Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

you're right but I haven't even started it yet!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:41 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Harry wrote:
AppTrans wrote:

[ img ]
I need dis. I've always thought LA punk was criminally underrepresented. Especially since it was generally much more daring than anything that came out of London and New York combined at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:47 pm 
little maus on the prairie

unfortunately
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
wow, I never realized the extent of abuse he received
what a great writer, btw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:17 am 
mausopatamia

[ img ]
This one's too dense for me but I can't stop reading.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:36 am 
little maus on the prairie

[ img ]
Just starting this series again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I blew through The Wrong Place by Brecht Evens in a little over an hour. It's a dazzlingly colorful graphic novel rendered in watercolor, so wanted to absorb every detail. It really captures the pain and alienation of social interaction, I think.
After I finish Stanislaw Lem's The Star Diaries, I have the complete Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais lined up. Looking forward to some old French poo jokes!
Also acquired one of the earliest-ever printed works by Italian outcast Francesco Colonna: Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, The Strife of Love in a Dream. Probably the most culturally influential work I never heard of until a few weeks ago. Has some pretty sweet woodcuts reproduced in it, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:05 am 
mausopatamia

LadyLazarus wrote:
I have the complete Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais lined up.
I have that one sitting on the shelf as well. I found out that my copy is an old translation, so I'm trying to decide if I should get the recent one since mine was only $2 or 3. I think I'll start that one after the Divine Comedy which should take plenty of time, so it might not be till next year. Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:06 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

MausterofDisguise wrote:
LadyLazarus wrote:
I have the complete Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais lined up.
I have that one sitting on the shelf as well. I found out that my copy is an old translation, so I'm trying to decide if I should get the recent one since mine was only $2 or 3. I think I'll start that one after the Divine Comedy which should take plenty of time, so it might not be till next year. Let us know how it goes!
My copy is an older translation, too. Not the Urquhart/Le Motteux one, but the Cohen version. Translation reviews were somewhat subjective when I was trying to pick which one to get, but seemed the general consensus was that Cohen stayed truest to the spirit of the books (without that stilted, dry tone of the former). I've heard the newer Screech edition modernizes the language to the point of making the narrative 'choppy,' so thought I'd stay with the one that allegedly flows the best. I've never read any of them before, though, so I have no real way of knowing! Was already laughing my ass off looking over the contents page with promising chapters like "How the Lords Kissmyarse and Suckfizzle pleaded before Pantagruel without Advocates," 'To prove that the Codpiece is the principal piece in a Warrior's Armour" and "How Grandgouzier realized Gargantua's marvelous intelligence, by his invention of the Arse-wipe."
Kind of disappointed I couldn't find a copy with Gustave Doré's epic illustrations included, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:53 am 
mausopatamia

I have the Cohen translation as well. Guess I'll stick with it.
Took a break from The Recognitions ( :delaware: ! but good) to read The Loser and Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard. Short, bleak, repetitive monologues by bitter aging men. Recommended if you think that could be interesting. Both books are around 150 small pages, so why not.