Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Books
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
I must confess that I've not read this before!!!
...so, whatcha readin' friends?

Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:19 pm 
john everymaus

It's a great book for sure. I started The Captive Mind by Czeslaw Milosz the other day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:39 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thanks for that PG...toss some more suggestions out this way!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm 
little maus on the prairie

I've tried reading Anti-Oedipus:Capitalism and Schizophrenia by Deleuze and Guattari; I've got the pdf scan if anyone wants it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

travis wrote:
I've tried reading Anti-Oedipus:Capitalism and Schizophrenia by Deleuze and Guattari; I've got the pdf scan if anyone wants it.
That looks like an amazing read; on my list of books to purchase

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Folks, please list some suggestions for American literature.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
anonymaus

I'm not big on novels/poetry literature because of my ADD (I prefer fast-paced fact-based books that somehow make me maintain my focus better), but one I enjoyed was this one, which happens to be free: "Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins" (also available for free through the Amazon Kindle store). It's somewhat hard sci-fi, a space opera, which is my favorite kind. It has very favorable reviews on Amazon too, so it's not free because it's bad, but rather because it's the first in the trilogy, so the self-published author gave the first one away for promotional reasons.

For non-fiction, I love this book: "The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must". It's very affordable currently, and IMHO it's a must-read for everyone who cares about the future of our species. That's the type of books I like to read actually. When it comes to fiction, I generally prefer movies... ;-)

The one I can't wait to finally buy in my next Amazon bulk purchase, is Alain Badiou's "In Praise of Love".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 am 
anonymaus

One more sci-fi book I'd like to mention is "The Chronoliths". The book describes how the masses can accept as fact an abstract idea and eventually make it real -- just because they believed it was real. It's a very interesting political/social theory-type [science] fiction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 am 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Wow, thanks for the suggestions! The Humanoids by Jack Williamson was one of my favorites to read in terms of sci-fi, though I believe that was compiled and printed from some 40s sci-fi magazine.
I'm mighty curious about your selections. :sherlock:
Currently reading Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:30 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
I found this book: Man Against Myth by Barrows Dunham
This was in my dad's collection. I should read it. I'll see what it's really like. The book was endorsed by Einstein. Kool beanz.

A review of sorts from Algernon on goodreads.com:
This 1947 work by Barrows Dunham holds up remarkably well in 2010.

Dunham was a trained philosopher who felt a responsibility to use philosophy as an instrument for conversation, as a way to help citizens notice and examine the ideas that help or hinder us. The book wields a pin, with enjoyable wit, and pops a number of social myths that have, all the same, endured long after Mr. Dunham.

Myths about human nature, wealth and poverty, racism, the ethic of selfishness, and many more are explored and released in puffs of humor and reason. More importantly, it is an amiable demonstration of the way social myths, unexplored, amass themselves and conceal unambiguous truths about the social arrangements that divide and oppress human beings.

In his own words, introducing the 1962 edition:

"Every one of the myths in this volume has been used, directly or indirectly, to palliate, to excuse, or to justify human slaughter -- the violent extinction, that is to say, not of hundreds of men but of millions. The refutation and abandonment of these myths has thus become necessary to the survival of our race. In so dangerous an epoch of history, one will feel less a civilized Voltairean joy in the extirpation of error than an ardent and hastening wish to save mankind, so far as intellect can save it, by plain exposition of the truth."

Intellect cannot 'save' mankind. The most beautiful and cogent explanation of a myth does not stop the masses from embracing it. This is especially true in an era where, politically, the notion of a consensus reality has been dispensed with, and it is considered part of our politics to choose your own reality. (Dunham does have a chapter on the myth that "thinking makes it so," yet one wonders what he would make of our media culture.)

Until there is a willingness and a courage to try viewing things more as they are, and to learn how to see past our own filters, the mythologizing endures. Precious few are really interested in waking up, and opening up the can of worms of how to use insight and compassion in the world humans have made.

Sadly, Dunham is not here to help us pierce the myth that we can have an infinitely expanding economy on a planet of finite resources. That may be the myth that finally threatens our existence, or exposes us at least to a large reduction of population.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:15 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:12 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

did any of you read the greatest work of fiction?
[ img ]
Who's your favorite character?
More importantly, do you think Jesus had a fair complexion? Perhaps an eloquent troglodyte?
I seen him on an album cover oncest:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm 
little maus on the prairie

AppTrans wrote:
did any of you read the greatest work of fiction?
Yes

Post subject: Books
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 pm 
mausterious

I pretty much only read web development / design books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
reading this for our literary society