Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Movies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

[ img ]
Confessions of a Superhero was a great documentary. So disturbing yet fascinating. Please check it out.
The girl who's Wonder Woman is rather gorgeous, like a dream girl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I got these yesterday:
[ img ]
[ img ]
I am pretty versed in silent cinema but was pleasantly surprised by Lonesome. It's engaging and thankfully the dialogue is minimal; there are three talkie scenes and they seem pretty awkward.
Look how pretty:
[ img ]

I have also been obsessed with Tommy Wiseau's The Room and finally ordered it. If you have not seen it, do yourself a favor. It's the greatest of the last decade:
[ img ]
oooh i will OWN this (and I'd like to have Ariel and John bobbleheadz 2)
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 am 
country maus

AppTrans wrote:
I got these yesterday:
Look how pretty:
[ img ]
Even though it doesn't really look much like it, my first thought was of the Songs album cover. Maus on the brain...!
The film sounds interesting from a historical point of view - the stunted dialogue in the rush to the talkies - and I think I would love the dreamy imagery, color tinting and the overall romantic premise of it. One for the watch list!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

MA maybe you would like Sunrise by FW Murnau, that is if you haven't seen it before. i remember how hard it was to track Sunrise down but I manage to get it a few years ago on Amazon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Ganzergrey, can you please tell me about the 'fried chicken' scene everyone was so grossed out by in Killer Joe?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:54 pm 
little maus on the prairie

AppTrans wrote:
dark knight = macho twilight
That's horrible what happened in Colorado. Sad, and for what?
Haha so if they'd died watching some arty foreign film it would have been better?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Would that even be possible? Perhaps in a different dimension. In that case, it would most likely be mass suicide if they were in an arthouse theater, and what media outlets would care about that? That would solely be zine material, not sensational enough for network TV. And imagine the perils spawned from Breathless!
Some of these superhero movies are all about role playing and "becoming" something bigger than themselves...ergo the little man who thought he could...and did :S
Not the movie's fault of course! However, I think Christopher Nolan movies might be in a special vein of arty mainstream cinema. For instance, Inception relishes confounding the viewers in a way that's similar to Godard, no? Just with millions of dollars behind it.
It's sad when death occurs in general for any kind of art. That includes the electrocution for hair metal bands!

I was watching a documentary about Rasputin...what an interesting fellow!
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 pm 
mausterious

AppTrans wrote:
[ img ]
Confessions of a Superhero was a great documentary. So disturbing yet fascinating. Please check it out.
The girl who's Wonder Woman is rather gorgeous, like a dream girl
Yeah I remember watching this, it was dark if I recall. Superheroes is worth watching too - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1792621/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm 
little maus on the prairie

AppTrans wrote:
Some of these superhero movies are all about role playing and "becoming" something bigger than themselves...ergo the little man who thought he could...and did :S
Not the movie's fault of course!
The subject of the film had nothing to do with him killing people. If superhero films made people murder each other in cinemas, it would be happening all over the planet instead of once in one place

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm 
john everymaus

Anyone see The Master yet? Going at 7:30 today. I'll be back to post my opinion. I love PTA so I expect to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Recently acquired this documentary:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm 
john everymaus

I thought The Master was great, and if you're interested in a good character study, go see it. The acting is also pretty phenomenal. Joaquin's character is so unpredictable and fun to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

While the acting was great and there were dynamic moments, I thought the Master failed a bit in terms of composition. I hate those moments that are "laced" with profundity (JP walking back and forth in the room, touching the wall and the window...outcome), and I cringed when Amy Adams gave PSH a handjob...it just didn't match the essence of the picture. That kind of gratuitous stuff makes it less satisfying to me.
The first recorded audit/interview, whatever you want to call it, was a super scene. It's difficult to convey/portray hypnosis, rather reverse hypnosis, as an actor...just brilliant. You're right PG about it being a character study, but I wanted to see a bit more about the collective manipulation involved.
The movie got me thinking though, and I always have faith in PT Anderson. Overall good movie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

Looper was GREAT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm 
¯\(º_o)/¯

I really want to see Samsara! I was blown away by Baraka when I first watched it years ago.