Re: John Maus collage (kinda NSFW)

Postby AppTrans » Tue May 29, 2012 3:52 pm

A+++
You should be making album covers. You're too good |:o
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby Eugenia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

I found a picture of John with low quality online, and I thought to myself, "That's no condition to be in, I should restore it". So I gave it my best shot.

(Just some harmless fun btw, I mean no disrespect to anyone)

Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 pm

LOL It's the Beast-John Restoration Society! :lol:
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby MadamAnt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 pm

LOL Beast John, I love it!
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby AppTrans » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:04 am

Brundlefly?
:delaware:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby Eugenia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:08 am

For those not familiar with the now very popular meme: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/world ... spain.html ;-)
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby AppTrans » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:10 am

John is Christ!!! Good thinking Eugenia! always love to see your posts :kiss:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby Eugenia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 am

Printable up to 12"x18". Click the image to get the high-res version.

Title: "Live Deconstruction"
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 am

I am in love with this, Eugenia. Will have to print it and get it hung up in my house!

As someone very interested in art, I'm curious to know how you make these incredible collages. (Without giving away all your secrets) Is there a particular software you use? Some of your work recalls that of Linda Sterling (and I'm a huge admirer, so that is a massive compliment coming from me).
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby Eugenia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 am

Thank you so much LadyLazarus, you're very kind! Do you have access to a large photo printer? This prints nicely on a 13".

This all started off as a hobby, but it has kind of exploded on TumblR. I was featured twice on the TumblR Radar, which is staff's "pick of the day" thing, and after that I got requests for interviews, and even for a gallery exhibition. It all started with the animated video I made for John -- collages were just a natural progression from it. I've made about 100 collages so far, in various meta-modern/dada styles: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eugenia_lo ... 545367662/

I don't like keeping secrets about things like that, so I have written a tutorial on how I make them: http://www.osnews.com/story/26026/A_wal ... l_collages
If you're interested in picking up the hobby as I did, I would be very happy to help you step-by-step via IM.
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby LadyLazarus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 am

I haven't got a large photo printer here, but I'm sure I could get myself to a print shop and have a really nice one done.
How exciting (and well deserved) to be recognised for the quality work you do. Did you ever have a gallery exhibition? The only thing I ever had in a gallery was for a show at college!
I'm sure John Maus would be happy to take the blame (or credit, whatever you wanna call it!) for being such a good muse. I loved your video, too!

Oooo a step-by-step would be brilliant. I have a (useless!) graphic design degree, which I really only took up because I enjoy illustrating so much. Despite being a bit handy with a pen or paint brush (and that is questionable in my mind), I struggled with digital imaging but got into vector drawing later on. I miss my old Adobe CS3 package, though. Will have to get the freeware and have a go!
LadyLazarus
maus is missing

Postby Eugenia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:17 am

Did you ever have a gallery exhibition?

Not yet. Before collages I was only doing video (still do), and before that I was a tech reporter on a big news site. Before that I was a programmer. I think I'm done shuffling jobs for now, artist it is. I don't make much money out of it yet, but it's growing organically so far. For the time being, it remains a hobby that pays for my weekly sushi lunch.

I'm sure John Maus would be happy to take the blame (or credit, whatever you wanna call it!) for being such a good muse.

Not sure. He said he didn't mind me doing these featuring him, but he also doesn't want to be spoiled. I joked that in my next video I will portray him as a super-hero.

I loved your video, too!

Thanks! Since John gave me the semi-go-ahead to create more stuff, I have two music videos on the works. One is a remix of a scary, experimental video shot by another artist, and I think I will take the plunge and do one more animated video. Animation takes a lot of time for me, so it's a big commitment on my part. I'll see what I can do.

I miss my old Adobe CS3 package, though. Will have to get the freeware and have a go!

If you don't have Photoshop you can use the freeware GIMP, but I'm more familiar with Photoshop myself. I don't expect the differences to be big though. We can start any time, just send me an email when you're setup with the graphics editor, and I will hop to IM. My IM & email addresses are listed on my blog.
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby possiblegrenade » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:53 am

That last one was awesome! Love it!
possiblegrenade
country maus

Postby Harry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 am

Hi. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I just created this basic collage as a test and I am a newbie at doing this sorta stuff.
Thought I'd post it here obviously, I don't really go to many other forums- which is why I chose this image so I could post it.
Otherwise why would you be interested?
Wish I could remember where I nicked the image from as the photo is great.
I probably should have removed some of the background. Still learning
anyways...

Harry
little maus on the prairie

Postby Eugenia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 am

A sketch of John I made tonight (I finally got art supplies, meant to do that for a while). I'm not very good at sketching I'm afraid, self-taught and all, I lack technique. Click through for the high-resolution.

Eugenia
anonymaus

PreviousNext

Return to Talk