Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: introduce yourself !
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm 
mausterious

We observe, until somebody makes a move.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 am 
anonymaus

Allo my name is Nadia I recently turned 16 and I know this is sacrerelligious on an AP forum, but my favorite band is Animal Collective whom I am seeing in Madison in March 17th. I also really like of Montreal, Chantal Goya, Foxygen Melody's Echo Chamber, and Black Moth Super Rainbow. I sometimes run a fan blog, weneedtotalkaboutezramiller. I adore Nouvelle Vague film with the entirety of my soul; my favorite being Une Femme est Une Femme. I joined this forum because I truly enjoy the energy, art and being that is Ariel Pink. SIDE NOTE: two weeks ago and I suggested the title Lets Build a Campfire There (..."i was sitting by the fire..."), for our school play and now it is our title.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 am 
little maus on the prairie

This is a John Maus forum, but we also adore AP. Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 am 
anonymaus

Oh *insert expletive*! I know that. I joined this from the Ariel Pink art of this forum, and despite knowing that this a Maus forum, I decided to sound idiotic. please forgive me as I leave until no one remembers my name.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 pm 
john everymaus

Don't you dare!

Stay here.

We welcome you with open arms.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 pm 
anonymaus

Hello, my name is Andrew. I've been lurking on here since last august. I'm mainly here because of Ariel. I discovered him in May of 2012, then just kind of dropped him. Then the new album was announced and I started going back and listening to what he has done, I have not stopped since, that's like 9 months!!! so, at that this point, I think I'm obsessed. No, I AM obsessed.
Now here I am, finally signed up and ready to do whatever.
I had the chance to see him back in September in Austin, but sadly was not able to go. I was like 10 minuets from the place!!! I will regret not going forever.
I also told a couple I met at Waterloo recoreds that I was going to see them there. (I hope they weren't wondering where I was...)
Anyway.
Just turned 17 (like the person before me.) and like any person my age I also watch a lot of movies and of course listen to lot's music, right now (besides Ariel) I'm listening to Joy Division, Hella, JEFF the brotherhood, Death Grips, Foxygen, Neil Young, Iceage, Maps and Atlases, Nick Cave... many MANY more.
Also, I'm slowly getting into reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am 
country maus

Hi Andrew - so young! Wish I was aware of half the stuff I'm into now when I was your age...Although saying that (and sounding old in the process), most of my current favorites are relatively new bands. Please enjoy the board as a fully fledged (and hopefully frequent) contributor now that you're done lurking, people are too damn shy on here!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 am 
anonymaus

Thank you!
Well, the internet has helped out quite a bit when it comes to what I know about music :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm 
anonymaus

hello! i'm elisa, i'm sitting on my bed all day and this is my lovely mauspad:

[ img ]

("wo ist die maus?" means "where's the mous.e?" in german)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Hi Elisa and welcome! :wave:
Great mauspad! I'm still hoping some lead will turn up on how I can get an official John Mauspad per Weird Vibes.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Helloooo,

My name's Steve and I'm 43 years old (!), work in healthcare administration in Atlanta, and have a wife and a 7 year old daughter. I'm here because I've been obsessed with Ariel Pink's music for about 2 years now (since picking up a copy of Before Today), and I realized I wanted to try and see if there was a forum around for me to read more about him and his music and just y'know SHARE my own feelings about it and stuff. I've been a music fanatic all my life, have thousands of CDs and records, but Ariel is one of the most amazing artists I've come across in my life, I think. I discovered him by way of R. Stevie Moore's website, as I've been a big fan of his for years.

Can's "Future Days" is my favorite album, so I've used its cover as my avatar. I'm very much into the progressive avant garde thing. In fact, Ariel Pink is so different from my previous listening habits, it really surprised me how much I was taken by it. There's something really special going on there. I have always had a soft spot for absurdly catchy pop hooks, so maybe that's it.

I'm a little ashamed to say I had no idea who John Maus was when I first got here, but I've done some reading since yesterday and now I'm on board with his thing too. I need to get some albums of his soon, sounds like something I'd enjoy.

It seems like there isn't a ton of traffic on this forum, but from what I've read, pretty much everyone seems cool. 8D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Hi Steve and welcome to the Maushaus! :wave:

I think it's great that you discovered Ariel via R. Stevie and not vice versa, as is probably the case with most of us here. Personally, I was listening to Ariel for a few years but never delved too much until I heard John Maus in a completely separate context, promptly became obsessed, then traced back through all of Ariel's work out of added interest. My sister and I are always talking about how John and Ariel's music is so comparatively disparate in spite of them each seeking the same element of 'truth' through pop music. Ariel's sound is denser, more claustrophobic. John's seems grander, more infinite and close to evoking the divine.

Good choice for your favourite record, too. I don't think anything can knock Tago-Mago out of my Can top spot, though.

Indeed, this place isn't always heaving, but I think that's one of its many good points. There is meaningful discussion (as well as the absurd) and it always makes for interesting reading. I'm continually surprised by the like minds I've found here and made some forever friends out of it.

I would encourage you to post some of your music on these forums as we seem inundated with creative types who are all eager to support each other and give honest opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:31 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

LadyLazarus wrote:
Hi Steve and welcome to the Maushaus! :wave:

I think it's great that you discovered Ariel via R. Stevie and not vice versa, as is probably the case with most of us here. Personally, I was listening to Ariel for a few years but never delved too much until I heard John Maus in a completely separate context, promptly became obsessed, then traced back through all of Ariel's work out of added interest. My sister and I are always talking about how John and Ariel's music is so comparatively disparate in spite of them each seeking the same element of 'truth' through pop music. Ariel's sound is denser, more claustrophobic. John's seems grander, more infinite and close to evoking the divine.

Good choice for your favourite record, too. I don't think anything can knock Tago-Mago out of my Can top spot, though.

Indeed, this place isn't always heaving, but I think that's one of its many good points. There is meaningful discussion (as well as the absurd) and it always makes for interesting reading. I'm continually surprised by the like minds I've found here and made some forever friends out of it.

I would encourage you to post some of your music on these forums as we seem inundated with creative types who are all eager to support each other and give honest opinions.
Thanks for the kind welcome, Lady L. For the record, I think Tago Mago is a classic too.
I may share some of my music on here if the occasion permits, we'll see.
Fully immersing myself in John Maus music these past 24 hours (first time!), by the way. I'm liking this stuff a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am 
city maus

i just realized that i never really introduced myself here but rather just crept into the forum with occasional comments.

anyway, similarly to raregoat i became interested in ariel's work after it was frequently referenced in r. stevie's online presence.
the first rsm album i heard was "what's the point" which has continued to remain my favorite of his.
i hear a lot of PILisms in there which caught my ear, but also the idiosyncrasies in his composition and recording technique which make for a unique listening experience.
so the first ariel album i heard was before today and became instantly hooked the moment i heard "L'estat".
that led to an almost unhealthy obession with his music and pretty much revitalised an appreciation for a single artist's recorded output.
eventually as time bore on, john maus started popping up in the equation when i became more educated into ariel's background.
so i went to youtube as searched his name and watched a live version of "maniac"
bingo! hooked again.
these trails are so much fun to explore.

btw, steve great to see that i'm not the only middle-aged guy on here.
it shows that this music has a broad appeal that transcends mere phases

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Cool, Harry! It is nice to see another Elder Statesman of Rock on here ("middle aged"? ack.).