Movies

Discuss anything here.

Re: Movies

Postby LadyLazarus » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:36 am

I just watched Young Adult, the new one from Juno team Diablo Cody/Jason Reitman. While not quite as sharp, sweet, or tangy as the former, I found Charlize Theron's depressed alcoholic 'prom queen bitch' surprisingly sympathetic. Also as a bonus it is set in Mausland (small-town Minnesota), which looks comparitively similar to small-town New Hampshire, where I grew up, KenTacoHuts (Kentucky Fried Chicken-Taco Bell-Pizza Hut), and all.
LadyLazarus
maustache

Movies

Postby dean » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:42 am

LadyLazarus wrote:I just watched Young Adult, the new one from Juno team Diablo Cody/Jason Reitman. While not quite as sharp, sweet, or tangy as the former, I found Charlize Theron's depressed alcoholic 'prom queen bitch' surprisingly sympathetic. Also as a bonus it is set in Mausland (small-town Minnesota), which looks comparitively similar to small-town New Hampshire, where I grew up, KenTacoHuts (Kentucky Fried Chicken-Taco Bell-Pizza Hut), and all.

I liked that movie, I bet Teenage Fanclub got paid loads for the amount of times she sung their song! Before coming away to the UK I finally got around to watching 'Hoop Dreams', pretty cool documentary for sure. The (almost) 3 hour run time seemed to fly by, which is pretty useful for someone who generally avoids films if they are much over 90 minutes.
dean
maus is missing

Postby AppTrans » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I mentioned watching Young Adult earlier in this thread. Some of it was pretty decent :delaware:
Sadly I've not watched any movies recently.
Oh I'm excited about this release for next week:
I've seen bits of Feuillade's Fantomas serials but not a lot of these, should be fun
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby ganzergrey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:57 pm

This week:

God Bless America - Satire stuff at the beginning was great.....everything after that was just awful. Turned it off half way through because I couldnt stand the dialogue.
Thrive (Documentary) - One of the best and most all-encompassing political docs I've ever seen.
The Entity - Ehhhhh.....first half hour was good. Lost me shortly after.

Still to watch:

Baby of Macon
Summer with Monika
Edvard Munch
ganzergrey
mausketeer

Movies

Postby dean » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Oh man, I loved God Bless America. It is perhaps one of my favourite films from this year, it is silly and over the top, but so enjoyable.
dean
maus is missing

Postby ricky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:31 pm

I saw Love Is Colder Than Death this weekend. Not my favorite Fassbinder film, but it was interesting to see his early style.

There's something really beautiful about this scene here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytj4zLR8lH8&t=54m47s
ricky
little maus on the prairie

Postby AppTrans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Confessions of a Superhero was a great documentary. So disturbing yet fascinating. Please check it out.
The girl who's Wonder Woman is rather gorgeous, like a dream girl
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby AppTrans » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

I got these yesterday:
I am pretty versed in silent cinema but was pleasantly surprised by Lonesome. It's engaging and thankfully the dialogue is minimal; there are three talkie scenes and they seem pretty awkward.
Look how pretty:

I have also been obsessed with Tommy Wiseau's The Room and finally ordered it. If you have not seen it, do yourself a favor. It's the greatest of the last decade:
oooh i will OWN this (and I'd like to have Ariel and John bobbleheadz 2)
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby MadamAnt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 am

AppTrans wrote:I got these yesterday:
Look how pretty:

Even though it doesn't really look much like it, my first thought was of the Songs album cover. Maus on the brain...!
The film sounds interesting from a historical point of view - the stunted dialogue in the rush to the talkies - and I think I would love the dreamy imagery, color tinting and the overall romantic premise of it. One for the watch list!
MadamAnt
country maus

Postby AppTrans » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

MA maybe you would like Sunrise by FW Murnau, that is if you haven't seen it before. i remember how hard it was to track Sunrise down but I manage to get it a few years ago on Amazon
AppTrans
¯\(º_o)/¯

Postby ganzergrey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Killer Joe - I don't know where to begin. I don't remember ever having such mixed feelings about a film before. All the reviews were really polarized but I was super pumped for this anyways. There were some serious continuity problems, the sound design felt weird, the style of the score awkward, the violence was sub-standardly realistic, the make up was awful, Emile Hirsch seemed more like the little kid from The Girl Next Girl trying to look like Dicaprio and doing a poor impression of the kind of character he was supposed to be. There was too much going on. The movie felt 3 hours long. It felt like they re-inacted the play script word for word and scene for scene, off stage. Yet despite all this, I admired how uncliche it all was, and it had two utterly, insanely, amazingly intense scenes. Also, it had the best closing credits song placement I have ever seen. I was disappointed, but I'd like to see it again once its released on DVD. What a paradoxical thing....

Cosmopolis.....this too left me feeling quite dichotomous. I enjoyed it a lot, yet I found myself yawning a few times. Neither Cronenberg's past films nor the trailer could prepare me for how slow and strange and dialogue driven this would be. It's an adaptation of a very intellectually dense book after all. I've never read any Don DeLillo and there were some themes and ideas and metaphors in this that really blew me away (ie. the idea of the car representing the hear-no-evil-see-no-evil 'bubble' of utility/safety/separation). For being so sparse and dialogue-based, there were a few really fabulous scenes in this also. I adored the score also, as elusive as it was. Really would like to see this again and definitely a film you spend hours thinking and talking about. The sad thing was my lady and I saw it the evening after it opened here in Dallas and there were no more than a dozen people in attendance.

Half of them walked out during :(
ganzergrey
mausketeer

Postby LadyLazarus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Ganzergrey, can you please tell me about the 'fried chicken' scene everyone was so grossed out by in Killer Joe?
LadyLazarus
maustache

Postby ganzergrey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

chicken fried fellatio. kentucky fried cabeza.
a shock scene, but an effective one.
ganzergrey
mausketeer

Postby ganzergrey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm

ImageWatched The Pusher 3 last night, having not seen the first two in the trilogy. It was a bleak, gore-filled movie, but I really liked it. Can't wait to see the first two.
ganzergrey
mausketeer

Postby liam » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:54 pm

AppTrans wrote:dark knight = macho twilight
That's horrible what happened in Colorado. Sad, and for what?

Haha so if they'd died watching some arty foreign film it would have been better?
liam
little maus on the prairie

PreviousNext

Return to General