! Thanks for the video clips as well, takes me right back. What a night...
IrisSala
anonymaus

Postby IrisSala » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:22 pm

LadyLazarus wrote:
John took his shoes off because he very nearly fell over a few times (the stage was a bit sticky with spilled beer!). Was great seeing him hop around like a madman in stocking feet.
I'm going to write a full review later, but in short: BEST NIGHT EVER.

There were a couple of guys trying to steal his shoes when he left them on stage after the gig, but one of the promoters/DJs [?] rescued them so I trust he got them back :)
:wave: Hey LL, can't open your review for some reason but I'll try again tomorrow, really looking forward to it!
IrisSala
anonymaus

PreviousNext

Return to Shows