Maus Space

I've continually had a liking for the mystical, but it wasn't until I matured a little iota that I discovered John Maus!
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 pm 
anonymaus

possiblegrenade wrote:
[ img ]

setlist from the chapel show. lots of oldies.
Seems like it was an awesome show. Great setlist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 am 
anonymaus

possiblegrenade wrote:
[ img ]

setlist from the chapel show. lots of oldies.
That is a REALLY good setlist, starting off with Nostradamus seems odd, but I bet it worked.
What about that song "Hang On To Life"? Is that new?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:35 pm 
little maus on the prairie

Wow. That's a good setlist. The show in SD was much shorter than that and I guess Holy Shit did show up to the San Francisco show.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 pm 
john everymaus

They had t shirts last night. It was the same is this the best spot design but on a gray shirt instead of tan...the new song will be released on a 7" on july 9th on mexican summer.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 am 
anonymaus

kate wrote:
They had t shirts last night. It was the same is this the best spot design but on a gray shirt instead of tan...the new song will be released on a 7" on july 9th on mexican summer.
WhOA!!! It's so DIFfrrent!? That's a little disappointing...
Is the new song good? Did he play it last night?
Was the show good overall?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
john everymaus

The show was amazing! The setlist was pretty much the same as what's posted here but not in that order. They started with gray sunset then strange fires then want me. That blew me away!!! They came back on for an encore but they only did helen, no pink slime. No she's my girl. The new song is good...I was kinda confused they were playing something I had never heard... they have a newguy, george. George is doing joes old job, joes doing kennys and kennys on drums and loving it!! George was really good! Very impressive.
And ariel wore a shirt I gave him so that makes me happy. If anybody else sees him wearing a sheer pink shirt with little horses on it pls tell me!! I call it the symphony of the nymph shirt.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:37 pm 
little maus on the prairie

Jorge Elbrecht is his full name. Recently collaborated with Tamaryn and covered a Turning Shrines song.
https://soundcloud.com/mexicansummer/jo ... -tamaryn-1

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 pm 
anonymaus

[ img ]

Is this that shirt you were talking about?
It's pretty awesome 8D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 am 
john everymaus

That's it!! And I didn't get any good pictures so thanks for finding that!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:54 am 
john everymaus

really hoping to hear trepanated earth.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
john everymaus

I think you will pg. It is soooooo good live!! Oh ya on the merch table they also had ku klux glam and ariel w added pizzaz on vinyl. The added pizazz ones were signed too....they also had some dvds but not of shows..not with ariel in them either...I wasn't real clear on what they were exactly I just knew ariels not in them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 pm 
anonymaus

kate wrote:
I think you will pg. It is soooooo good live!! Oh ya on the merch table they also had ku klux glam and ariel w added pizzaz on vinyl. The added pizazz ones were signed too....they also had some dvds but not of shows..not with ariel in them either...I wasn't real clear on what they were exactly I just knew ariels not in them.
one of 'um is this [ img ] anyone know what the other one was? mostly black + parental advisory sticker? they looked interestin but didnt have tha ca$h :sadluvparty:

i didnt see that setlist pic til now so seein ALISA live in person was a nice surprise! ! onea my favs, that 1, and didnt expect to ever see it played -------- no HELEN in minneapolis though, i woulda liked that . . . ariel sed the new song was written by him & jorge
caught some clips of gummo and dogtooth on the projector n i think another film i forgot |edit| oh yeah aguirre the wrath of god during kinski assassin of course
GOOD

BYe!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm 
john everymaus

WHERE's ANDREW!! I need to know about the show(s)!!!!

sound like Minneapolis was fun - missing these midwest shows is really killing me!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 am 
anonymaus

kate wrote:
WHERE's ANDREW!! I need to know about the show(s)!!!!

sound like Minneapolis was fun - missing these midwest shows is really killing me!!!!
Whoo!!! Man, Jamie was right! Kate did really want me to report back!

I apologize, I've been quite the busy person on the weekends. (Shows...graduation parties....social gatherings... ect. ect.)

Anyway, it was a 21+. After some asking, I was able to get in. With my sister, she was REALLY excited too!

Waited a little bit, then Purple Pilgrims played, and I liked them a lot! I was one of like 3 people actually paying attention. So I felt a little bad about that. (they were cute too!)
Half an hour later, they all went into the women's bathroom, and came out in graduation robe-type-of-thing. (except Ariel)
The entire stage was dark, and the only light was coming from a little lamp he had pinned on to his jacket. So some of the pictures did not turn out too well.
He had us back up a bit and read from a newspaper while he walked around, then they did Strange Fires (I'll have a picture of the setlist later.) It was really good, and I was excited! The setlist was very similar from the one posted here earlier.
But, the soundboard/mixer/PA kept messing up. His vocals kept peaking, and the drums were poorly mixed in with the rest of what was being played. WAY to much re-verb! He tried to direct the soundboard guy to fix his vocals, but nothing really changed, at a certain point he just did not care anymore. All the songs sounded...bland, stale, and it felt like no energy was put into them. Ariel mostly stood in the same place and just sang, nothing else. He was only playing to maybe 40 people MAX and it felt like only a girl from Wisconsin (Casey?) and, I were into it.

After he played Baby, he just ran off stage and went outside.
That was it.
I looked at the setlist, he had 3 more songs to play. HANG ON TO LIFE!!!! So I still haven't heard that yet. Worst part is, I won't here it until it's released. and Mature Themes and Nostradamus were supposed to be played too.
Also an encore that never happened.

Needless to say... I was disappointed. :'(

Kept on thinking I should have gone to the Chicago show :headslap:
I tried talking to him, and it felt like he was trying to change the conversation or try to get out of it.
He and this girl Kate seemed pretty attached to each other. It was her 21st birthday apparently.
I saw them run to the bathroom together....wonder what happened?
Tried saying hello to Tim, he didn't really want to talk either.
The new guitar player was really nice, I could tell he kind of wanted to talk. He had to learn all the songs by himself. I always wondered if Ariel had any chords or tabs, just something to go off of. but he had to learn them all by ear. Which sounds REALLY hard.

For merch, they had what Kate said they had.
Ku Klux Glam, the in-print albums. and the shirt. Which I bought. The dvds, from what I was told were the videos playing on the projector. I just was not interested at the time.
Also KKK was $100... can't you get for like $40 from the label?
I picked up a couple of your pins. I LOVE THEM! By the way.

So not the show, I was hoping for.
felt a little betrayed
I've spent so much time listening to his music and thinking about how he would be, like in real life.
And you can't expect a really deep conversation with him. But I was just hoping I would see a better show...at least.

So that was my first Ariel Pink experience.
I got a little bit of the Trepanated Earth, 5 minuets or so of Purple Pilgrims, and some decent pictures. I'll post those tomorrow.
Sorry this was so long...
I'm thinking it might be better next time though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:06 pm 
john everymaus

That's really unfortunate, sorry to hear about that. Show in Cleveland tonight. Hope it's not a repeat.