Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: No News is Good News
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:42 pm 
john everymaus

Where do you guys get your news? Not your music news, but like, news about the world?

(please don't say Fox)

Post subject: Re: No News is Good News
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:08 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Good question
Usually avoid it all together but I do hear a good amount through my work... local and global current affairs
I think The Onion does a good job!
Sometimes I read Yahoo news headlines but never click to investigate.
News is important, and I should value it. I'm curious to hear what others have to say :sherlock:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:40 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

sadly

r/conspiracy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:47 pm 
the great maus detective

I don't really seek out news unless I hear about something that I want to know more about, and then I go to various news sites (my local news, CNN.com, The Guardian UK, whatever, depending on the situation).

Lots of things I find out about against my will on Facebook. I think that's one of the worst places to get news, really, because people usually only link stories that have a bias towards whatever political point of view they happen to have, without giving the other side of the story. And then all the comments follow: a) "this is an outrage and bla bla bla I think everyone should bla bla bla generalization black/white bla bla"; or b) attempts to discredit the story, either out of sincere skepticism or out of a desire to appear contrary, edgy, or smart. Most of these people on both sides just read the headline anyway. If you want to be a popular journalist nowadays, you only need to come up with catchy, controversial headlines.

I rarely voice my opinion on world events, not because I wish to avoid arguments (which I do, but that's not the main reason), but because I really think I need to do my homework before I start making strong claims about things. The problem is a) I don't really have enough interest or time to do this research, and b) there are so many news sources now that it's hard to know which ones to believe. I often say that you can adopt any point of view you wish on any topic at all, and if you want, you can find umpteen websites dedicated to providing facts to back up that view. There are a lot of "facts" everywhere - people think they can grab a handful of facts that suit them, and present them as proof that their view is correct, while ignoring (or discrediting) other facts that weaken or disprove their argument. And that's what debate often consists of - one pile of facts versus another pile of facts. Who can take ALL the facts and weigh them against each other? That seems to happen less and less. So I've just taken the pouty route and sat my disillusioned ass in the corner, letting the other people argue over what is "right".

:headscratch:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:36 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

perfect, RG

I'll offer my voice here and there when it comes to the news, but I am anti-myopia and will mostly refrain from conveying what I feel is right or wrong
the human condition won't die until we're eradicated or we eventually cease with human interaction period
the human condition entails conflict, we speak of others with disdain and we gossip...it provides fodder for seemingly substance-oriented conversation
I believe the news amplifies a sort of fear that controls yet divides collective thought, it's a device to make you feel informed...but does it help?
it's not the same as it ever was...though my respect for the news still exists
A bigger ugliness has been slowly unveiled in the last couple decades, how we shamelessly thrive on the tragedies and comedies of fellow humans
Lots of us revel in things that we disagree with, it gives one a sense of identity and even superiority
Facebook is what it says it is: "it's about me"
I like the idea of humility.com as a good, global news source: objectivity at its finest
is it possible? probs not
yep, lots to be torn about
sorry I ramble, got inspired by what RG had to say
:creep:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

i had no idea anybody actually got their news from facebook. i terminated my account back in 2009