More John Maus shows

Talk about all things Maus.

More John Maus shows

Postby pelleasetmelisande » Sun May 06, 2012 3:27 am

So -- it looks like there are some more John Maus shows happening this summer -- a festival in Seattle and then a show in NYC with Dan Deacon. Anyone here thinking of going to either one? I'm on the East Coast and was thinking of going to the NYC one -- not terribly far from where I live and I have pals there. I missed when he played in my city last and so regret it. I was really really ill at the time, but I wish I had just sucked it up and gone anyway. I have yet to see John perform live and NEED to, at this point.
pelleasetmelisande
anonymaus

Re: More John Maus shows

Postby AppTrans » Mon May 07, 2012 7:42 pm

You should go. It was a feat of frenzied fun...though it lasted roughly 25 minutes. Definitely worth seeing at least once. If John had an exclusive performance in a honky-tonk in West Virginia, for me, that'd be worth seeing. That'd be the real event.
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby pelleasetmelisande » Tue May 08, 2012 2:54 am

Oh, I don't mind at all if it's one of his short sets. Dude prolly expends the energy of 5 sets during one! I'm in dire need of a more visceral show experience. I really really haven't seen anything in my city that has grabbed me in a really long time, besides some music my friends make. Is that where you are, West Virginia? Where did you see Mr. Maus play?
pelleasetmelisande
anonymaus

Postby lenticular » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 am

Definitely go see Mr. Maus if you have he oppourtunity. I don't think I have ever experienced a performance such as his.
He goes onto another level and exerts the energy of an orchestra. It is as if he enters a different place, its quite an experience.

The only disappointment with his show was the passive crowd. When I saw him, he came out hyping everyone and everyone was cheering
at first but they didn't keep up with his energy through out the show, or they just didn't get it. I was one of the few keeping up with the energy, yelling back and what not.
This was around the time right before We Must Become The Pitiless Censors Of Ourselves came out last year. It was when NPR did an article on him, along with all these
other publications focusing on Maus. This show had a decent amount of press and hype but the crowd still sucked.

The more you cheer on and reciprocate the vibes the better the show will be, so when John yells and notions you to yell back, do it. It will be amazing.
Sure, you can say that about any band and show, but if you have seen Maus live, you will understand what he does.

I'm excited to see him perform again and if he comes by NYC I will most likely go.
lenticular
anonymaus

Postby ricky » Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 am

I saw him 4 times last year. His shows are definitely entertaining and his energy is contagious. Thankfully, the shows at the Echo/Echoplex in LA had a good crowd of people.
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Postby AppTrans » Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

pelleasetmelisande wrote:Oh, I don't mind at all if it's one of his short sets. Dude prolly expends the energy of 5 sets during one! I'm in dire need of a more visceral show experience. I really really haven't seen anything in my city that has grabbed me in a really long time, besides some music my friends make. Is that where you are, West Virginia? Where did you see Mr. Maus play?

No, I live in Central Pennsylvania, which might as well be an extension of WV. Degenerative mountain people!
I saw him in Philly back in July 2011. It was a sort of a 4th bash, but it was really my only chance to see him. I believe Diplo was there for a DJ set. The element was a bit disconcerting, but John and Geneva naturally saved the evening!
I'll only see John again if the show is exclusively for him or his truest music buddies. I hope you enjoy his performance if you decide to go!
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby pelleasetmelisande » Sun May 13, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks, everyone for your perspective, and especially the reports of how the shows are. I imagine seeing a NYC show might contain one of the best possible chances for actual enthusiasm, maybe outside of the UK, where, it's my impression John is especially popular. Actually, I had a friend who went to the show I missed in my city and she said at first she was TERRIFIED of John Maus and his performance (LOL) and didn't really know how to react or interpret what she was seeing. She wasn't really that familiar with his music, but then after awhile, she said she sort of, as she put it, "just GOT it," and got REALLY into his performance and is now a giant fan.

The city I live in is sort of stodgy and reserved, or maybe everyone's just sorta shy. I think the reaction to John's performance here was a good one, or so I had read, but I hope he doesn't interpret people's lack of reaction to any sort of inability of his to communicate. I think it can be hard to rile up a crowd who may be more reserved, or more hesitant or whatever to shed that veil of self-conscious self-monitoring. In NYC, I feel like people maybe let themselves feel/react more boisteriously, perhaps? I dunno. I'm fucking going. If any of you end up going, too, lemme know!
pelleasetmelisande
anonymaus

Postby MadamAnt » Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 am

Nothing is going to stop me getting to the NYC show, so I'll be there!
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby AppTrans » Thu May 24, 2012 2:42 pm

John's also playing in Siberia :headscratch:
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby pdouspensky » Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 pm

he's also playing "musicfest nw" in portland, oregon in september. hope he actually does some non-festival shows during these trips to the northwest...can't really afford to pay for an $85 pass to capitol hill block party to see a bunch of shit bands and then john.
pdouspensky
anonymaus

Postby Eugenia » Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 am

There are at least another 5 bands in the lineup that are good. Check out "The Soft Moon" and the "Trust". Both bands share with John a certain synthpop-darkness, stylistically.
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby AppTrans » Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm

John's playing in Greenland later this year, so watch out Greenlanders!
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby Eugenia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Unofficial, fan-made, promo flyer for John Maus’ festival/live appearances this summer. I realize that the design is a bit tacky btw, but my hope is to raise the interest of those who are going to attend these festivals, but don't know John's music yet. Hopefully, this over-the-top illustration will make the most curious attendees to seek him out. Click through for the large version.

Title: "John Maus, Fighting Inhumanity"
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby Eugenia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am

This is supposed to be a mythical dragon btw (symbolizing inhumanity), not an alligator. I love all animals! :blush:
Eugenia
anonymaus

Postby ricky » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:08 am

He is also playing July 14th in San Diego, CA. I'll be at that show.

Slightly off-topic but I was watching this video and was surprised when I heard Believer being used for their show's finale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4I2KiNnGo&t=2m5s
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Next

Return to Talk