Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:44 pm 
john everymaus

The following lyrics are unofficial and may contain errors. Discuss changes, corrections and interpretations below.

Don't Worship the Devil

don't worship the devil
don't!
don't let your mouth become an open grave

don't worship the devil
don't!

my lies, my pride, my selfishness
sing past the word
i am a new creation

i suffered, i killed,
i swore for him

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:42 pm 
anonymaus

hi, i just heard Love Is Real a few days ago and it has been blowing me away each time i listen to it. i was not expecting this cheesy-seeming music to be so powerful. but it is, to me. i personally think Maus made this album about love and God. whether or not that's true, i have no idea. but that's nonetheless the empowering meaning i get out of the album. i don't know anything about Maus and haven't listened to Arial Pink. if anyone has any insights into who Maus is and where he's coming from, i'd love to hear them.

as for "Don't Worship the Devil." long story short, i was reading some of the psalms out of the Bible earlier today and i came upon this passage:

Psalm 5:9

Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with destruction.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongue they speak deceit.

This passage is referring to sinners who don't love or live in God. So i suggest that the line "Don't let your mouth become an old grave" should be changed to "Don't let your mouth become an open grave." and if you listen to the song, it actually sounds like he's saying "open" rather than "old."

Peace everyone.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 am 
john everymaus

definitely open grave
thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 pm 
anonymaus

:666:

Last edited by humblehumbug on Fri May 09, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:51 am 
mausketeer

could be that WMP thought the song was by that artist, or the soulseek person tagged it wrong. I'd hardly expect WMP to have John Maus in their database at this point

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 am 
spambot
spambot

Лучший сайт валюты ММПОРГ называется ГЕЙМТОРГ! wow, world of warcraft, everquest 2, eve, Eve online, Everquest 2, wow прокачка

Появились все евро сервера и сервера Age of Conan в продаже. Цена 15$/1000 или 350 рублей за все редкией сервера. В Age of Conan цена договрная. По цене всегда договоримся!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:20 am 

abcd652, your lyrics submissions are completely incorrect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:48 am 
little maus on the prairie

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:26 pm 
anonymaus

I'd hardly expect WMP to have John Maus in their database at this point...Web Application Mania

Last edited by Diddy32 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:14 am 
anonymaus

One of my favourite lyrics

You need mobile phone signal booster for your company

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:57 am 
anonymaus

Silent Chorus wrote:
Psalm 5:9

Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with destruction.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongue they speak deceit.

This passage is referring to sinners who don't love or live in God. So i suggest that the line "Don't let your mouth become an old grave" should be changed to "Don't let your mouth become an open grave." and if you listen to the song, it actually sounds like he's saying "open" rather than "old."

Peace everyone.

Jason
Well, my take on this situation is... I do not think John Maus is interested at all in "sinners who don't love or live in God" or in considering this concept a viable way to view the world. Interpreting JM is not an easy task, and I am one brain, but based off his beautiful catalogue and distinct existential, "beyond good and evil" approach, when biblical terminology is used JM is not holding the view as a believer in the dogma enforced by the religious corporations that have taken possession of said texts.

Fortunately, the Old Testament in particular, is a beautiful, complex compilation that folk from all corners may embrace for their subjective edification.

Even though Don't Worship the Devil doesn't elaborate much lyric wise, you can definitely draw conclusions that are not related to any dogmatic, collective mentality. JM (and Ariel Pink for that matter) writes, sings, performs from a place very opposing to the conventions of pop culture (anywhere from music to organized religion). And that is a key to JM's music and why it is so affecting, the paradox of religious/pop melodies, drum machine, synth organ, fused with a deep current of chaotic, sensual, amoral, counter-moral... (etc) psychology.

"Don't worship the devil", the line in the song, is not uttered from a literal, traditional, dogmatic perspective, but from what the devil represents in our psychology as a symbol, first how it's kind of hilarious people's fear of this devil and demons (not to say spiritual forces do not exist, only that spiritual forces do not adhere to ideas proposed by a specific religion) and this is often self-inflicted, second as the vices and detriments to our personal being and community and that to engage in these destructive behaviors can undermine our character and relationships. To go so far as calling one a sinner and the other a saint is impossible without including that the saint is also a sinner, and the sinner at times a saint.

"Don't let your mouth become an open grave" - thanks for providing the lovely reference from Psalms. It is difficult to say much and be conclusive.