Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Noisey interview.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 am 
little maus on the prairie

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/g ... -the-world

Post subject: Re: Noisey interview.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 am 
hippopotamaus

Thanks, dude!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 am 
little maus on the prairie

MausterofDisguise wrote: *
Thanks, dude!
No problem. Good read heh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:10 am 
hippopotamaus

Yes! JM interviews are always edifying. He’s always candid. I’m too tired these days to search for Ariel/John interviews so you’ve made it that much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm 
john everymaus

I prefer the video interviews... sometimes JM interviews are hard to read. I can't picture the manner in which he's speaking and emphasizing certain things. For some of these answers I'm not sure if it's due to editing, but I can't quite follow his train of thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 pm 
anonymaus

It's a good read and yes I agree I prefer the video interviews. But in one week the ugly discourse has descended upon both John and Ariel. So this interview left me feeling strangely depressed. Like, half the runtime is given to justifying a brief collaboration with someone who turned out to be a prick. It could easily be read as John being a victim of his own trusting nature. But here his words, which are usually interestingly digressive and dense, don't seem sufficient. Probably because no words are sufficient when this contemporary malaise occurs.

Reading the tea leaves further, in a more cynical and depressed way - there is almost no doubt that if the hitpiece being written on Ariel finds its mark (the one on Anthony Fantano was easily unpicked, but Fantano is a natural combatant, whereas Ariel seems like he'd rather just be left alone) John will be asked to justify his ongoing friendship with Ariel. I'm not even an especially huge Ariel fan as it goes, and if he has been doing inappropriate things then he should probably be met with some opposition.

But you can sort of see how the future hitpiece against Maus goes - he consorted with a neo-Nazi, he consorted with an abuser, he wrote a song that seemed to mock the idea of rights for gays, he appropriated Molly Nilsson's work and made money off it. The era of Butlerian 'play' and testing the limits of the public conversation are dead. If you leave yourself vulnerable you can be shot dead. And John and his music are incredibly vulnerable to that kind of unpacking.

On the flip he seems well armoured against the slings and arrows. And his place in the pecking order of things is relatively low. But it is set to grow with this record and toue. And I just don't want to have to get to a stage where someone flips through my records and says "John Maus...isn't he that guy...[insert accusation]?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:58 pm 
john everymaus

Gibby wrote: *
On the flip he seems well armoured against the slings and arrows. And his place in the pecking order of things is relatively low.
This is also what I was thinking. I believe he'll be alright, and hopefully only take part in the press that wants to discuss the music. My take away from this Noisey interview is he got involved with something because he likes Adult Swim and TV in general, and was ignorant to the alt right connection. It's not like he sought out Nazi tv shows... but I guess that makes for a better headline. :headscratch:

:rage:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am 
anonymaus

he wrote a song that seemed to mock the idea of rights for gays,
John has said in interviews that he is against Human Rights (and he was talking in relation 2 Rights for Gays) from a Marxist perspective that it gives societies of control further control over bodies and leads to western countries invading in the name of "Human Rights".
No doubt someone's going to use this in a hitpiece

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 am 
anonymaus

But you can sort of see how the future hitpiece against Maus goes - he consorted with a neo-Nazi, he consorted with an abuser, he wrote a song that seemed to mock the idea of rights for gays, he appropriated Molly Nilsson's work and made money off it. The era of Butlerian 'play' and testing the limits of the public conversation are dead. If you leave yourself vulnerable you can be shot dead. And John and his music are incredibly vulnerable to that kind of unpacking.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... ies-review

hate being right