Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Pets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:46 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Share pictures of your pets if you got one. If you don't have a pet, post a picture of your ideal animal. That could be an opossum (which are sweet in their awkward way) or a chimp. If you don't like pets, that's too bad.

My dog is a mix of a Corgi and a Jack Russell! She's such a pretty girl! I love her :happy:

[ img ]

Post subject: Re: Pets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 pm 
country maus

Adorable dog, App! :truluv: I'm used to having cats, and ideally I'd love to get one or two soon, but I would almost feel guilty having to keep them indoors (I live on the 6th floor of an apartment building). I know a lot of indoor cats these days live happy and fulfilled lives without really knowing the difference, though. I don't know, I just think if I were a cat, I'd want to be able to go outside and I don't really think it's fair...

Anyway, I also love hippos, so I 'adopted' little Maxie from the Turgwe Hippo Trust in Zimbabwe, which is a great cause not just for hippos but for all the animals living there. They protect and safeguard them during droughts by keeping pools open using pumps, and also have scouts patrolling constantly for snare traps and other poaching activity which puts animals at risk. It's dangerous work and I have tons of respect for them and anyone with that level of passion and commitment to animals.

http://www.savethehippos.com/turgwehippos.html

Not one of those silly corporate sponsored adoption packages where you get a certificate and a cuddly toy, you can actually see the work that's being done and where the money is making a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

hey thank you! I am a sponsor of an ostrich at the Philadelphia Zoo...i have her picture at home :happy:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:30 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Awww lovely pup, App! I have loved animals and grown up with them my whole life. Never was there a period I was without a dog, cat, or entire menagerie of creatures of all sorts.
These are my babies:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I have two mini rex house rabbits called Cooper and Diane (big Twin Peaks geek, me). They live indoors in the front room and are completely litter trained. They are little characters and love to launch themselves onto the sofa with me or, alternatively, grab my sketchbook from under the coffee table, run away with it and try to eat my drawings! Hard to be annoyed when I'm laughing so much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:56 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

They're adorable!!! I used to have a rabbit when i was in college! he was a frequent hopper, very much like this creature :victory:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 am 
country maus

I guess I don't have many pictures of Maxie. I found this one in an old newsletter I have saved, but she's the small calf in the front:

[ img ]

I had to pick her as a replacement for Peaches, the hippo I sponsored for many years who died of a suspected snake bite (on the left in the photo below). Her mother grieved and called for her for several days afterwards. :(

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:00 am 
mausterious

My babies

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:44 pm 
country maus

Oh my, they are gorgeous! :truluv: :truluv: :truluv: Love the little white bib and mittens, and the tortoiseshell one is lovely as well. What are their names?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:01 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Awww sweet little moggies, Dean. :D The black and white one is just exuding cattitude and the tort one looks like it's trying very hard to look deep. Both are very photogenic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:41 pm 
mausterious

Nova's the boy at the back, he's pretty timid with everybody but he totally gets in my face. Echo is my older girl, she came with me from England. She's the matriarch, and Nova pretty much does what she says - the best thing is that they are really close :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

AGGGHH too cute! Love the hippos and cats! I am glad you all posted picksures!
I knew all of you would be animal lovers :truluv:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:37 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

dean wrote:
Nova's the boy at the back, he's pretty timid with everybody but he totally gets in my face. Echo is my older girl, she came with me from England. She's the matriarch, and Nova pretty much does what she says - the best thing is that they are really close :)
Did you have to go through the whole gruelling quarantine process when you brought Echo over? I suspect it's not so bad within the EU, but I looked into some of the policies when I was moving and it was very harsh, particularly with more exotic pets.

Post subject: Pets
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am 
mausterious

Out of the UK is a breeze. Coming into the UK is a whole different story!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Well it's been over four months since I had to put my cat to sleep, and it's still so depressing. I was looking through some pictures, and I love this one:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 pm 
country maus

Beautiful cat. I don't think I ever really get over losing pets, been almost 3 months for me and I still can't bear to talk about it directly or look at photos. My cat had chronic renal failure and they didn't expect her to make it til Christmas 2 YEARS AGO, so I should be grateful for the extra time I've had with her.