Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 21 22 »
 Post subject: Re: introduce yourself !
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:31 am 
pokémauster

LadyLazarus wrote:
Hi Steve and welcome to the Maushaus! :wave:

I think it's great that you discovered Ariel via R. Stevie and not vice versa, as is probably the case with most of us here. Personally, I was listening to Ariel for a few years but never delved too much until I heard John Maus in a completely separate context, promptly became obsessed, then traced back through all of Ariel's work out of added interest. My sister and I are always talking about how John and Ariel's music is so comparatively disparate in spite of them each seeking the same element of 'truth' through pop music. Ariel's sound is denser, more claustrophobic. John's seems grander, more infinite and close to evoking the divine.

Good choice for your favourite record, too. I don't think anything can knock Tago-Mago out of my Can top spot, though.

Indeed, this place isn't always heaving, but I think that's one of its many good points. There is meaningful discussion (as well as the absurd) and it always makes for interesting reading. I'm continually surprised by the like minds I've found here and made some forever friends out of it.

I would encourage you to post some of your music on these forums as we seem inundated with creative types who are all eager to support each other and give honest opinions.
Thanks for the kind welcome, Lady L. For the record, I think Tago Mago is a classic too.
I may share some of my music on here if the occasion permits, we'll see.
Fully immersing myself in John Maus music these past 24 hours (first time!), by the way. I'm liking this stuff a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am 
city maus

i just realized that i never really introduced myself here but rather just crept into the forum with occasional comments.

anyway, similarly to raregoat i became interested in ariel's work after it was frequently referenced in r. stevie's online presence.
the first rsm album i heard was "what's the point" which has continued to remain my favorite of his.
i hear a lot of PILisms in there which caught my ear, but also the idiosyncrasies in his composition and recording technique which make for a unique listening experience.
so the first ariel album i heard was before today and became instantly hooked the moment i heard "L'estat".
that led to an almost unhealthy obession with his music and pretty much revitalised an appreciation for a single artist's recorded output.
eventually as time bore on, john maus started popping up in the equation when i became more educated into ariel's background.
so i went to youtube as searched his name and watched a live version of "maniac"
bingo! hooked again.
these trails are so much fun to explore.

btw, steve great to see that i'm not the only middle-aged guy on here.
it shows that this music has a broad appeal that transcends mere phases

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
pokémauster

Cool, Harry! It is nice to see another Elder Statesman of Rock on here ("middle aged"? ack.).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:50 am 
anonymaus

HELLO

I am Pippin, nice to meet you all

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:05 am 
anonymaus

Hi. I am Leslie. I like to record lo-fi music. John Maus has been a great inspiration to the way I sing since 2006. His baritone combined with that slight absurdity showed me an interesting way to mix several singing styles and lyrical ideas with a serious philosophical poeticism (different from anything I learned from the old guard). I never even used my naturally lower voice before I heard Maus, and it works well to throw around sometimes. The cloudy synth sounds on "Songs" were the first floor-stare causing sounds I'd heard in years. He is pretty influential as a fellow lo-fi man, but I still haven't learned how to talk. He's also just plain pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Welcome Leslie! Always a pleasure to welcome a fellow Maus admirer, and especially one who also appreciates the discourse surrounding his works. I think we are all forever learning how to talk, and constantly struggling against the inadequacies of language to genuinely reach one another, but I believe that is what music is for, so you are on the right path! If you have any demos, I am sure I'm not the only one here who would be keen to hear them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:30 pm 
hippopotamaus

Can't wait to meet gothbabe420 :666D:
Siriusly, introduce yoself! :happy:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:34 am 
anonymaus

hey there
i'm new to the board.
you can call me plaintiff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:50 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

what if I called you defendant?
jk welcome!
:happy:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:19 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Welcome, Plaintiff!
Aren't we all glad (So Glad) that AP lawsuit is over? :happy:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:31 am 
pokémauster

Plain Tiffs are the best Tiffs. Some people prefer caramel but not I.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:07 am 
anonymaus

nice to meet you guys.
will probably lurk for a while before i begin posting.
looking forward to getting into the site

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:38 pm 
little maus on the prairie

welcome!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:52 pm 
anonymaus

hi everybody! i actually discovered john maus through this site of all things. i was actually scouring the web for positive reviews of the latest ariel pink lp, because a lot of websites were trashing him (i discovered him through a random buy at a record shop, i bought mature themes because i like the cover), and by chance i stumbled upon the discussion about pom pom. after looking through his section of the site, i began to wonder who john maus was, so i logged onto youtube, and by chance one of his songs was in the recommended videos section. it was rights for gays, which i loved(i seem to be rather alone in that opinion) and on a mad impulse, i listened to a good portion of love is real. i ended up buying all of his albums that i could find, and have been listening to them for a while now. i've actually begun seeking out vinyls of his albums (all of them, i just love me some coloured vinyl), so my mania is still in a rather embryonic form. the only other thing i can note is that i'm probably the youngest user of the forums, and that i've got quite the penchant for rambling.

peace all, and hope to see you soon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:24 am 
hippopotamaus

Nice to meetcha :wave:
We encourage rambling here at Maus Space!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 21 22 »